IGNORED

8 Bit Video Out

Atari Smeghead

Okay, I have it working! It isn't pretty the way I had to bypass the wire that isn't in there. I had to break off the pin right next to the audio, and then solder inside of the end of the din and make the audio go thru to the pin 5 wire. Looks bad, but is fully functional, I guess that is all that matters.

I am still having some adjustment probelms with the small potentiometer that adjusts the color. It seems to be very touchy and sometimes just changes the color out of nowhere. Is there a way to clean that small adjustment pot?

Not so fast :) Its not perfect yet. The color still likes shifting on its own. And I took the top off and looked really close at that potentiometer and it looks as if the contact material on the bottom has worn off a little bit. It is right in the spot where it should be adjusted.

Is there a way to get new ones. Or NOS? I thought about bending the center point out to the edge. I am almost 100% sure this is what is wrong with the color.

post-3803-1071122561_thumb.jpg

Well, you have a couple options here.

The pot does look worn (and cheap). You could try soldering a 1M resistor between one of the legs on the left (of the picture), and the leg on the right. This will change the range of the pot somewhat and move the correct adjustment point away from that area (in other words, adding the 1M resistor is the same as turning the pot some distance. Depending on which of the two legs on the left you pick, it will equal either a clockwise, or counter-clockwise turn).

Find a replacement 500K trimmer pot. Radio Shack may have one available either by itself, or in an assortment pack.

-Bry

• 15 years later...

SO, this REALLY old thread I am bumping back up. I have an 800xl with a wonky potentiometer that reminds me of an Eddie Izzard bit on toaster and shower 'turny buttons' where I am looking for the one nano-millimeter between blue and purple to get a steady blue. I even applied an old trick of a light coat of nail polish on the top to hold the pot in place. Options:

1. Since Bryan's 2003 post, things got invented like his AMAZING S-Video adapter, and the Sophia. I have an extra Sophia that was to go to a 600xl, but thought to ask: if I put it in the 800xl, would the digital out BYPASS the pot?

2. If "NO" to 1, does anyone have a decent tutorial via pics or video on how to do one of Bryan's suggested two options above?

Options:

1. Since Bryan's 2003 post, things got invented like his AMAZING S-Video adapter, and the Sophia. I have an extra Sophia that was to go to a 600xl, but thought to ask: if I put it in the 800xl, would the digital out BYPASS the pot?

2. If "NO" to 1, does anyone have a decent tutorial via pics or video on how to do one of Bryan's suggested two options above?

I would say, the first and cheapest option is to replace the pot! It´s an absolute standard pot (500k, linear) with 10 or 15mm pitch (different mainboards exists, look). You will find them from Piher for example at the most electronic parts stores for less than 2 bucks.

When you install a VBXE or Sophia and use their output, the color regulating circuit isn´t used, so a defective pot has no impact. You will get always good colors with Sophia (RGB or DVI, not dependent) or VBXE.

If you want to keep the standard video output, I would prefer buying an UAV. Look here.

• Like 1

The UAV is great. I have about half a dozen of them in various Atari computers and consoles. That said, putting a UAV into the system won’t sidestep the issue of a bad color pot. I don’t know off-hand if the footprint is the same, but this is the part spec’d out on the 1088XEL and 1088XLD bills of materials. Very well-made, quality pot for an Atari computer color circuit. :)

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=3319P-1-504-ND

• Like 1

I do know (and love) the UAV and have one in my main XL. That is great technical info that the UAV, even with its pot does not replace nor sidestep the issue on the motherboard pot. Sophia - nice to know it bypasses the pot! I think a replacement pot is the way to go. That digikey link is just what I need, thanks! The cost is dirt cheap too - only wish I could get a Hakko desoldering set for the same. :)

• 9 months later...
On 11/23/2003 at 6:42 PM, Albert said:

Whoops, my bad, I could have sworn the 800XL had the chroma signal at the monitor port. I know I was using an 800XL with a 1702 and an s-video cable I built back in the early 80s, and I don't recall having to modify it. But that was 20 years ago, so who knows. :)

..Al

You know I remember the same.... My 2 800 XLs were bought brand new in canada.

• 2 years later...

Here it is from atarimania....

