IGNORED

bad connectors?

VidGameKing

I find that quite often I get a "red screen" when inserting a cart: I'd say about once in every 3 or 4 inserts.

Usually the problem is solved by powering off, and reseating the cart.

I'm not sure why it happens so often - perhaps the Jaguar's cart pin-outs are narrower and closer together?

Other than that my Jag works great, so I've lived with it.

many times it's caused by dust build-up inside the connector and/or dust&tarnish on the cartridges. Use pressurized air can and alcohol or similiar to clean tarnish. Plus not having it plugged in all the way or perfectly straight does it too...

I hate to brag or anything but my baby has never done anything like that (maybe because it's in mint condition but still).

How old is Your Jag Marialover? These things usually come with age, just look at the worst design-flaw of all times, the NES. I don't think there is a single system in this world that has been fighting the users more than that piece of hardware.

I don't think I've ever seen a cart port go bad except on the origianl NES systems. It is usually the carts that get dirty and cleaning them will generally fix the problem. Of course, if you played a lot of games that had dirty connectors in your system, some of it will transfer to the cart port.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

On the other end of the spectrum, instead of old connectors, it can be 'new' ones as well. I got my Jag & CD new from Go Atari and it was indeed brand new. It took me awhile to get it, both carts and the CD player going due to 'oxidized' contacts.

I don't know the science behind this but it's pretty simple, if a contact hasn't been used in a long time (or never), it builds up a coating of atmospheric materials. Anyway, this can be fixed by cleaning the contacts vigorously and gyrating a cart in and out of it. It worked for me so keep it in mind when thinking: 'is this cart really old or really new?'