IGNORED

Jag Encryption - Round 2

Curt Vendel

I will make a couple of changes to the code before I build a new version of Painter. I want to fix a couple of things, before I re-release it.

That's awesome! I still have a few copies for our store, and need to order more soon. I'll PM you about getting a few new CDs to replace the ones I already have and ordering another round..

..Al

I was initially a little concerned when I released this stuff about the negative side of things, of people with existing products that had to use the bypass equipment, universal header and so forth, but perhaps now I think what I'm seeing is actually an opportunity for new old stock to be refreshed and for people to get an opportunity to buy "upgraded" versions or Special Editions. Most importantly (and I know this from my own personal view) that people who have NOT purchased products because of the issues of not having an encrypted CD or Cart will now purchase those products at long last for the first time, I know I plan to when I start to see encrypted releases.

Curt

I will make a couple of changes to the code before I build a new version of Painter. I want to fix a couple of things, before I re-release it.

Gordon, do you think you could include an embedded BJL loader as well this time round, just like Protector SE has? That way, people can still download homebrew demos and games and try them on their Jaguars even if they can't burn them to CD.

For instance, there a good number of demos out there already which are not on CD, and burning them to CD isn't a simple task I think. For example I have a CD-writer but it's rather old, and won't write multi-session audio, so I'm still stuck until I can afford to buy a new writer.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Gordon, do you think you could include an embedded BJL loader as well this time round, just like Protector SE has? That way, people can still download homebrew demos and games and try them on their Jaguars even if they can't burn them to CD.  

For instance, there a good number of demos out there already which are not on CD, and burning them to CD isn't a simple task I think. For example I have a CD-writer but it's rather old, and won't write multi-session audio, so I'm still stuck until I can afford to buy a new writer.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I could do that. I can also put code in to boot an unencrypted CD. I have a few bugfixes to include also. So, if anyone has any suggestions for inclusion in Painter, let me know!

Gordon

That would be some great stuff. I would probably like to buy an encrypted version with the bjl stuff.

It'd be great to have a bypass CD. However, I thought you couldn't swap cds in the JagCD? When I open the tray lid, the system automatically resets itself. Unless somebody has figured out a way to bypass that as well...?

There are functions specified within the CD Bios that allow for stopping and changing the CD.

If the CD is opened whilst the disk is still spinning then yes a reset occurs.

Well, if it's opened while the disk is spinning AND the program hasn't asked to change CDs then it'll reset ;)

</pedantry>

Stone

Most importantly (and I know this from my own personal view) that people who have NOT purchased products because of the issues of not having an encrypted CD or Cart will now purchase those products at long last for the first time, I know I plan to when I start to see encrypted releases.

Curt

I'm one of those people. Painter, as an example, intrigued me, but not "enough" to get a bypass cart ($$$). Same thing for lots of the other homebrew stuff. Perhaps this will open up a new golden age of Jag development and give many of us a reason to more actively utilize our systems...

Aww yeah, a completed version of Slam Racer would be the ultimate bonus. 8)

*drool*

Even a short edition with two or three tracks would be an awesome stand alone release well worth purchasing. :thumbsup:

(I don't know how many tracks are on the demo, I've never beaten the first one :P )

(I don't know how many tracks are on the demo, I've never beaten the first one :P )

Good thing, that is the only one :D

The level-editor's built in...Gordon, where in RAM does the level data live? If I get really bored one day I might make another track if it's literally a case of dumping the memory to disk and then including it as a binary within the distro 8)

Stone

• Like 1

The level-editor's built in...Gordon, where in RAM does the level data live? If I get really bored one day I might make another track if it's literally a case of dumping the memory to disk and then including it as a binary within the distro 8)

Stone

Can't the MemoryTrack be used to save the edited-levels?

Stone

Can't the MemoryTrack be used to save the edited-levels?

