IGNORED

The Kaboom! Equation

Karrolls56

In my opinion Kaboom! is one of the greatest games for Atari 2600. It is so addictive and I continue to get better and better, but I can’t manage to score 5000 or higher. I AM CONVINCED that this game can be summed up into one mathematical equation, yet I can’t seem to put it all together. The first round the bombs are worth 1 point, and there are ten bombs. The next round has 20 bombs worth 2 points each. This pattern repeats until round 5, when there are 75 bombs. But, once you hit 1000, you can gain back a diffuser. My main concern is, should I choose to let a bomb drop right before 1000 points, so that I can get back my defuser, or should I choose to go the faster route to gain more points per bomb? I want to apologize to all of those people who are disgusted for me taking the time go so in-depth into this simple game, but I love it.

Kaboom is one of my faves too. Best thing to do is like mrfood says. Do that before each thousand up to three thousand. Then just master the last (fastest) pattern and you'll get a ton. I've yet to break 10,000...but now I hit at least 6-7 every time and every now and again come close to that elusive 10k, but just short. Great game.

My high score is 23,000 not 2300 this is a very high score. I can almost get over 10,000 everytime I play at my store. People stop playing Halo and watch everytime. Yes drop bome right before every 1000 points the game take 2 steps back in speed every time you drop and also changes the pattern every time you drop one from the tight pattern to the loose pattern.

Dropping a bomb on purpose is simply avoiding bomb group 8. This tactic will never allow you to get enough practice at this most difficult level. You may get a nominally higher score in the beginning, but to take it to the max-- master group 8. It's really a disadvantage to miss a bomb after just passing a 1000 threshold. Trying to catch half of group 7 with 2 buckets is not bad, but taking group 8 to the next extra bucket is where things get tough. This is the point of mastry--group 8 with 2 or even 1 bucket! (I'm not at this level of play, but there are those that are!) :twisted:

When my 7800 devcart worked, the best way to get really good was  

playing Saddoom! (Thomas Jentzsch's Kaboom level 9 hack) :D

I'm at 26,0570 at the moment with a NTSC cart.

as far as I'm concerened 50hz scores don't count :P :P :P

I have 2 questions to ask:

1.) How do you count to 26,0570?

2.) Whats 50hz?

you hit 1000, you can gain back a diffuser.

Defuser? Funny. I always thought it was called a "water bucket" (hence the splashing sound). LOL! Follow the KISS principle... keep it simple.

And yeah, it's better to deliberately miss just before 1000 so the pace will slow down. How do I know? Larry Kaplan told me!

2.) Whats 50hz?

50 Hz = 50 Hertz = 50 cycles per second. That's how fast the PAL version of Kaboom runs, which means it's slower, which means it's also easier.

I have 2 questions to ask:

Typo. Should read 26,570

[

2.) Whats 50hz?

Thats how often the screen is re-drawn every second.

PAL Kaboom! runs 10hz slower than NTSC Kabom! (which runs at 60hz)

making it easier to get high scores ;)

@D.Yancey, what was your top score, Mine was 4023.

@D.Yancey, what was your top score, Mine was 4023.

I had gotten up over 100K back in the day. I don't have any photos left to prove it though. The upper range of my current scoring ability is about 25K.

RCmodeler Wrote:  Instructions... they're meant to be read![/code]
I've read the instructions and I disagree with this hint of missing a bomb on purpose.

For those who really want a big score in the game- you must learn to catch group 8 flawlessly with 2 and 3 buckets and group 7 flawlessly with 2 buckets or even with one. If you cannot do this consistantly-- your scores will likely always be below 10K. There are a few here on this board with Kaboom! scores higher than mine who may have more suggestions. This is a tough one folks! Good luck!

I was actually good at kaboom and I never bothered with any of that silly deliberately let a bomb drop to slow it down stuff. Although I would recommend it in cases when you slip out of "the zone" and need to get back into it.

Like D.Yancey said... it's best to learn to deal with group 7 (1 bucket in my case, but two would suffice) and group 8 with (2 in my case or 2-3).

I'm assuming group 7 has the patterned drop and 8 is the random drop. Since it has been ages since I played kaboom (lack of paddles in emulation makes it a real bummer).

you hit 1000, you can gain back a diffuser.

Defuser? Funny. I always thought it was called a "water bucket" (hence the splashing sound). LOL! Follow the KISS principle... keep it simple.

And yeah, it's better to deliberately miss just before 1000 so the pace will slow down. How do I know? Larry Kaplan told me!

2.) Whats 50hz?

50 Hz = 50 Hertz = 50 cycles per second. That's how fast the PAL version of Kaboom runs, which means it's slower, which means it's also easier.

are you always like this? man, you are a smart aleck.

I've always been quite good at Kaboom! I use to routinely get up in the 100,000 point range in High School. I got the patch back in the day and even got the high score 999,999. Sadly, after I did this feat, I never picked the game up until many, many years later (~4 years ago). I can still routinely get well above 30,000 points w/o much effort. During last years Seattle Atari Championship, I had a warmup score of nearly 11,000 points within a couple of plays. Sadly, I cannnot play in the tournament as I am an organizer :sad:

DSCN5192.jpg

As one gent stated here, you must learn to live a wave or two with only 2 buckets to get the high scores. I used to have a near out of body experience with the machine while playing the game. I'd just zone out.

Man those were the days....

-Lee

• 3 weeks later...
I've downloaded the Rom of Saddoom! and my mouse doesn't move in it on z26 or stellax. You think you can sell me a cart?

:idea: The emulators default to joystick control, so for unknown ROMs (e.g. new hacks or homebrews) you have to tell them to use paddle control.