IGNORED

BattleSphere

Walter_J-64

I'd suggest that you venture out to one of the JagFest events that are currently being held each year. There, you should have an opportunity to play someone's Battle Sphere game, if you haven't played the thing yet. Before you buy one at current prices, find out how valuable it really is to you. The current auctions start at $85, before shipping, and before bidding even begins! That's a shame. Currently, you are able to find ANY other Atari Jaguar game for less than Battle Sphere. In some cases, that includes prototypes. You could play those at a JagFest as well.

Now that I feel like I'm promoting JagFest events, have you seen the BattleSphere game network? How about ten of 'em networking? Dang, now I want to find those pictures...

lol

I was looking for e-mail about BattleSphere, and Come here and see replies to me post of BattleSphere! $405.oo is way out of my price! I love to go to a JagFest I just cant! Greg @ TAT I got your back no one well get your BattleSphere cart!

Al I think any one that have got BattleSphere off of ebay paid too much!

However freaky I ever become about retro-gaming, $405? Seriously, CAN a game be that good? OK, I admit that when I and two of my mates went to England we spent all of our time browsing through London's gaming-joints (apart from attending the one and only "the art of Starwars" -exhibition). You really ought to look at CEX's retro section, it's a killer. When I was there they had an original, UNOPENED, boxed ALTAIR. A bit costy but really quite nice.

If You're looking for a good game (one that doesn't cost a minor fortune), try Flashback (haven't tried it for the Jag but the Genesis version rocks), one of the best games created so far. Perhaps not the perfect substitute for Battlesphere genre-wise but still, if You're just after a good gaming-experience, this game ought to do the trick.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Pocket Universe ]

Flashback is lovely on the Jag. Got it a coupla days back (thx to JI2 Monkey) - it's a direct port of the Genesis / MD version, with a few slight differences: the title screen features a rotating 3D model of the main guy (forgot his name, still so did he so I'm in good company...lol) and the gfx are all a little spruced up; higher res, and better quality (he's wearing a red T under that jacket now!). It's brilliant if you liked the Genesis one, I can't remember how to do all the puzzles though so it's a little frustrating...for example in the first real puzzle (when you reach the screen with a guard and two of the little drones, and a door) what the hall are you supposed to do? I'm hoping I don't have to trek back to where the holocube was and drop the rock over there...dammit that's harsh!

Still, a love/hate game; you'll probably hate the bits later on with the disintegrators, but then I played it on KGEN and you can save anytime

My £0.02.

Stone

I am crazy for spending 405.00 on Battlesphere, but lucky me its also came with JUGS, which didnt work with my old computer, nor with my friends computer, but wishful thinking it will work on my new one, anywho, at that time BS's were going for anywhere between $300-400$. I needed it and now my Jag collection is complete with my recent purchase of Aircars =) which was quite xpensive as well. But i now have all the games and fun forever

I recommend Zero5 or Skyhammer to hold you over till you can afford one for a cheap price, IF, (and thats a big if) Scatologic would like to release them for affordable prices and not "silent acutions"

Anywho Good luck in your search for BS, its worth the have

I recommend Zero5 or Skyhammer

Skyhammer, yes; Zero5, bleh.

Skyhammer is a great game, but I was really, really disappointed with Zero5 when I received it after reading so many positive reviews. Ugh.

The bambam shooting part is decent (though offers nothing you can't do in Missile Command 3D), and the "3D Galaxians" is tolerable once you get used to the yucky control scheme - but what's up with the 'trench' mission. How the heck are you supposed to complete this mission without crashing into the walls every couple of seconds?

Yuk. I only paid $50 for Zero6 and I don't think it's worth even that much.

Zero 5 is one of about 10 released Jaguar games that I don't own. I saw Zero 5 at a NAVA meeting a few months ago and I thought it looked very good. I didn't get the opportunity to play it myself, but I watched Mike Etler (of Video Game Connections) play. He seemed to really enjoy it when he was playing it, and was talking up how he thought it was much better than BattleSphere.

I do have BattleSphere myself, and I happen to think the game is quite excellent.

JagHammer "I recommend Zero5 or Skyhammer" Thanks I all read have them I have all carl's games for J_64 waiting for Protector SE Im like 10 or 12 games short of having all the games for the J_64 Space Wars 2K is on the way! Missile Command 3D is one that I need well for zero 5 it took me some time to learn the controes and I still fight with it! I hope JUGS well not give me no hard time! Ive luck out on Aircars Ive got for $70.00 off ebay befor it got on the hot list!

If you want something a bit unusual for the Jaguar, check out SpaceWar 2000. Although it's very buggy and incomplete, it is still fun to play - and only $60 US plus shipping.