No. The game's RAM-based, not CD-based. It just happens to be running from a CD :) AIUI the necessary routines were never included to have that feature as it was only going to be Gordon making the levels, and the game was going to be cart-based anyway. But I could be wrong ;)

Stone

Thats a good idea, with a little luck Sinigord might add it. At the moment Painter makes no use of memory track at all, I presume because it's impossible for most people to have both a memory track cartridge inserted and run a bypass to boot the cd, but now that's no longer an issue, future releases could save levels to memory track in theory yes, lets hope it gets implimented.

They do yes, but its now doubtful if anything will ever use them, since we can encrypt CD's now, and since the standards were always I believe the subject of a little disagreement, from a technical as well as personal view, I doubt many developers will use them, and instead rely on memory track only.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

i have uploaded a ZIP-archive with an easy to use tool for doing Jaguar CD encryption. The tool is derived from the Atari Encryption tool but does run with all types of DevKits, not only Alpine-boards, the only necessary additional hardware is a Jaguar-to-PC serial connection.

http://www.domin-connect.de/Atari/Jaguar/j...ion20041018.zip

Regards

Matthias

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just thought I'd ping this message, to celebrate the anniversary.

However, I was 2 days late. Oops. Anyway, thanks again Curt...

Okay...

I believe that these are THE disks, Glenn Bruner said to look for a disk marked with DAVE on it, well the jagcdenc2.zip came from a diskette marked CDAVEZ and the jagenc2.zip disk for Cart encryption was in the same envelope....

Okay guys, work them over, see if they are THE real deal.

Do you still remember that feeling of elation hearing that news...?

Now if only I'd completed something already to celebrate this... :(

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hi JustClaws...

..hmm... has it been 2 years?... hot jikkedy... and still nothing "brand new" released... makes you (speking in general terms, but actually meaning, me) kind of wonder the state of the UGD on the jaguar scene.

Though this "discovery" ...(which Im still wondering how it could be "lost" for so meny years, personally i know my atari inventory down to the last coord ;) ...helps future releases ALLOT! and opens up new doors for jag games, it's a bit sad that nothing is released yet... not even a bootable demo...

I know peiple out there have enough skills to do small demos/games, but why not just DO it! and link the .iso for eveyrone to dwl..

Perhapps it is time to do a "Jaqguar Online COMPO" with some kind of price... ? ...ahh well...

Nice stuff Curt! ceep em coming :)

cheers

/Symmetry ....(been coding jaguar for more than 2 years.. so tell me to "speak for myself" ;)

Hello,

..hmm... has it been 2 years?... hot jikkedy... and still nothing "brand new" released...
The thread started on...

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:36 pm

By my calculation, Nov 12, 2003 until 15 November, 2004 is ~1 year!

makes you (speking in general terms, but actually meaning, me) kind of wonder the state of the UGD on the jaguar scene.
Well of course a lot has happened in the last year... and we've got Clicks, Painter+, Mad Bodies, Mighty Frog, Gorf, and other projects to look forward to... so at least some Jaguar UGD developers were not idle. :-)

it's a bit sad that nothing is released yet... not even a bootable demo...
Well there has been... Ocean Depths was on an encrypted CD, and various CD's from Songbird and B&C are now on encrypted CD's instead of ones requiring CD bypass cartridges, Protector SE or BSG. Also Belboz released a CD which was a CD bypass CD itself.

Remind yourself of the good things already achieved.

I know peiple out there have enough skills to do small demos/games, but why not just DO it! and link the .iso for eveyrone to dwl..
Well an ISO doesn't help with the Jaguar does it. You need a rather

different layout for a Jaguar CD! However, people are DOING it. :-)

I just think just with the limited time people have, it's slow progress,

for me one to two hours a week on average doesn't aid my projects.

Perhapps it is time to do a "Jaqguar Online COMPO" with some kind of price... ? ...ahh well...
Why not? I'd like to win a Flash cart! Any sponsors out there? Anyone?

Yes, also, I'd love to everybody release something, even a token...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Actually my CD I released was a BJL loader CD. Basically it gives somebody a way to download code to their Jaguar without modifying their Jaguar with a BJL rom. I believe my CD was the first publicly released user made encrypted CD.

Hello,

Also Belboz released a CD which was a CD bypass CD itself.