IGNORED

Star Fire Elite Squadron!

Albert

Finally!!!!!  

I never thought I would crack that 3500 mark! I think I have the new record for lowest qualifying score!  

Whew!

Nice job! It is pretty difficult to score 3500 in this game. I keep looking for sneaky ways to boost my score on the earlier levels, but I have had no luck. I'm thinking now that as soon as you hit level 9, the best strategy must be to toggle the difficulty switch. At first I didn't like that idea at all, but at this point in the game, dodging enemy fire is no longer an option - you must shoot it down instead. And the enemies are firing like crazy bastards! My lazer heats over in a matter of seconds!

Has anyone passed level 9 yet? Does the game loop back to level 1, or does the game become even more difficult?

k

I've done it a few times and as I recall, you just keep going 10 and on.  But then again, I was so overjoyed just to beat Wave 8 that I could have been hallucinating. :)

Yep. I'v been to level 10.

My score was 3937 when I finally died (My 3rd try for the score).

I just hope the cart is a little more dificult when I get it :P

I finally did it! I found the best strategy was short sessions every day, no more than one hour long. I tend to improve a lot more over the 24 hours between sessions than I do if I play for several hours straight.

Another strategy is to go for as many diamonds and freighters as possible on the lower levels. It seems that if you wait for a while, then less will show up. So shooting them quickly yields more scoring oppurtunities.

post-4723-1076481916_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally did it!

The "Peoples of the Earth Forces" can rest a little easier tonight. 8)

It felt Gsticking it to that insidious EXIDY Coalition!

StarFireHighScore_AtariK2.jpg

Big THANKS to all who have made this contest possible!!

(Including Lori Krueger whose amazing retro work extends beyond the patch

to include the speciality Dust Cover above that was placed near the trusty

Heavy Sixer -- proving to be the difference!) :wink:

I finally did it!

The "Peoples of the Earth Forces" can rest a little easier tonight.   8)  

It felt Gsticking it to that insidious EXIDY Coalition!

Heavy Sixer -- proving to be the difference!)   :wink:

Another one down!! Congrats!

Buck

Heavy Sixer -- proving to be the difference!)

Hmmm.... I guess I didn't see that cover. That dust cover looks really nice. Lori gave me the cloth one she made just like that one. Seeing yours again... well, I am having second thoughts :)

BTW: I have not gotten the required score for StarFire yet. Dammit! I;ve come close a few times ~3200 is my hi-score. The first day I had the cart, I got up around 2700 and thought this was going to be easy and shelved the game for awhile. I guess I need to put a little more effort into it.

-Lee

Well AL... I am happy to say that I have gotten the actual cart now so I can participate in this hellacious score contest :D

Anyone know what the highest score is so far?

And who else here has fond memories of the arcade game

.. Looking forward to playing this :D

WHAT?

NE146 bought a homebrew?  No way!  gasp! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Actually I didn't.. it was my birthday this month so to give my family "ideas" for cheap gifts, I just pointed them to a few select AA carts. :D

So I got Thrust Plat., Marble Craze, and Star Fire (for sentimental reasons) in the mail one day. Worked out great! 8) Now maybe I should actually go and put my hacks onto carts since I missed out on the opportunity in the Hozer days :P

Well AL... I am happy to say that I have gotten the actual cart now so I can participate in this hellacious score contest :D

Excellent!

If you go to the Star Fire Elite Squadron page, you can click on "Score" to sort by scores. Highest score submitted thus far is Rick Carlson's with 4746.

And who else here has fond memories of the arcade game

Not me, I've never seen this in the arcades. :)

..Al

If you go to the Star Fire Elite Squadron page, you can click on "Score" to sort by scores.  Highest score submitted thus far is Rick Carlson's with 4746.  

..Al

Those are the scores that people qualified with. I am sure that some of the people who submitted already may have possibly surpassed Rick Carlson's score. It would be nice if as people scored higher and higher you could post that one shot on the Elite Squadron page.

That way you would always have the originally qualifiying score of the first 50 and the current top score to date. Make sense? Or would that be more of a Twin Galaxies thing? Just ideas...

:) Buck

Hmmm.... I guess I didn't see that cover. That dust cover looks really nice. Lori gave me the cloth one she made just like that one. Seeing yours again... well, I am having second thoughts  :)

I was torn between the cloth or the vinyl. I went with 'viny is final' for more of the retro feel (I had several vinyl covers for things growing up - i.e. Commodore 64, ColecoVision, etc.)

Buck - I like your High Score idea - I wish AtariAge would have more contests. What was fun about this one (besides the obvious nostalgia with a patch and letter) was that it wasn't about getting the highest score - only breaking a barrier that wasn't easily done in the first few gaming sessions. In other words you had to practice! :)

It would be cool if similar water marks were set with other games...