IGNORED

Wanted: List of Jaguar Prototypes

Albert

While working on the Jaguar Rarity List, I realized that we never put in any Jaguar prototypes, of which quite a few exist. What I'd like to do is put together a list of games that were never released, but have been publically demonstrated or are known to exist in some fashion. I'd also like to get screenshots of these games, but please don't send me screenshots unless you have permission to reproduce them. You can always send me a link to a site with screenshots and I'd be glad to contact the site myself to seek permission to use them.

I know a good number of Jaguar prototypes have surfaced, so it's time to get them added to the Jaguar Rarity List here on AtariAge while I'm busy making other changes (such as updating the rarity values to reflect not how easy it is to purchase the games new, but the general abundance of various titles relative to others).

I'd also like to put together a list of games that were announced in some fashion, were never commercially released, and for which no evidence has been found that they even exist. These can be games listed in catalogs, magazines, press releases, press kits, advertisements, etc. While these games won't be listed in the main listing of games, they will be listed separately.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

..Al

I think everyone is a bit upset about this auction because the seller seems to be deliberately misleading in his description.

He's clearly hoping some unsuspecting fool will stumble onto the auction, not knowing about B&C replicating this cart for only $60, and bid the reserve price.

Personally I don't really care whether I buy a cart that is a replication or not - as long as the seller is "up front" with me and tells me that's exactly what it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Songbird:

This applies both to the Lynx and Jaguar flavors of this thread, but by prototypes do you only mean games that have been found on actual cartridges/CDs, games that exist in any form (binary, cartridge, CD), or games that were in development but no one has found the actual game yet?

I'd actually like to maintain two separate lists. One list is of prototypes and another of vaporware. I'm defining prototypes as games that were never commercially released but have been discovered in some form (binary, cartridge, CD). Games that have not yet been discovered are going to go onto the Vaporware list, and not be included in the main game listing. There are probably quite a few of these titles, as it's pretty easy to come up with a name for a game and plaster it all over the place, with nothing to show.

..Al

Prototypes...such a big list...

Ones I know to exist:

Caves of Fear JagCD (got a copy)

Varuna's Forces MPEG JagCD (got one)

BHH CD

BHH cart

IS2 CD (proto...think it's on Justclaws' site?)

TRF CD (want one)

VVCS cart

Phase Zero

Ones that may exist

Creature Shock CD (well, maybe)

Soul Star CD (please! please!)

Tiny Toons

Highlander 2 CD

Highlander 3 CD

Highlander 4 CD (ok...after 2 it's more and more dubious)

And then all the other stuff like the eprom carts, stereo adaptor, grey/blue controllers, alpines, flashcarts, Stubulated jags, test carts, Cross Products devkit, VR helmets, modems etc etc.

Wish I had just one of most of these

Still, that's a pretty comprehensive list...any others anyone can add?

Stone

Albert,

I'm curious as to what type of prototypes you are talking about. Do you want prototypes of games that were never released, or do you want prototypes of games that were released also?

If you're looking for anything, then know that there is a prototype copy of Alien Vs. Predator out there... As well as possibly some others...

quote:

Originally posted by GOAT Dan:

Beyond what was already mentioned, there is a known prototype of Total Carnage. Mortal Kombat 3 was shown at an E3 or CES (forget what) in a playable form, but I don't think a physical prototype has appeared since then.

I remember reading a review of Total Carnage somewhere, I'll have to look for it (I saw it recently, should have bookmarked the page!) Supposedly one of the best ports of Total Carnage yet. That's one I'd love to get my hands on! Interesting about Mortal Kombat 3. Do any pictures or video exist of this anywhere?

..Al

What is this about a (TRF) Thea Realm Fighters CD? As far as I know, it only exists on an Alpine Board and Flash Cart.

quote:

Originally posted by Stone:

Prototypes...such a big list...

Ones I know to exist:

Caves of Fear JagCD (got a copy)

Varuna's Forces MPEG JagCD (got one)

BHH CD

BHH cart

IS2 CD (proto...think it's on Justclaws' site?)

TRF CD (want one)

VVCS cart

Phase Zero

Ones that may exist

Creature Shock CD (well, maybe)

Soul Star CD (please! please!)

Tiny Toons

Highlander 2 CD

Highlander 3 CD

Highlander 4 CD (ok...after 2 it's more and more dubious)

And then all the other stuff like the eprom carts, stereo adaptor, grey/blue controllers, alpines, flashcarts, Stubulated jags, test carts, Cross Products devkit, VR helmets, modems etc etc.

Wish I had just one of most of these

Still, that's a pretty comprehensive list...any others anyone can add?

Stone

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Ugh! The keypad was used for firing? Granted you would have semi-360 degree firing, but you'd be forced to hold the controller in such an awkward way! Talk about painful!

I could see it being difficult to use with the keypad "as is," BUT, it would be pretty easy as far as sliding your fingers over the buttons with a smooth overlay installed.

The Realm Fighters opening sequence has some sort of Japanese lettering in a circle. Sound Effects are noted as a metal wall joins with the circle, from the sides of the screen. The circle flips to reveal the letters "TRF" and then, the metal wall leaves by the top and bottonm of the screen.

A new screen with a "HIGH VOLTAGE SOFTWARE" logo is then revealed. By pressing the d-pad to the side, a user is given the choices of TOK, SPARQ, ROYAL MARSHALL, and PRInCE PAK. By pressing the d-pad up and down, you can select from 7 different arenas. The game has limited sound effects with no music. It still has some glitches and can sometimes even freeze-up, as it was still in development stages. There are hints at some potential in some of the simple power-up combinations and VERY nice background graphics and scrolling effects. Unfortunately, this 4MB game has no Artificial Intelligence, so the game can only be played with two-players.

Source Code has been indicated as obtainable for a future release, but is not permitted to be used in it's current form. Only the work High Voltage Software owns rights to may be eventually used in a released title. (The ROYAL MARSHALL may be used, but not the live actor's images. Some of the actors are from Mortal Kombat and own rights to their images.) Since source code had been promised over a year ago, and has still not been obtained, it is unlikely to have any kind of public release. High Voltage Software has threatened legal action, should the game be PLAYED at trade show events.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Ugh! The keypad was used for firing? Granted you would have semi-360 degree firing, but you'd be forced to hold the controller in such an awkward way! Talk about painful!

Yeah, it does sound like it'd be pretty awkward to use, but maybe not that bad. I don't have a Jaguar controller in front of me (Damn! I knew I should have brought one to work today!), so I can't say for sure. I guess it depends how big your hands are.

..Al

Total carnage: how about making one of those phone-joysticks that were released for mobile users to play Snake? You could stick it over the keypad and use a joystick to control gun direction...

OK, I just think up the ideas, it's your job to make them work - get to it dammit!

Stone

[edit: Just saw Jason's post...I thought TRF *was* on CD, someone offered me a copy a while back, and I thought it was being played on JagFree at JF2k1, I could be wrong though. Carl?]

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Stone ]