IGNORED

RANT: The US and Canada

Atari-Jess

since Canadian Jagusers are few and scattered about in Canada, I have given up my search for Jaguar stuff in Canada, of course ill still buy what I find, but I doubt ill find any. So lately Ive resorted to purchasing online from the US. I now realize that this is also too expensive for example,

I lately purchased 6 atari 7800 games a dollar US each, that still 1.40 canadian which is still good, but in total it cost me 23 dollars just to have it sent here. which is about 16.30 in american so, to get 6 7800 games @ a dollar each, it cost me 10.30 american more, just cause I live in Canada.

This has made me realize that purchasing from the internet is also a rather stupid idea for me and my low income, being Im only 15, and I have no job. There are no jobs around where I live, I have tried unsuccesfully to start a comic and collectables store but had to be shut down thanks to low sales and high rent.

The only reason I have a Jaguar is thanks to Stanjr who though an act of kindness has given me a Jaguar for my own, and the only reason I have ANY games at all for it is thanks to Lemmi, who also as an act of kindness had given me a spare copy of Club Drive.

Club Drive is a fun game for a day or so, then you realize its true value when you play with a friend, this I am also unable to do as there was only 1 controller with the Jaguar.

Lately, being christmas and all I worked hard doing chores (no allowance, its get as i do) to earn roughly 140 dollars canadian or 100 dollars american. This money took forever to get (3 months) and I already have spent it all on only 2 things, the first being a Jaguar CD attachment which i am spending roughly 70 USD for with shipping included and another 30 for shipping of an XEGS which I am trading for.

This leaves me with 0 dollars.

I now look and see that I soon will have only 3 games for my Jaguar, blue lightning and vid grid (along with club drive) And I know that I cannot save without a memory track, or play with a friend without a second controller.

Now that I have no money, and more money will not come for a while that I cannot save (breakfast and lunch money) I am now "stuck" with what I have, why?

thanks to USD to CND conversion and the price of shipping. If there was no conversion and no shipping I would still have 45 dollars to spend on 4 more games and another controller but instead thanks to shipping and U to C conversion I cannot afford those games and controller as i am out of money and 45 canadian is not enough to buy those games, 70 dollars canadian is what I would have to spend.

So why am I typing this?

I need to vent it out somewhere and perhaps I will have more good fortune and someone will be crazy enough to send me more stuff (ha! ha! ha!!!!! *doubled over laughing*)

Well either way thanks for reading this stupid rant...

Yeah, this isn't a cheap hobby. I get burned all the time on shipping charges and exchange rates, but I usually try to factor that in when I buy stuff. In fact, most of my video game pricing lately ends up taking place in American money... if I see a certain game, I think of it's value as $20 American instead of $30 Canadian.

I really think you should have bought more Jaguar cartridges before you got the JagCD... The JagCD is cool and all, but you'd probably get more fun out of games like Super Burnout and Alien Vs. Predator than you will out of Blue Lightning and Vid Grid. They're not bad games, (In fact, Vid Grid is pretty cool) it's just that spending $70 on a JagCD to play them is much more expensive than getting 3 or 4 cartridges. But as long as the JagCD pleases you, I guess that's what's important.

As for finding Jaguar stuff in Canada... you're right, it's not easy to find. There's only one place I've seen in all of Winnipeg that has anything for the Jaguar. All of the stuff they have is stuff I already have (Except for the Hover Strike cart.. but I already have the CD), and the place is known for charging excessive amounts for their stuff, so I never bother inquiring about it.

--Zero

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are great games, but the reason that they have little replay value is that you need to learn specific moves and specific timing to see the successful animation. Once you have learned the patterns, there is no real challenge to the games themselves.

By the way, I have them on DVD for Digital Leisure and in addition to the games, the Digital Leisure versions for the PC come with a few extras.

Sorry to hear about difficulty in obtaining Jaguar items in Canada. Hopefully you will be able to find somewhere local where you can obtain Jaguar items and not have to worry about the convertion rate.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!

Hey Jess,

Have you tried Dentec?

Dentec

I don't know if their prices are $CDN or $US because they keep changing back and forth, but they are located in Toronto. I bought a Jag w/ Ruiner Pinball and Pitfall (all new) from them for $29.99USD a couple years ago.

I just sold almost all of my Jag stuff before Christmas on eBay...nearly 40 games including Battlesphere, but I kept a few games and my spare console.

well mr monkey, im gonna find out by going to their place in toronto today if they will just sell me games right there, cause if they will im getting me FIGHT FOR LIFE, IRON SOLDIER, TEMPEST 2000 AND ANOTHER CONTROLLER!!!