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-are-the-pinouts-for-the-various-connectors-on-the-atari_16.html

Monitor port (looking at back of computer) (all but 400, NTSC 600XL, SECAM 800XL/130XE/XEgs):
  3 o       o 1
     o     o       DIN-5 180 Socket - female
   5    o    4
1. Composite Luminance ("Y") (PAL 600XL: Not Connected)
2. Ground
3. Audio Output
4. Composite Video (NTSC or PAL standard)
5. Composite Chrominance ("C"; NTSC or PAL standard) (1200XL: Not Connected;
         PAL 600XL: Ground; all but very late-production 800XL: Not Connected)

Here's the s-video cable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

S-video is this, looking at the female connector....

4 o      o 3

2 o      o 1

Pins 1 and 2 are ground

Pin 3 is Luminance

Pin 4 is Color

This results in the following connections:

Atari                 S-Video

Pin 2          to    Pins 1 and 2

Pin 1          to    Pin 3

Pin 5          to    Pin 4

Edited by reifsnyderb

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Here it is from atarimania....

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-are-the-pinouts-for-the-various-connectors-on-the-atari_16.html

Monitor port (looking at back of computer) (all but 400, NTSC 600XL, SECAM 800XL/130XE/XEgs):
  3 o       o 1
     o     o       DIN-5 180 Socket - female
   5    o    4
1. Composite Luminance ("Y") (PAL 600XL: Not Connected)
2. Ground
3. Audio Output
4. Composite Video (NTSC or PAL standard)
5. Composite Chrominance ("C"; NTSC or PAL standard) (1200XL: Not Connected;
         PAL 600XL: Ground; all but very late-production 800XL: Not Connected)

Here's the s-video cable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

S-video is this, looking at the female connector....

4 o      o 3

2 o      o 1

Pins 1 and 2 are ground

Pin 3 is Luminance

Pin 4 is Color

This results in the following connections:

Atari                 S-Video

Pin 2          to    Pins 1 and 2

Pin 1          to    Pin 3

Pin 5          to    Pin 4

Thank for for the specific info. I wired it as per instructions and still getting a grey screen background - not the normal Atari blue.

Could it me an issue with my UAV? EDIT: I had a second UAV and installed it with the same grey colour issue.

Any other ideas from anyone?

Edited by macsonny

8 minutes ago, macsonny said:

Thank for for the specific info. I wired it as per instructions and still getting a grey screen background - not the normal Atari blue.

Could it me an issue with my UAV? EDIT: I had a second UAV and installed it with the same grey colour issue.

Any other ideas from anyone?

Are you installing the UAV in a 600XL or 800XL?  They usually need a wire (with a 100 ohm resistor) ran to pin 5 of the monitor port for chroma otherwise they will display black and white on S-Video.

That being said, I never installed a UAV.  (I just make some improvements on the existing video circuits.)

Edit:  Looking at the UAV instructions, it looks like you may need to run that wire.  Also, in the 600XL instructions there is mention of another wire needed for color.  (Page 10)

https://usermanual.wiki/m/78e8193d76a260957459e71a9079e728ca412a64c78103a3655c4e7ca6cd55db.pdf

Edited by reifsnyderb

8 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Are you installing the UAV in a 600XL or 800XL?  They usually need a wire (with a 100 ohm resistor) ran to pin 5 of the monitor port for chroma otherwise they will display black and white on S-Video.

That being said, I never installed a UAV.  (I just make some improvements on the existing video circuits.)

Edit:  Looking at the UAV instructions, it looks like you may need to run that wire.  Also, in the 600XL instructions there is mention of another wire needed for color.  (Page 10)

https://usermanual.wiki/m/78e8193d76a260957459e71a9079e728ca412a64c78103a3655c4e7ca6cd55db.pdf

Running on a 800XL. I have run a wire from the "COLOR IN" connector on the UAV to PIN 5 on the Atari video port but I'll double check.

2 hours ago, macsonny said:

Running on a 800XL. I have run a wire from the "COLOR IN" connector on the UAV to PIN 5 on the Atari video port but I'll double check.

Sorry - my mistake. I'm running from pin 4 -> Chroma on the UAV.

What do you mean I need a 100 ohm resistor on pin 5? 

Also, I've now tried composite and s-video cables and BOTH give me a display with no colour?

32 minutes ago, macsonny said:

Sorry - my mistake. I'm running from pin 4 -> Chroma on the UAV.

What do you mean I need a 100 ohm resistor on pin 5? 

Also, I've now tried composite and s-video cables and BOTH give me a display with no colour?

Does it matter I'm trying to go through and OSSC?