IGNORED

Which PS1 games use hi-res (~640x480)?

RCmodeler

I know they did Hi res for R4, great looking game but control and gameplay extremely crappy

Wha?? Ow. That hurts, my favourite game of all time. It does have it's own control system unique in the Ridge series but give it time and it feels beautifully logical - and it's best played with the Jogcon.

Actually I'm not at all sure R4 IS high res. The pack-in Ridge 1 demo is high res but as for the game proper..

• Like 1

Colony Wars....

In fact, I don't know how one can play Colony Wars w/o a good S-video capable monitor. Ttext is hard to read otherwise. Great game BTW. Took forever to finish it.

-Lee

I purchased this game from a bargin bin while I was bored in Muskegon visiting my mom... It's a pretty good game! I've had lots of fun playing it. I'll have to try it out in hi-res mode though, and I need to get a nice S-Video adapter for my PS2. Text looks pretty good with composite on my WEGA.

R4 is Hi res apparently none of you ever read the manual or the docs in Ridge Racer Hi res demo

I say once again the controls on R4 are crappy and the only PS1 controller I have is a dual shock. I prefer the controls on Rage Racer it's the best of the series. Simply for this reason it let you adjust your cars tires from full drift to tight as hell and everything in between. If Namco gave us the same option in R4 it would of been a much better game...and that system to get new cars and not let you race them ishhh!

• 16 years later...
12 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

I know this thread is now legally old enough to have sex in my country, but I wanted to add NHL Rock the Rink to the list. It looks and plays great even in the future of 2020!

I was wondering why there was a PS1 thread in the Modern Gaming section and figured it had something to do with digital downloads. Then I read through and realized that PS1 WAS Modern Gaming when this thread started! 

• Haha 2

LOL yeah it was pretty modern in 03.

I was going to say how to get high res out of playstation, but the original had rgb built in. Later models may have supported it, or svideo through a plug. By the time I got the system, the rgb was long gone, and when I replaced it, even the parallel port had been axed. The final dedicated console I got was the one, and it was pretty bare bones by then.

• 3 weeks later...

Video, I think you're confused. The thread is about the internal rendering resolution of PS1 games. It has absolutely nothing to do with the video cable plugged into the system.

And they never removed RGB. Even the PSOne redesign supports RGB out, which I take advantage of these days with HD Retrovision's adapter for their Sega Genesis component cables (Which have a chip embedded in the cable that transcodes the RGB signal that our North American CRT's don't understand to standard YPbPr component video, which many late model NTSC CRT's can display).

Last I saw on the HD Retrovision site, they had 15-20 revisions of the original Playstation listed as verified as working with their adapter and had yet to find one that didn't.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Well I know the game has to support it to get higher res video (like the handful of he games on Xbox or ps2 that supported 720 or even 1080)

I was just meaning, rgb on the oldest ps consoles was it's own rca style port, and I've no idea when it was removed, but it was gone by the time I got mine.

Time crisis (?) Was an early game I picked up, cause I loved lightgun games, but to play it, I actually had to rent a console, as mine wasn't compatible, because for some oddball reason, the gun plugs into those rca ports.

It's ok though, I never got to properly use rgb anyways, as no reasonably priced available tv's of the day had them. Back in 07 I got my last crt (hd) and it was the only tv outside of early lcd sets to have that port. Man games looked awesome on that, to bad everything tried to force widescreen at that point, so despite being hd, you lost resolution as everything got letterboxed. Never tried psx o it though, now I don't have the tv, and modern stuff doesn't even have typical basic ports anymore.

That tv worked fine, just no reason to keep it while I was moving around, and lugging that 200lb bastid around was to much.

Interestingly, there were adapters sold for Time Crisis to solve that.

It sounds like you're still thinking as if it's optional or dependent on a person's setup. A Playstation game that utilizes a higher than typical resolution such as the 640x480i intro on Ace Combat 3 will always run at that resolution no matter what (Which is full 480i which is as high as the PS1 can go, rather than the far more common 240p).