(i might have to drop one of em though and buy later)

*pats lost monkey on his head and gives him a 'naner*

Hey Atari Jess,

I certainly can feel your pain over The US currency vs the world. Here in New Zealand $1NZ = only 0.40c US thus any items I buy from ebay not only get 'over' doubled in price, but then US postage screws me as well.

The main problem I have, is, I'm addicted to buying all this cool Atari stuff! ;-) So I cant stop.

For example, I recently brought a few Jag carts on ebay, $7.99US each, Thats cool, but in NZ Dollars thats $19.99 each. hmmm, Still okay for now, but then airmail to NZ is $17US, another $42.50NZ, so my cheap BIN's on ebay cost me over $100NZ. Which isnt cheap.

Games I got BTW, Zool2, Iron Soldier, Club Drive. NIB

But what can I do, Ebay is where all this stuff is, and usually is cheaper than online stores. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :-)

Holmes

New Zealand

that sucks, you know exactly how I feel.

well i got them games from dentec they ran out of controllers

eitherway i got what i said i would get

Tempest 2000

Fight for life

Iron Soldier

now I can finally show off my jaguar and have people NOT laugh at 'club drive' assuming all jag games are like that, fight for life kick ass but like its been said, the fights take too long its not like tekken where you can just go and kick kick punch! cause the dude always ducks or sidesteps, its annoying, so i usually try to push em off the arena so i instantly win...works somewhat

iron soldier is hard but its a fun game

and tempest 2000 just plain rocks.

YAY MIB GAMES NOW CIB! well, still mint, just opened now...

62.82 i think it cost with tax and all

so about 44.87 american not too shabby for shrinkwrapped games....

(just fixed a few errors...)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Atari-Jess ]

• 4 weeks later...

Holy ****!

I checked out that Dentec web site http://216.156.56.97/dentec/games.htm#Atari

and they have three carts I don't currently own (Zool2, Ruiner Pinball, and Dino Dudes) for about $18 CANADIAN each! Even with shipping and GST the total for all three is $75 CND or about $50 US.

That is way cheaper than I'd find them for on EBay or anywhere else.

quote:

Originally posted by
:

I certainly can feel your pain over The US currency vs the world. Here in New Zealand $1NZ = only 0.40c US thus any items I buy from ebay not only get 'over' doubled in price, but then US postage screws me as well.

Hmmmmmmm, looks like I need to start buying games from New Zealand and Canada, eh?

..Al

I feel your pain Atari-Jess. When I was 15 (a decade ago) the Canadian Dollar was worth 90 cents US and Canadians would jam the border to go down to the States to buy cheap American goodies. How things have changed.

You can thank Messrs Chretien and Rae for flushing Ontario down the toilet.

I became disenchanted with Canada years ago.. so I moved to the United States. It's a move I've never regretted. I hope one day to become a U.S. citizen.

Now I've just got to get my Danish/Canadian girlfriend down to the U.S. She lives in Toronto, so I still spend more time in Canada than I do in the United States.

KA

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else ordered from Dentec recently?

I sent in an order back on Jan 31st, and am still waiting 15 days later. Now if the items were shipping from the USA, I can see it taking 2 or 3 weeks because of Customs inspection, etc. but a shipment from Ontario shouldn't take more than a few days.

I sent Dentec a polite email Thursday AM asking them to confirm the order has been shipped - but I'm still waiting for a response. So far I am not too impressed with their service...

Ahh i wasnt paying attention again ok then i would start panicing.

I hope you get a responce from your e-mail soon

I had the same problem from E-coleco i ordered 3 colecovision games and i got a e-mail saying they sent the order but i NEVER got it, good thing i got insurance on it so now im just waiting for the USPS to get off there butt and send me my money back

quote:

they have three carts I don't currently own (Zool2, Ruiner Pinball, and Dino Dudes) for about $18 CANADIAN each! Even with shipping and GST the total for all three is $75 CND or about $50 US.

That is way cheaper than I'd find them for on EBay or anywhere else.

Not to toot my own horn... aw hell...

Evolution: Dino Dudes (box, inst.) - $12.00

Ruiner Pinball (inst.) - $12.00

Zool 2 (box, inst.) - $12.00

Zool 2 (cart only) -$10.00

If anyone wants to check out the classic gaming thing that I'm involved with, it isthe GOAT Store. I can also promise you that we don't rip anyone off for international shipping, as over half of our orders seem to come from outside the country :-)

Shipping from us to Canada for three games ia about $8 USD. So I was looking at it like this:

(3 games)

$36 USD + $8 shipping = $44.00 total

Still not great, but cheaper overall.

I've used Dentec in the past, and their shipping was extremely high, even with the customs and such difference so I haven't used them since. It is too bad that most places rip you off with shipping. We're reworking our Web site so that shipping will be just about exact on every order :-)