IGNORED

PDP Spacewar Hack!

Rob Mitchell

Thomas Jentzsch and I wish to announce a hack that we have been working on jointly .. A hack of Spacewar to make it resemble the PDP Spacewar!

Changes:

Smaller ships

More thrust required for velocity/momentum

Smaller missiles

Limited travel of missiles.

Slower velocity of missiles (which are subject to gravity)

Sun gravity increased >3x over original game.

Outer space is Black

New retro player colors.

Game matrix still applies as the game format has not been changed from the original 1978 Spacewar. Try game 5 with a friend .. quite a challenge!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

pdpspacewar.zip

Hehe..."orbiting" works :)

Yes! You can get some cool orbiting effects .. like fire backwards and have your shot orbit around the opposite direction! :D

Or be traveling at a great speed and fire backwards and see your missile hardly move! :)

Thomas and I were talking about how the original programmer included alot of PDP Spacewar features in his code .. but marketing people probably made him tweak it into an action thrust, turn and shooter game.

This hack really rocks. Maybe with a few more changes .. like player collision which still needs to be done .. this BIN could be released on a cart.

What do the difficulty switches do? Ever consider having them make a player susceptible to his own shots in "A"...or invulnerable to the star in "B"?

Any possibility of changing the "death" animation to be seperating expanding debris (perhaps small bits so that they match up no matter the direction that the ship is in)?

What do the difficulty switches do?  Ever consider having them make a player susceptible to his own shots in "A"...or invulnerable to the star in "B"?

Any possibility of changing the "death" animation to be seperating expanding debris (perhaps small bits so that they match up no matter the direction that the ship is in)?

This hack was just changing some parameters to make it play more like the 1962 PDP Spacewar which inspired it.

The difficulty switches do not do anything .. as the time of missile life is now limited. Well maybe they still work with the docking games.

what does PDP stand for?

I really do not know what PDP stands for .. just that it was the mainframe computer that many universities used though the 1960s and all were running various versions of Spacewar in the evenings. That's where Nolan got a taste of video gaming .. and a vision of the future!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
If PDP Spacewar is released on cart .. I hope that the label has a 1960s look to it.  Maybe a pic of the original game screen .. and some 1960s blocky lettering font (similar to the numbers at the bottom of personal checks).

I've been told that the 1960s script is called Winchester font.

Thomas:

Any possibility you could work out the collison detection of the two ships running into eachother and reset to starting position without incrementing the score? If the gravity were tweaked just a bit greater it would be finished! Other suggestions? If the green ship were a little more greener?

Any possibility you could work out the collison detection of the two ships running into eachother and reset to starting position without incrementing the score?  If the gravity were tweaked just a bit greater it would be finished!  Other suggestions?

Just coming back from holiday. Give me some time to check my other projects, please.

If the green ship were a little more greener?

I'll try, but it will also get a bit darker then.

• 2 months later...
Bumpo....any progress? I'd kill to do some Spacewar as it should be.

Sorry, too many projects on my list.

At least I got rid of three last weekend (Minigames Compo) and currently only have one almost completed minor task which is already almost finished. But I won't promise anything.