IGNORED

What is your Favorite and Least Favorite Game

MrRetroGamer

Hmmm...

Tough call there Retro...

I would have to say that my favorite 7800 game that I have is probably Double Dragon because it took me like 3 weeks before I was able to beat it.

However, now that I have...I haven't touched it in ages. My current favorite 7800 title...is most definitly Xenophobe!!!

Least favorite...hmmm...was probably Super Skateboarin...I mean...What the hell were they thinking? Great graphics...and sound...but boardin in a factory and turning things off...Nope...that just plain sucks for a game...reminds me of Keystone Kapers...only now I actually hit the obstacles and not jump over them.

BTW..Keystone Kapers is a really cool game in my opinion...hehe..

CB_Sig.gif

[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

No doubt...Karateka.

Although my first experience was on the Apple IIe, I LOVED this game when it came out for the 7800. I remember purchasing it at Child World.

The first time I turned it on, I was in awe. The flashing "karateka", the music, the scrolling opening story, I was amazed. Never did beat it through...

-Trebor

My favorite 7800 games:

Xevious - This was the only Atari system that it actually got released for.

Tower Toppler - Great Puzzle game

Midnight Mutants - Really complex for the 7800

Meltdown - I like this lightgun game. Now if only the lightgun was actually accurate!

Food Fight - Finally, a decent home port. It's a little too easy though.

Least Favorites

Karateka - Looks good, sounds good, but WTF is up with those controls? I have a prototype of this game.

Crack'ed - Lame shooter, really should have use the lightgun and should have cleaned up the graphics a bit.

Motorpsycho - The controls really kill this game!

Ace of Aces - Way too complicated for the 7800. Needs a keyboard!

Jinks - The title screen rocks! And the voices sound like they're from Gauntlet. But the game itself is a very lame breakout clone that's frustratingly difficult and the sounds are aweful. Theres no ending either! ARRGGHH!

Other Things That Bug Me

Galaga - Looks like Galaga, sounds like Galaga, it even plays like Galaga, but once you get past the 10th board everything goes to hell. You get slow down, flicker, and poor controls. Something is wrong with this game.

Tempest

Hmmm.... my favorite games.. One of my favorite game is Mario Bros (lame, right) It was fun as hell! I would play that game for hours. Any you guys like Mario Bros?

Pole Position 2 is another favorite of mine. I played it recently and racked up major points! I did better than I did in the 80s, hehe. I wish I could of played the first Pole Position.

My least favorite is a toughy. I have no least favorite. The closest to be being my least favorite was Donkey Kong JR. I used to get so pissed off at the game!! : : I used to really get angry when I continuously died in that game. I think I remember myself throwing the actual cart across the room! I believe I'm exaggerating there .

Oh yea, I wanna add something to what Tempest was saying about Galaga: The controls are messed up in Galaga. You're absolutely right about that. I remember it did have pretty sloppy controls. I haven't played it in a long time but I'll play it in my free time or whatever.

Best 7800 Games

1. Tower Toppler

2. Midnight Mutants

3. Basket Brawl

4. Commando

5. Alien Brigade

Worst 7800 Games

1. (the worst) Jinks

2. Title Match Pro Wrestling

3. Realsports Baseball

4. Impossible Mission (C'mon, test your games before you embarrass yourself)

5. Mat Mania Challenge (however better than WCW Nitro)

visit:

www.bigfishusa.com

Soon to be home to Cousin Vinnie's Atari 7800 Panaramic Foo-Foo

(Current home of White Man's Funk/ Black Man's Metal band Big Fish, Cousin Vinnie's Rock-N-Roll Boo-Ya! Radio, Flaming Pig Wrsetling, and Cousin Vinnie's King's X Universe of Love)

• 1 month later...

I am late to this string but here goes....

Best 7800 game-

multiplayer- Water Ski : this game is so cool in that it will allow two players to control just as it would be in real life, one drives the boat the other skis- thats fabulous.

single player- xevious : this game is fun and looks very close to the real arcade version.

runner up is commando.

Worst 7800 game-

Karateka : I played this game on the old Apple IIe as well and liked it a lot. but the 7800 port is way off. first the delay in controlling makes it virtually impossible to get past the first bird attack.

runner up is pole position. again cotrol issues make it difficult to enjoy.

Kevin

I think all of the original slew...

Xevious, Robotron, Dig-Dug, Galaga, Food Fight, Asteroids and Centipede were excellent. I would have to give the nod to Xevious. I actually prefer it ot the emulated versions I've played.

As far as worst.. Scrapyard Dog is pretty poor...

Everyone is missing the obvious. Larry Bird/Dr. J One-on-One basketball is the one of the best games ever done. For any system.

Even though it plays a little slow, the sheer satisfaction of doing a creative dunk is beyond words. Good animation, espcially for the time. Especially when it's IN YOUR FACE after your opponent has done his best to play defense. I mean, dribble...spin...reverse...dribble...spin...step...fake, OVER YOU FOR TWO. The rim's still shaking. The cool exploding glass after a thunderous dunk and the angry janitor sweeping it all up still cracks me up. Then, a replay just rubs it in a little further.

The two worst games are the Super Huey simulator game and Ace of Aces. Way too complicated. Nice graphics, but as many times as I've read the instructions, I never can tell what I'm supposed to be doing.

Karateka is sorta in the middle--horrible control makes it virtually unplayable. The graphics are nice, but who can play it? For me, I get in one decent kick or punch if I'm lucky then game over.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive only just started digging my Atari 7800 stuff out from the loft so I havent really played it since about 1992, but my favourite then was 2 player Hat Trick, Alien Brigade, and Xevious, I didnt like Donkey Kong a great deal. Im still finding stuff up there so who knows what games I will find next.

my favorite games, in order are:

1)Commando

2)Ikari Warriors

3)Tower Toppler

4)Ballblazer

5)Xenophobe

My least favorite are:

1)Titlematch Westling

2)Karateka(I loved this game on the 8-bit, but they "frelled" the controls on the 7800 version. I can never hit that *amn bird!!!)

3)Mario Bros. (just too old, by the time the 7800 came out, this was one game that had been done too much already;2600, 8-bit, 5200, not to mention every other system on the planet)

4) DonkeyKong (same as above)

5) DonkeyKong jr. (I want new games already!!! my GOD! I've played these for years on all the older systems!)

There were a few of those overly complicated games for the 7800. Problem was they just ported alot of games straight from the computer and they didn't work with a two button controller. Games like Ace of Aces, F-14 Tomcat, and F-18 Hornet were just too complicated. Maybe if the 7800 keyboard had been released they might have worked better.

Tempest

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...