IGNORED

Self-centering 5200 stick??

landsmarra

Hey guys,

I was just using this stick I got from Dan Kramer a few weeks ago (along with the 5100 proto) and was wondering why Super PacMan was so easy to play...the stick was self-centering!!

So I opened it up and noticed the pots definitely looked different from any I had seen before. See the little brass arms and the springs?

What do you guys think? I didn't think Atari ever released a self-centering stick for the 5200.

Steve

post-2427-1071292635_thumb.jpg

Guys,

This is definitely not a homebrew...the one pot I could remove has an Atari part number on it that I have referenced in my humungo parts listing (also thanks to Dan Kramer). The other pot seems to have been glued in place.

I'll try to get a better pic...I hate taking off those S/P/R bezels though.

One more note: the keypad doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Steve

Guys,

This is definitely not a homebrew...the one pot I could remove has an Atari part number on it that I have referenced in my humungo parts listing (also thanks to Dan Kramer).  The other pot seems to have been glued in place.

I'll try to get a better pic...I hate taking off those S/P/R bezels though.

One more note:  the keypad doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Steve

That is most certainly legit.... I have a few of those funky spring loaded pots that came out of Atari, I also have some very early docs that refer to that design, its a Type 1 Self Centering Joystick, it was an earlier and more complex (and most likely expensive) self-centering system. I joystick I currently have that is fully assembled and working is a Type 2 Self Centering out of Atari.

Nice find Steve, I betcha Dan didn't realize what he just gave away... shhhhhhh... ;-)

Curt

• 3 weeks later...
Ah the Holy Grail of 5200 joysticks!  I'd love to see a 5200 joystick mod that adds self-centering to the stock joystick.  I worked on one myself, but never came up with a viable mod.  Maybe some reverse engineering of these Atari produced self-centering joysticks is in order.

Agreed

As far as I can tell from searching the Patent database, that version of the self centering stick was never patented, so very little info probably exists on it. Patent 4469330 is for the 5200 stick we all know and love, and is pretty detailed. If you have not looked at the US Patent database, you owe it to yourself to poke around.

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

You need a special browser plug-in to see the TIFF images, but it's a free small download and WELL worth the trouble!

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/help/images.htm

I've found TONS of cool video game related patents there, makes for some AWESOME reading!

you can buy spring loaded POTs and set them up to center. it would give much the same effect as that.

I have been trying to find these for over a year. All of the ones I've found have been too large , wrong resistance(I'm no electronics wizard, I'm sure somebody here could fix that) or just way too expensive to be practical.