IGNORED

MEGA-CONTEST! The Room 34 Adventure Challenge

Room 34

Also, whenever you confront a new challenge, you'll see a count indicating the number of other adventurers who've already completed that challenge!

That's cool.

Could you display the number also for already completed challenges? That would make the contest standings even more transparent.

Could you display the number also for already completed challenges? That would make the contest standings even more transparent.

Actually I WANTED to add that but because of the way I have things coded it would take a LOT of reworking to add that capability, and I don't think it would be a good idea to tinker with the code to that extent at this point.

Would it be concidered cheating by using your scanner to scan the puzzle and turning it into a TXT file? Thanks!

Any method you have at your disposal is fair game... there's no way for me to stop you anyway!

Actually I WANTED to add that but because of the way I have things coded it would take a LOT of reworking to add that capability, and I don't think it would be a good idea to tinker with the code to that extent at this point.

Yup, better leave the code untouched.

But maybe you can post a daily update here. Or I'll have to create different accounts. ;)

I have pretty much given up on this already (back on page 3 or 4) but I even downloaded a program called Turbo Solve Pro. Which solves word searches, and there are no more words in there ANYWHERE that I didn't find before typing in the full grid.

As Thomas already knows I am not much for in-depth puzzles, but I hope you all have fun with it, because as soon as it stopped being fun for me, I quit. (Notice I don't quit on everything though, I did beat thrust, which took some determination)

Thomas Jentzsch has requested a daily update of the status of the contest, i.e. how many people have solved each challenge. I was reluctant to post any information concerning challenges people haven't gotten to yet, but since everyone (naturally) drops hints about where they are as things progress, I guess it's OK for me to at least publicly acknowledge the existence of each challenge as people reach them. (But I am not going to tell you about the ones no one has gotten to yet, nor will I tell you how many there are in total. :D :twisted: )

I may not do this daily, but I will give an update as of right now, Sunday Nov 30 at 10:48 PM EST.

TOTAL ADVENTURERS: 195

COMPLETION COUNT FOR KNOWN CHALLENGES:

1. Atari Trivia #1: 109

2. Atari Trivia #2: 66

3. Atari Trivia #3: 49

4. Atari Word Search: 4

5. Atari Trivia #4: 4

6. Atari Box Art Mystery: 0

Beyond... :?

:D

Well, looks like I'm joining the ranks of the quitters. The word search puzzle is just too hard for me. I think it's one of those that you have to think in a certain way, and I'm just not wired like that. It ceased being fun long ago, and now it's just a pure frustration. :mad: It's disappointing, too. To get such an arbitrarily difficult puzzle so early in the contest that looks as cool as this one does. I really like the design of the game. I wish I could have a chance to see the rest of it. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Great job, Scott! Have fun running the game!

And good luck to everyone else!

-Chris

It ceased being fun long ago, and now it's just a pure frustration. :mad:  It's disappointing, too.  To get such an arbitrarily difficult puzzle so early in the contest that looks as cool as this one does.  

I'm sorry to hear that many people involved are giving up. It's true that the puzzle is very difficult... I did that to give it some longevity, in the style of Ben's puzzles. If you haven't gone back and looked at the threads concerning his earlier contests, I suggest doing so before giving up completely.

;)

OFFICIAL CLUE #1

When in Grundle's Lair you be,

Ponder ye this clue from me:

Hints abound in puzzle and thread,

Obscured by twists of word.

If you wish to escape this dread,

Hearken back to what you've heard.

Your visage darkened by clouds,

Remember the silver lining.

Think of all the games you've found,

And which may still be hiding.

— The Evil Magician :D

OFFICIAL CLUE #1

When in Grundle's Lair you be,

Ponder ye this clue from me:

Hints abound in puzzle and thread,

Obscured by twists of word.

If you wish to escape this dread,

Hearken back to what you've heard.

Your visage darkened by clouds,

Remember the silver lining.

Think of all the games you've found,

And which may still be hiding.

— The Evil Magician :D

Unfortunately, I already know what "group" of game titles I'm looking in, so this doesn't help me much. But I'll keep looking.

I feel like an idiot because I printed out the word search, have cut it into several smaller pieces and swapped them around, but still nothing conclusive. :sad: