IGNORED

BattleSphere currently cheap on ebay...but for how long

JagMX

There were already two BattleSphere carts up on EBay when that 3rd auction was posted by TBird. They've been putting carts of BS up on EBay when others are up in an attempt to keep the price down.

Currently the first 2 carts are sitting at $200 and $199, so I suspect you may win that bet.

Ya know, I've wondered why the 4Play guys don't port BattleSphere to Windows and sell it as shareware or something. A lot more folks would be able to play the game and see what all the fuss is about. And any time someone wants to get a copy, 4play could just throw another CDR in a burner and zip out another copy.

I guess it would just require an enormous amount of time to do a decent job of porting to such a different platform.

I guess it would just require an enormous amount of time to do a decent job of porting to such a different platform.  

You've just answered your own question.

They said they wouldn't do it without solid funding, which I agree with; no point in producing another sales turkey.

Stone

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

I currently have an extra copy of Battlesphere that I got in a big system buy about a year ago that I want to put out on eBay to try and recover some of the 150$ that I calculated it cost me in that purchase. I have been very wary though of putting it on eBay though because I don't want to be labeled a Battlesphere scalper since I won my second copy in a recent silent auction.

If anyone here is looking to buy Battlesphere I highly recommend not going the eBay route as Scatologic has been doing these silent auctions and you can pick it up pretty cheap - if you call 100$ cheap. It beats 200$ though. There is a big demand for Battlesphere but many people are just not up to checking Jaguar Interactive II every day to see when a silent auction begins and that is what you have to do if you want to get Battlesphere for a decent price.

when you say "extra," do you mean that it is a second cartridge or that you already have 2 or more copies? I wouldn't call a second copy "extra," because I would use it for linking...3 for me would classify as "extra," because while I do have 3 Jags (I bought 2 "extra" back when I thought I could get 3 catboxes and 3 battlespheres; boy was I dreaming), I only have the Jaglink, so anything over 2 is an "extra." Don't tell me you only want one and never want to network? That would be ludicris in my book. On the other hand I'd love to take your "extra" copy off of your hands, but alas, I am once again a poor student and anything I get will be in trading for a while... I will trade you a COMPLETE c64, 2drives, printer, geos&mouse and HUNDREDS of games and some apps. Plus a C-380 videopinball console, PLUS a complete 7800/2 controllers and ten games, PLUS a Colecovision super controller and about 10 games all for your one little copy of BS! Interested? If your into Atari 8-bits, I'll even throw in a 1050 drive with US doubler mod too...(I have 3 and SIO2PC, so I can spare at LEAST one)

I currently have an extra copy of Battlesphere that I got in a big system buy about a year ago that I want to put out on eBay to try and recover some of the 150$ that I calculated it cost me in that purchase. I have been very wary though of putting it on eBay though because I don't want to be labeled a Battlesphere scalper since I won my second copy in a recent silent auction.

If anyone here is looking to buy Battlesphere I highly recommend not going the eBay route as Scatologic has been doing these silent auctions and you can pick it up pretty cheap - if you call 100$ cheap. It beats 200$ though. There is a big demand for Battlesphere but many people are just not up to checking Jaguar Interactive II every day to see when a silent auction begins and that is what you have to do if you want to get Battlesphere for a decent price.

I personally HAD two from the first run. I might like a second copy again. I have two of the other networking games. I have two consoles, at least. When we had the Battle Sphere network of 10 consoles at JagFest 2k1, it would've been cool to loan someone a CatBox and a Battle Sphere just for having a larger network... and some people did, if I remember correctly.

My brother knows this guy with a big screen TV. We have been going over to his house to link up Halo for the xbox around once a week. (We've had up to 8 players and luckily a couple people didn't show.) If Battle Sphere was more readily available, I would be able to play with someone, I'm sure. Unfortunately, it is only available in these intermittant, regulated, price controlled surges. It's VERY sad. The only Jaguar game that boasts "up to 32 players," is hard to come by for two. ScatoLOGIC can do silent auctions of ten at a time, but they can't post ten at a time on eBay. They have 8 dollar shipping when it should only cost $3.50 in the USA. You can't get Battle Sphere for the price I sold it for, even from ScatoLOGIC if you happen to get the game for the silent auction opening bid price. And Thunderbird doesn't understand why people are a little frustrated with Battle Sphere?

The person I sold the game to has written a review of the game for Jagu-Dome, helped with the creation of a Battle Sphere overlay, and has a license plate that promotes the game. This guy really seemed to want Battle Sphere, or I never would've sold it. He talked me into it. I wonder how much business he's drummed up for the game himself...

I just won one of those silent auctions - and I'll be getting BS for a LOT cheaper than I'd have to pay on EBay.  

There's absolutely no way you're getting it for as little as I sold mine for. You're paying too much if you got it at the opening bid price. You're paying too much if you got it from ScatoLOGIC after the first run.

I won't buy another one until they become a reasonable price and they will become first run prices again if people don't buy them at outrageous prices. It's supply and demand. Deals will come along eventually, if buyers act accordingly.

My future's in the past.

quote:

They have 8 dollar shipping when it should only cost $3.50 in the USA. You can't get Battle Sphere for the price I sold it for, even from ScatoLOGIC if you happen to get the game for the silent auction opening bid price. And Thunderbird doesn't understand why people are a little frustrated with Battle Sphere?

You can bag on us all you want, but if someone is going to pay $100-200 for an item, it WILL ship insured. I refuse to ship to people who don't insure their purchases.

So, shipping for $3.50 is NOT OFFERED.

BTW, it costs $3.90 to ship an item UNinsured, not $3.50... they raised the price earlier this summer.

P.S. I understand why people are "frustrated", but we're not going to feel guilty for things we don't have any control over. I'm glad we got it out and made a lot of people happy.

There's absolutely no way you're getting it for as little as I sold mine for. You're paying too much if you got it at the opening bid price. You're paying too much if you got it from ScatoLOGIC after the first run.  

The second and third runs went for the same price as the first one. Only the runs after that were forced to raise prices because parts costs got so outrageous we would have been selling them at a loss if we held the price where it was. Not only did EEPROMS go into the stratosphere, but our wonderful suppliers were trying to gouge us DEEP on the plastic and boards! We also had to pay up-front for additional printing because we underestimated the total demand and ran out of packaging.

I scratch my head and wonder if anyone out there ever built a product from the ground up to sell it!!

I wonder if anyone out there even realizes that even though our costs were high, we made sure that those first runs sold for the SAME price as Atari sold their 4MB games for.

quote:

You can bag on us all you want, but if someone is going to pay $100-200 for an item, it WILL ship insured. I refuse to ship to people who don't insure their purchases.

So, shipping for $3.50 is NOT OFFERED.

BTW, it costs $3.90 to ship an item UNinsured, not $3.50... they raised the price earlier this summer.

P.S. I understand why people are "frustrated", but we're not going to feel guilty for things we don't have any control over. I'm glad we got it out and made a lot of people happy.

Bag on you? I'm not sure I follow you there and, from the sounds of it, I don't think I want to. I was following the subject heading and commenting on the topic.

Shipping services have you sign for insured items. Nocturnal creatures do not appretiate signing for items during daylight hours. Sun worshippers should be more understanding to the twilight dwellers. We sleep during the day. How do you like being wakened from a deep sleep? The price you pay has more significance than a dollar sign.

I recently did a price check on a package of two games and a composite cable. The total came to $3.45 for 4th class and $3.95 1st class mail. If priority mail went up in price, I really haven't noticed. The USPS website still says that Priority Mail, up to 1 pound, is $3.50. That's not really the point though. Fixed prices, like $8 for shipping, always turns me the other way. This does not ONLY apply to the Battle Sphere auction, but it certainly belongs in this discussion.

The things I've just mentioned are things you can control... like the use of auctions instead of sales. You can take it as commenting on the topic, or customer feedback. Guilt, in any form, was not sought after.

You've made many people happy with this game and I'm sure you will continue to do so. We're all overjoyed to see a super new game expand on the already impressive game library of this great system. I'm certain you've heard it many times. People are excited about the game or they wouldn't be willing to pay so much for it.

The second and third runs went for the same price as the first one.  

I certainly wasn't keeping up on what runs there may have been while I had two Battle Sphere games. I did not plan to sell my second one. If the second and third runs took place during that time, your correction is noted.

Cheers!

Shipping services have you sign for insured items. Nocturnal creatures do not appretiate signing for items during daylight hours. Sun worshippers should be more understanding to the twilight dwellers. We sleep during the day. How do you like being wakened from a deep sleep? The price you pay has more significance than a dollar sign.

I understand your situation, but it doesn't change our policy as we have had a number of really harsh learning experiences to go on.

The insurance is really to protect the SELLER as much as it is the buyer. If the carrier loses an item, then the recipient automatically assumes that the items never shipped and the seller ripped them off.

The hassle of proving something was shipped to someone is much more of an inconvenience than having to sign for a package.

But we're glad you enjoyed your copies and that's what our goal was in the first place. Thanks.

I got a copy a couple weeks ago here. I feel like i overpaid for what the game really is, but i guess that's my fault for not getting it in the first place. I was also dissapointed, because the bottom of the box was slightly crushed during shipping (ha slightly) and so it doesn't really close properly.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: borsox13 ]