And it actually only was the dedicated composite video ports that were removed (Japan's initial version also had a dedicated S-Video port that didn't stick around). RGB video was always through the AV multiout port that was present on every PS1, PS2, and PS3 system ever sold. I'm not entirely sure why Sony ever had independent composite video ports, but the obvious savings when the same signals can be tapped into via the multi-out port soon killed it off.

Unless you were in Europe, you were probably enjoying component video on your CRT. RGB capabilities never happened with domestic CRT consumer televisions in North America. Component was a similar high quality method of delivering analog video and while perhaps confusing to newcomers since it features red/green/blue video cables (Thus, one would think it's that "Red Green Blue thing they hear about on forums), it isn't the same thing as RGB video.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of games that use 640×480 for static menus or title screens (examples: Silent Hill and Chrono Cross), but nearly every PSX game runs in "low resolution" (256×240 or 320×240).

The exceptions that I know of are:

• 640×480: Ehrgheiz
  • 640×480 (scaled): Tobal 1/2 (from 512×512), Tekken 3 (from 384×480)
  • 512×240: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Crash Bandicoot 1/2/3, Quake II

I, too, thought that Wipeout 3 plays in 640×480 but I confirmed just now on actual hardware that it runs in some flavor of 240p, possibly 512×240 but with support for anamorphic (squeezed) widescreen.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

Oh I thought they meant actual hd, only the rgb port can output higher than 240 (some sort of technical (and later, legal) limitation) but people often see the 480 and forget the "i" bit. That's interpolation, and is literally outputting half of that resolution, whether the image is true 480, or artificial, it's being output at 240.

43 minutes ago, Video said:

Oh I thought they meant actual hd, only the rgb port can output higher than 240 (some sort of technical (and later, legal) limitation) but people often see the 480 and forget the "i" bit. That's interpolation, and is literally outputting half of that resolution, whether the image is true 480, or artificial, it's being output at 240.

Holy crap this is wrong on so many levels. Please. Just stop. 

• Like 2

What's wrong with it? Don't believe me, look up 480i yourself, once you find it means interpolation, look that up, and once you figure out it's only outputting half the image per refresh, go ahead an come back and explain HOW I'm wrong.

Jesus, 2020 and people still don't understand this, there's a reason even the media companies themselves finally let go of interpolation, even lower end average Joe's were figuring it out, and those who couldn't, well, there's google.

It actually means interlaced, not interpolation.

And 240p isn't the same thing as 480i, hence the existence of this thread that attempts to identify PS1 games that more fully utilized the maximum resolution capabilities of 480i CRT NTSC televisions. It's why scan lines for instance are a thing with 240p videogame resolutions on a SD CRT, where as you wouldn't see them in 480i PS2 games. 

The original Playstation doesn't have a dedicated RGB port. It has a multi-out video port as pictured below, which includes lines for composite, S-Video, and RGB. This port was present throughout the PS1-PS3 era (And was upgraded to also be able to deliver component video with the PS2 and PS3). Original Playstation games don't care in the slightest what sort of connection you're using with this port to deliver video to your television set.

download.jpg.c6d6e992993fc60e71de70bfa0e553aa.jpg

The only advantages of higher quality video connections on the PS1 are things like reduced color bleeding, reduced moire patterns, etc. Basically a cleaner and nicer picture when you provide more bandwidth to your PS1 to send the video signal to your television with. There are no potential resolution advantages to utilizing higher quality video connections on the PS1, unlike with the later PS2 and PS3.

Lastly, I don't know what legal limitations you're talking about with Europe's RGB video standard, which I believe always topped out at 480i (I assume SCART cables simply lack the bandwidth to handle 480p and higher, but I'm no expert and could be mistaken). I think you're confusing anti-consumer regulations that the DVD Forum and the Blu-Ray Disc Association implemented with component video ports on DVD and Blu-Ray players here in North America.

For instance of one of the restrictions, the DVD Forum prohibited DVD players from upscaling when connected to a television via component video (Despite analog component video having adequate bandwidth for even 1080p), mandating that VGA or HDMI be utilized instead due to more capable copy protection. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1