Here's a review I wrote a while back...

http://gamefaqs.com/console/jaguar/review/R23672.html

Has anyone ever played it 2-player? I should find someone locally to play it worth to see what it's like.

I'm lucky enough to have all of those titles: Battlesphere, Skyhammer, SpaceWar2k, Zero5 and Missile Command 3D. I think they are all excellent. SW2k is a great solution to no Battlesphere, at least you can play head-to--head or co-op with one game! That's the best part anyway. One player is comparible to guantlet mode on BS (just no starbases to protect). Excellent graphics, fast&smooth.

Zero 5 is very cool looking with a smooth frame rate. I don't mind the trenches myself, you can get used to the pattern or listen for the sound of an unbreakable wall and move aside, I zoom right through those, and I rock on the gunner mode, which is my favorite, especially through the asteroids. But I always end up disoriented in the "galaga" mode...I just wish the camera would have stayed behind the ship. Jamma joystick or Songbird's rapid fire controller recommended.

Skyhammer just rocks. The framerate is decent and after engine upgrades, you'll be cruis'n. Good textures that actually get better and slightly more diverse in the last two cities (3 HUGE cities in the game).

Missle Command is great too. VR mode shines. Again, great graphics.

Battlesphere of course is basically StarRaiders for the Jag, at least in 'Alone against the empire mode' (no rearview or long range scanners). Pictures of the game just make it look like shaded polygons. But when you see it in motion with the light sourcing and shading in real time and the cool explosions, all at upto 60fps, there's no doubt that this game is running on a 64-bit machine. Get your hands on any and all of these games.

Pinball machine, really! 400 bucks can get you some stuff!

I think I could get *almost* 2 Atari Falcons for that!

Or complete my Jaguar collection!

Maybe I'm weird but I played both Zero 5 and BS at JagFest, though I can see how one may like BS for it's Networking features (Which would be really fun!) exclude the fact that anyone lives near you that owns a jag, top that with them owning a CatBox and a copy of BS then maybe! Zero 5, I really got into that game.

You start out just blasting away and I left with a feeling that it was insanely hard, but I went back like 3 times at JagFest just to play it again, where as to BattleSphere I picked up and played the training mode for about 5 minutes and knew at that point it was a game for "time consuming crunchers"

(Learning curve)

The only game I can think of that will make me sit on my arse for 4 hours or more is Tempest2000 and a few others..

Granted, when I get ProtectorSE I'm sure that'll get more hours of play, as well as when I get Zero 5 and SkyHammer.

My buddy Tony even liked Zero5 and said I should get it.

Someguy..... you want to *ahem* trade your copy of Zero5 ? (I'm sure you will only be interested if you have a Jaguar CD and plan on getting ProtSE)

Clint

Someguy..... you want to *ahem* trade your copy of Zero5 ? (I'm sure you will only be interested if you have a Jaguar CD and plan on getting ProtSE)

Sorry, no. I don't have a JagCD drive yet, and probably won't get bother getting one unless I see a lot of interesting games coming out for CD.

quote:

Originally posted by GOAT Dan:

What you didn't get to do is the Alone Against the Empire mode which is, in my opinion, the crowning acheivement of the game. Basically, it is like a game of chess played in space. It was done exceptionally well, and you can sit down and play a game of AAtE in thirty or so minutes.

yep!

To a certain extent, both Battlesphere and Zero5 are games that as you get better at them, they get much more interesting and they get better too! The A.I., especially in BS is fantastic, still the best dog-fighting I've done in a game of this type, and I own the Wing Commander series, Colonoy Wars, Starfighter(3DO), Space War 2k, StarLancer, etc. But you have to be good enough to handle the A.I. at tougher difficulties in order to appreciate it. Zero 5 is similiar, but it's more shear numbers as opposed to intelligence in the A.I.

Pinball machine, really! 400 bucks can get you some stuff!

Yeah, it's pretty slick. It is actually the GOAT Store's as we picked it up for a centerpeice of the gaming event we're holding this year (details coming soon!) but now it has some strange resetting issue, so we might sell it and pick up another...

Maybe I'm weird but I played both Zero 5 and BS at JagFest, though I can see how one may like BS for it's Networking features (Which would be really fun!) exclude the fact that anyone lives near you that owns a jag, top that with them owning a CatBox and a copy of BS then maybe! Zero 5, I really got into that game.  

What you didn't get to do is the Alone Against the Empire mode which is, in my opinion, the crowning acheivement of the game. Basically, it is like a game of chess played in space. It was done exceptionally well, and you can sit down and play a game of AAtE in thirty or so minutes.