IGNORED

The Ultimate History of Video Games

bradjewell

I'm here at work (Noon till midnight) at Q95FM, and I brought this book along to read. Damn, It's good. I just was wondering if anyone else had opinions on it. I really like the stories they tell about the beginnings of the industry and Nolan. And on a related note, does anyone have a copy of the "outstanding in our field" video.

Brad

I loved that book by Steven Kent. I remember that old Next Generation magazine would sometimes have columns by Kent, these would actually be clips from this book.

I actually interviewed Steven Kent a year or two ago for gaming-age. Here's the link, you might find his interview interesting as he talks more about the book and other folks in the industry as well as about himself.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials...=kent&pagenum=1

The Ultimate History is a good book with a lot of good info in there, and certainly belongs in anyone's bookcase of course. Unfortunately though, there's also a lot of errors as well - so as with anything else read it for the enjoyment of the feeling of getting behind the scenes of the industry. Don't try and use it as a completely factual reference though. (I'm specifically focusing on the pre-NES history in the book).

I had several talks with Steve about it, and he has no way to correct a lot of it. He sold the rights to the book (this is actually the second version) and has no control over it's content now.

There are many great books to read about the video game industry. Some are newer releases like Ultimate History by Kent, Phoenix by Lenoard Herman, Supercade by Van Burnham and Arcade Fever by John Sellers. Also try to pick up the reprint of Zap! The Rise and Fall of Atari by Scott Cohen if you can - excellent read.

There are also some of the out of print books, mostly strategy guides, that I have in my collection, too many to list. Why not just take a look at the ones I have on my site, and if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them! :D

http://retrogames-r-us.tripod.com/ - choose the Classic and Current Video Game Books link.

• 8 years later...

Sorry for the reanimation of the thread, but I am curious about two things:

1) the "Outstanding in Our Field" video made by the coin-op division - was this ever preserved? released somewhere or still in someone's possession?

2) the book of game themes - did this book actually exist within Atari? has any copy ever been (re)produced?