IGNORED

Working VR headset on Ebay

Anthonyjherrera

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

$1500 is not a bad price for this cool working prototype. We probably won't see another one for some time.

When was the last time one of these appeared on eBay? This wasn't the first one, was it? I wouldn't expect to see another one of these for a long time, if ever. Well, okay, "never" is a long time, but I won't be holding my breath. Does anyone know how many of these working prototypes are out there? I'm guessing less than five.

I bet John Hardie knows, as he's the one who won this auction.

..Al

This was supposed to be the fifth one to appear on ebay(?). This is according to someone over at JI2. Apparently someone has two of these in their collection. Talk about lucky! Well it may have cost $1500 but he gets postage for free!!! If you look they left their bid pretty late too, only 5 secs left!

Missile Command 3D was developed specifically for the VR Headset. Even the back of the box shows that it was developed in part by Virtuality. Unfortunately, the headset was never officially released and from what I understand, the VR mode is still in MC3D, but you have to play it strictly with the joypad. From what the ebay ad says, MC3D will indeed work with the prototype unit, but as to how well, that's anyone's guess.

• 2 weeks later...

There were 2 working VR headsets made and 2 empty plastic shells. One headset (the blue one) is owned by Clint Thompson, and has higher resolution and slight bugfixes compared to the other (red) one (that was in the auction).

MC3D apparently (from conversations I've had with the owners) fully supports a VR headset (not the same as the VR mode) in which the direction you point the headset in determines the direction the game "looks" in, and the display is streamed to the video display in the helmet. Firing and so on is via a standard joypad, the VR system plugs into the DSP and video ports and occupies the second controller port too.

Cool, indeed. Although I can think of more useful collector's items to have...(I'm thinking Alpine).

Stone

I got to try out that headset at Jagfest 2K1, along with the other. It definately works, and it works _well_. If Atari had released it like planned, it would've been one of the most incredible home-entertainment systems ever...

The way the headset works for MC3D is whereever you 'look' is where your view changes to in the game. Look down, and you'll see your city below you. Look up, and you'll see the missiles begin to fall on the city and on you.

While the headset tracking was pretty shaky (apparently self-correcting software was eliminated from the build I played), the effect was incredible. It was the best looking virtual game that I have ever played. And to be completely honest with you, $1500 or whatever it ended as wasn't that bad of a deal considering how much your amusement-park-style VR systems sell for.