IGNORED

Project Gotham Racing 2 Demo

Adrian M

I just played the demo briefly (on the OXM Holiday issue demo disc) and while the graphics are impressive, the control seems a bit off from the first game. Anyone noticed this?

Specifically, the control seems too twitchy and overly sensitive than I remember it. It's far too easy to go into an unintentional powerslide if you turn ever so slightly, and this seems to happen on all of the various challenges. A shame, since I enjoyed PGR1 and actually managed to unlock most of what that game had to offer.

Anyone have the full version of the game yet? Does it take some major relearning to get good at this game or is the demo version a good representation of what I can expect?

I have Project Gotham Racing 2 and it controls just as good as the first one. The control in PGR2 does have a very slight different feel from PGR though, but once you get used to it, it controls just as good. PGR2 is up there with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Wolfenstein, Brute Force, Crimson Skies and Star Wars: KOTOR, as one of the best XB games this year.

I think I may be the only one that was extremely dissapointed in Project Gotham Racing (1). Maybe I just hyped myself up too much for it. I bought it several months before I had access to an XBox. I've read numerous other threads though where people have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Midnight Club for PS2 was also rather dissapointing to me. Maybe I'm just getting out of the racing games?

I think I may be the only one that was extremely dissapointed in Project Gotham Racing (1).  Maybe I just hyped myself up too much for it.  I bought it several months before I had access to an XBox.  I've read numerous other threads though where people have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Midnight Club for PS2 was also rather dissapointing to me.  Maybe I'm just getting out of the racing games?

Well, the main reason that PGR really appealed to me was due to the various challenges, unlockables, and the Kudos system. Bascially gimmicks, but these little factors held my attention long enough than most non-rally racing games. I mainly go for the Rally Racing games like Sega Rally and Rallisport Challenge since I love the exaggerated powerslides gameplay aspect which requires some degree of controlled skill.

Aside from that, I too found the Midnight Clubs, Tokyo Extreme Racings and even the various GT games (Sega GT, GT3, etc) to be kinda dull. I'm not much into the tweaking and modifying portions of these games...I like to actually race for more than a few laps. I guess my choice in racing games indicates this as well...

I have the original PGR and although it is a very good game, I don't think it's the great game everyone makes it out to be. PGR2 certinly looks amazing and on my OXM (UK) demo it felt quite similar to the original.

I also didn't really like Midnight Club II although it was better online (a little bit better)

I do however really like Sega GT and am looking forward to the new online version about to be released. I may get PGR2 but not sure yet.

Never played PGR.  I didn't like MSR on the Dreamcast though.  Are they more or less the same?

Essentially yes. PGR is a the successor the MSR on the DC.

PGR enhanced the visuals, made the control easier to master (particularly the powerslides) and the Kudos system was a little more forgiving.

I can't say that I enjoyed MSR much either.