IGNORED

Grey Jag Controller w/ Blue Buttons

Sauron

Just wanted to clear something up for you guys so that I don't see any more of these showing up on eBay as "rare" with starting prices at $100. The grey "Jaguar Controller" is actually not a Jaguar controller at all, but was made for the STE/Falcon computers. The Jaguar just happened to use the same "analog" controller port as what came on the STE and up computers. These controllers were released well before the Jag ever hit the scene. The reason why developers received them is because Atari simply had not made the black controllers yet back when they were seeding the early development systems.

Admittedly, it can be difficult to find them here in the US, but I had no trouble at all ordering several from 16/32 Systems. I received the controllers from the UK faster than I've received anything from domestic Atari resellers. I know of at least two European online retailers who still have them in stock, and you can fetch a pair for far less than $100, including overseas shipping. :) Anyways, just wanted to clear things up here.

There was a short-lived gaming mag back in the mid 1990's called Ultimate Gamer (a spin off of VG&CE that was targeted at the 20 something male demographic) that did a feature article on Atari.

Anyway, They erroneously reported that they saw some Jag developer using the gray/blue controller that you speak of, but they added something to the effect of it being a test model that Atari utilized during the development of the Jag before the final black/red color scheme was chosen.

I too believed what Ultimate Gamer reported up until several years ago when I saw some of these pads on sale at eBay (new in box) that specifically stated Falcon compatibility right on the box. So much for the test model theory.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Admittedly' date=' it can be difficult to find them here in the US, but I had no trouble at all ordering several from 16/32 Systems. I received the controllers from the UK faster than I've received anything from domestic Atari resellers. I know of at least two European online retailers who still have them in stock, and you can fetch a pair for far less than $100, including overseas shipping. :) [/quote']

I'm looking for another blue/grey controller, my original "developer" one

(it came with an Alpine) has seen a lot of action, and it's not going to last for ever. I'd really like to pick up another one, I'm in Europe of course, but I'm willing to buy from the USA. If anybody can help, please PM me.

Thanks,

JustClaws.

• 3 years later...
I am selling these new in the box for 29.90 Euro: http://www.videogamer.org

I just got one for a little more than that but noticed the color is not entirely gray, but a bluish/gray color! Is that normal or did I get the metrosexual version? LOL

Was there another real gray type for the STE/Falcon?

greypad.jpg

Edited by tjlazer

I just got one for a little more than that but noticed the color is not entirely gray, but a bluish/gray color! Is that normal or did I get the metrosexual version? LOL

That´s the one. It was made for Falcon.

Just wanted to clear something up for you guys so that I don't see any more of these showing up on eBay as "rare" with starting prices at $100. The grey "Jaguar Controller" is actually not a Jaguar controller at all, but was made for the STE/Falcon computers. The Jaguar just happened to use the same "analog" controller port as what came on the STE and up computers. These controllers were released well before the Jag ever hit the scene. The reason why developers received them is because Atari simply had not made the black controllers yet back when they were seeding the early development systems.

Admittedly, it can be difficult to find them here in the US, but I had no trouble at all ordering several from 16/32 Systems. I received the controllers from the UK faster than I've received anything from domestic Atari resellers. I know of at least two European online retailers who still have them in stock, and you can fetch a pair for far less than $100, including overseas shipping. :) Anyways, just wanted to clear things up here.

Can you provide links to the retailers or identify them? How much did the controllers cost?

... it amazes me how simply changing the color of something sparks so much interest...

Hi,

No, that's how they all are.

They seem to have got rare over the last few years, I used one for game development.

I personally find the different D-pad both worse, and better than the original pad though.

The Pro Controller is best, but sufficiently different to make gameplay feel different...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 2 years later...

Hallo Wolf(video*game*source), I just bought the two grey/blue button controllers you had on eBay,

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3503459161131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=350345916113&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

...and I see the price has went up 10.05 Euros since 2004 to 39.95 Euros apiece + shipping today. So for for me buying two of these controllers it was 79.90 Euros + 14.05 Euros Shipping = 93.95 Euros and that equals -$118.27 USD. A fair penny, yes, considering I could have gotten 2 new boxed Jaguar Pro-controllers from Moeroshop in France but I have always wanted to try these Falcon/STE controllers out for playability on the Jaguar. I hear the cord is short and the D-pad is different, some say better in some ways, some say worse than the regular JagPads or just "different" or "off" in some way.

Well I will find out soon, also it's good to see you still have them listed on your site:

http://www.videogamer.org/show2.php?jaguar+Atari_Jaguar_Pricelist+on+ch

(click Atari Jaguar Power Pad)