IGNORED

Phase Zero ?

someguy

Yes, the rom was released, it's another "unfinished" game like SpaceWar 2000, but is even BETTER!!! It does however require an Alpine development board or a flashrom cartridge or a real homebrew cart(like spacewar 2k) in order to run, because it's too much memory to be loaded into the Jaguar's ram through J.U.G.S or the upcoming Protector:SE with the BJL/Jagfree cd mods. I had it on my flashrom until my flashrom died. It has 9 levels total, but only the first 5 can be played without putting in a code to get to the later levels (it crashes at the end of level 5). It REALLY rocks though!!! GOOD, GOOD, stuff. I need another Flashrom!!!!

I forget where I downloaded the rom, so I suggest you visit JI2 and ask there, one of the actual programmers the wrote it (the guy who released the rom image) hangs out there occasionally. Mark Satori? It's on his web site...but they'll know there...

quote:

Originally posted by Stone:

Gunstar: if you ever want to get rid of that FlashROM let me know...I like tinkering with dead stuff and who knows? It might even be curable!

Anyway, mail me if you feel the need to dispose of it

Stone

As far as I can tell, it's just a couple of traces on the actual board that are burned out in spots, I attempted to bypass the burned traces with some wiring a while back without any good results. But, I just recently start back to school, going for an associate degree in electronics at a local tech school and I actually mentioned the problem to one of my prof's just today, and he said to bring it in and we'd look it over, as they have all the equipment for repairing surface-mount pcb's. So, I'm going to see if I can repair it with his help. The only thing that I'm worried about is that my initial attempt was actually successful, but it didn't work because the BIOS chip might have gotten erased, in which case I'd have to get a hold of the BIOS and either load it back onto the chip (if possible), or find a new BIOS chip for it...I'll keep you updated though...

Also, I was wondering if we could work out a deal for you to make me one of those carts with PhaseZero(in case I can't get the Flashrom working)? If so, and I can't get the FR working, maybe I could send it to you anyway to use as a blueprint for building a new one?

I've designed a cart PCB that can use EPROMs to work just like a FlashROM cart (except you have to burn each chip separately...no big deal).

Or you could just buy one of the ones they have at B&C.

Either way, d/l the ROM of Phaze Zero (look up Mark "Stingray" Santora), use the Atari ROMSPLIT program on it (http://www.atari-jaguar64.de to get that) and then burn the 4 resulting images onto 4 EPROMs. Then stick them in your cart and you can play it!

I'm personally curious as to how they got dumped...I think it's a shame/waste to have so many FlashROM carts tied up with just keeping a prototype on them; if you could dump them all there'd be more available for people who wanted one

Still...

Gunstar: if you ever want to get rid of that FlashROM let me know...I like tinkering with dead stuff and who knows? It might even be curable!

Anyway, mail me if you feel the need to dispose of it

Stone

Unfortunately I don't have the EPROM burner nor the skills to make said homebrew.

I honestly don't know how the copyright side would work - but I was under the impression that at least Phase Zero's ROM had been publicly released.

Even if it isn't completed, as long as there's some gameplay I'd like to check it out. I bought a copy of the incomplete Space War 2000 ROMs, and think that cart is well worth $60 - lock-ups and all.

If I can get 10-15 people wanting to buy a Phase Zero cart then I can probably make them economically. The more that want one the cheaper they get

I'm not sure about exact prices, but EPROMs would probably come to $7.50 each max (4 needed) and PCBs start stupidly expensive and come down to reasonable levels for increased interest. I'd also have to subsidise an EPROM burner off them, I know I can get one for $65, so add a little bit extra to it...probably come out at slightly under the Songbird releases (depending all the time on how many want one and how much they are willing to pay).

Anyone know if an EEPROM chip is required for PZ? If it is I'll have to redesign the PCB to accomodate it

Gunstar: The BIOS chip should be read-only (I think it's a GAL chip) unless you blew it up. It shouldn't be possible to erase it...only destroy it I wouldn't be able to read it even if I did have it, so making a copy is probably out of the question. I was just angling for a cheap fixable flash cart

Still, if people want a PZ cart then mail me to register interest. If I get enough I'll look at batch manufacture for you all.

Hope that'll keep you happy for a bit

Stone

That review has some good screen shots, but I have to TOTALLY and COMPLETELY DISAGREE with anything else this reviewer has to say about the game EXCEPT that it is incomplete. I think it's an AWSOME game, even in it's current unfinished form, and I think it would have been a FANTASTIC ASSET to the Jaguar's library. It is FAST, FUN, and VERY SPOT-ON in the controls. The reviewer said that the landscapes are dull with "bumps" for hills...he must have only played the one level that he has pictures of, where this is true(it's supposed to be a swampy-mississippi type leves so of course ther aren't a lot of hills or mountains), but other levels have absolutely exquisite lanscapes with big hills and mountains and hidden valleys and streams and lakes and the water movement is a sight to behold! I Think the graphics and special effects and even the 3d sprites are fantastic looking and animate very nicely! This One would definately be worth the trouble to get on a homebrew cart or for Carl to get the license to and actually finish it. One more thing should be noted that I figured out about the game; the mission screens and the actual levels you play DO NOT match up. Each one HAS a match, but they are in the wrong order...it's fun just to roam around and explore the levels with those VERY COOL voxel landscapes-eat your heart out polygon-scapes; who needs texture mapping and bump mapping when VOXELS can actually produce REAL TEXTURES!!! Voxel=Volume pixel (3d pixels) another game(s) that used this was DELTA FORCE on the PC. COOL, COOL, stuff...

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Yea, PZ is simply a great game!

Had it been finished, networked support, and released, it would be up there in the Jaguar Library!!! Add some kickamus-assumus music to it and bam! You have a winner, I'm sold! =)

I was the one who found the code on the level select =) I'll eventually have to get the phase zero page I reviewed and added the code back up on my site... have had very little time due to converting it over to atari.org (which is great for the space for videos I need) but very sad to the fact that atari.org has been down WAY too much as of late

Oh well... eveyrone should be able to see my Phase Zero/Black Ice White Noise Reviews sometime soon when Atari.org decides to kill (back up) !!

Clint

quote:

Originally posted by Clint Thompson:

I was the one who found the code on the level select =) I'll eventually have to get the phase zero page I reviewed and added the code back up on my site...

Clint

I've been dying to try out those codes and see the levels beyond 5, but haven't been able to play it since I killed my Flashrom (which, hopefully, will be repaired soon with the help of my Prof. and his surfacemount equip. at school!)