IGNORED

Pitfall

~llama

I always get distracted by the phone or miscellaneous other nuisances so I never get to finish. :x Twenty minutes of solitude in nonexistent in my house and seeing as how there is no pause button I usually just reset. In fact I too have never beaten Pitfall but I always do pretty good until I get distracted. :| I'm going to play it now and I'll get back to you if I actually do make it through the 20 minutes. It's 12:45 so I stand a healthy chance at being able to play through. ;)

Pitfall 2 doesn't have time limit or lives limit so it's easy compared to original Pitfall.

Suggestion for hackers: turn the unused B&W switch to pause the game. I mean that's probably only a few line of codes to watch the Color/B&W switch and to suspend the game (and timer) when the switch is in B&W position.

Pitfall 2 doesn't have time limit or lives limit so it's easy compared to original Pitfall.

Yeah, yeah. But I always end up bumping into a stupid bat or frog or what-not and getting sent all the way back to some distant red cross. After a few times of this I end up getting totally frustrated and shut the darned thing off! I’ve never finished the game! :roll:

whee! i just got within a minute of finishing Pitfall! but now im tired... so i'll try for the whole thing tomorrow.

EDIT:

well, i tried again and got back to the same... :57 left or thereabouts and died, about five times in a row.

~llama after five straight near-20-minute games of Pitfall: banghead.gif

I have to agree with those who say Pitfall II is easier than Pitfall, although neither one is really easy! My biggest frusration in Pitfall 2 was that point where you need a balloon to get to higher levels... and, having no manual, I had no idea there WERE balloons in the game! I finally lucked into jumping at the spot I needed to jump out, and was pleasantly surprised by the baloon's appearance!

I have, however, beat Pitfall. It was over ten years ago during a summer in which I was REALLY bored. I mapped out the best way through the underground passages, and with a good bit of practice finally beat the game. I was terribly disappointed that the game simply ended once you picked up that last treasure - the rumor I heard when I was a kid was that you were showered with treasures from the sky if you could beat the game. Oh, those wacky school yard rumours! :-)

The most difficult thing for me is completing the entire game without running out of time. Collecting the final treasure takes a quite a bit of time. Even if you don't get a perfect score of 114,000, you must collect all the treasures to consider yourself having "Completed" the game.

I think Pitfall II was easier than Pitfall. I hated the "Sad" music that played when I was being "sent back". I have maxed Pitfall at 114,000 (but with only :07 time remaining--that was close), and 199,000 on Pitfall II. Getting past those Condors on II is the toughest thing in the entire game!

Pitfall would have beeen super tough if David Crane had left the game giving the player only one life. This was only modified to three lives at the last minute. Keep trying, you'll make it. And don't forget to send in your scores to Ron at Twin Galaxies.

I love both Pitfall games dearly. I can pretty much run on II, but I'm not as good with Pitfall! And while I can generally last out the 20mins (unless I'm having a bad day), I have NEVER found all the treasures, mainly because I have no patience for those underground passages, and that's the only way to do it. maybe someday..... :) :) :) :)

I like the Pitfall games but never had the patience to play the entire game from start to finish. It would have been nice to have a feature where someone could enter a code and continue where they left off. I am sure that I would have finished it if that sort of feature was added.

thats what i do, too... having to go back so far makes me hate life and then i turn it off.

The problem is not the game. The problem is your lack of patience. In Pitfall 2 all you have to do is wait for the enemy to pass, and then run. So it becomes a game of Wait-Run-Wait-Run. If you lack patience to wait, then you will keep dying.

As for the original Pitfall, if you run to the left it's a lot easier to survive, because the logs roll the same direction that you are running. http://www.gamefaqs.com provides a walkthrough to explain how to beat the game.

I can last all 20 in Pitfall 1, but only go to the left. I die every time I try to time the jumps to the right... Score, I do not remember, but 70K sounds right.

As for Pit2, I can't make it more than a few seconds into the game. There is a ladder that goes down like 10 levels, and I can't figure out how to get 'on' the ladder. I always fall down and die.

Frustrating, because I think I would really like it.

Cassidy

I've survived the whole 20 minutes several times, but I don't think I ever broken 100,000.  

As for Pitfall II, it's not too hard to finish, but getting a perfect score is a challenge.

--Jason  8)

True about Pitfall II, I can beat it every time I play it, but I have yet to get a perfect score. I think my highest is 197000 or somthing close to the max of 199,000.

And Pitfall I can't get more than 5 treasures without losing all of my lives.

So in my opinion, Pifall I sucks, and Pitfall II is the better of the two.

<--

I've gotten a perfect score on P2 once.  :)  

ONCE  :(

Congrats Inky (and everyone else who has achieved a perfect on P2)

I try for a perfect score every once in a while, but right after you die, you know that you need to start over and that is when I quit and try another day.

The problem is not the game.  The problem is your lack of patience.  In Pitfall 2 all you have to do is wait for the enemy to pass, and then run.  So it becomes a game of Wait-Run-Wait-Run.  If you lack patience to wait, then you will keep dying.

I guess thats why I'm bad at Pitfall 2 then :D

As for the original Pitfall, if you run to the left it's a lot easier to survive, because the logs roll the same direction that you are running.  http://www.gamefaqs.com provides a walkthrough to explain how to beat the game.

banghead.gifwhy has it never occured to me to run left? lol i feel like a total idiot now.