IGNORED

Will SIO2PC work with the parallel port?

doncleth

Thanks Bry.

I've emailed Steve and here's his reply:

"APE will not work with the parrallel port. APE requires a real UART based serial port to operate.

A USB based RS232 port will not work. Unfortunatly SIO2PC style software requires realtime response from the hardware which USB does not provide.

A PCMCIA or CF based serial card may work for you."

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thomas Grasel of Regionalgruppe ABBUC ( http://www.abbuc-raf.de/restarte.htm ) has successfully tested SIO2PC on an USB 1.1 Port with this setup:

Tested on a P2-266MHz, USB1.1 Port, SIO2PC Cable and

ATARI-Filemanagement ( http://www.hcrburk.de/hpatari.html ) with Win98, and an USB2Seriell Converter with Profilic 2303 Chip.

I have tested the same cable under Linux (2.6.10). There is a driver for the USB Converter, but the AtariSio kernel driver only supports real UART ttys.

Carsten

don, what brand/type cable did you use ???

Hi jetset,

It's a generic USB to serial cable I found in one of those computer flea markets. Got it for AUD25 I think?

Some info on my setup. I used it on my Acer Travelmate 240 laptop, Celeron 1.6Ghz, WinXP Home with USB2.0 (although I think the USB-to-serial cable was only 1.1). APE was running on a Command window. The only thing I had to setup in APE was to specify the address of the serial port (created from the USB-to-serial cable). Then plugged it in into my 130XE.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,

Don

This is pretty highly chipset specific, then, I used a Belkin USB-serial adapter and it basically froze my system up as soon as I turned on the Atari -- my system would only unfreeze when the Atari power-cycled! I.e., turn it on -- get 2 seconds on the PC, then freeze. Turn Atari off-- 2 seconds usable, freeze.

It was really weird.

APE was running on a Command window. The only thing I had to setup in APE was to specify the address of the serial port (created from the USB-to-serial cable).

This is the key (APE for DOS). You won't be able to use this trick with the Windows version.

What's happening is that the driver for the USB adapter is creating a virtual serial port. APE "thinks" he is talking to the hardware, but instead the driver redirects the input/output to the USB.

The whole virtualization process is usually slow. Interesting it still works. Did you try using Warp speed? Any other USB devices on the USB bus were active?