IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit Montezuma's Revenge - The End???

sonicr360

Hello everyone

My very first post! Fantastic Site :)

I have been into Atari at the age of 12, and one of my Dad's friends introduced me to Montezumas Revenge on the Atari 800! Bad Mistake! In under 2 days I completed the game..... sort of!!

After going through every level, collecting every item, and getting to see a "Mummy" stomping his feet with 2 doors next to his head at each side, I could not work out how to complete the game!

In fact I ended up back tracking all the way through the game, and the end result was being in a room with 2 skulls in the wall. Flashing!

The game was made by Utopia, and still feel that was one of the best platform games I was ever introduced to!

Last week, I got my Atari back out, and found Montezuma's Revenge! it took me about an hour and I got to the exact same point.... The Mummy (Or as I now feel is Montezuma) stomping his foot! And yet I am still unable to complete the game!

I wonder if anyone else has seen this or actually knows how to complete it! I have been working on an actual map this week of all the levels, and did you know the outer shape actually makes a Pyramid :) ?

I have tried contacting Utopia to no avail! I even found an Emulator version of the game, and to my surprise, the same thing happens.... same guy, stomping, same doors and even when the doors are opened, he does nothing but stomp!

I am very interested to hear peoples comments on this game, and I hope to hear from many other fans who hold this game close to their heart!

If it helps, the 8-bit version is COMPLETELY different to the 5200 and 2600, as well as the Coleco and C64 - I have these and none are the same as the Utopia version!

Thanks, Simon

I'd like to hear more about this too... and especially the differences between the 400/800 version of Montezuma's Revenge in comparison to the 5200 verion.

I've only played the 5200 version.. and that game doesn't really end. Although it does get to a point where the entire levels are invisible. However, in my short time playing the 400/800 versions via emulator, there are already a lot of differences right from the start.. and not to mention those "bosses" and other rooms you mention.

Has anyone out there done (or even have knowledge of) the differences?

strange times... yesterday (not knowing this thread...) i played on my GBA SP my old montezuma's revenge on GB... and it has the "rolling skulls" feeling but i imagine that these version is completly different...

i can remember to have a "glenn the 5200 man" (16k version) and a 48k version of the game in the 80s?

really a great platformer or nowadays called "old school" jump 'n run... from when is it 1984?

anyone else played it over christmas? maybe there is montezuma risinng... ;)

Hi again

NE146; The 5200 IS different! The Atari 800 / XL version by Utopia is completely different to this, the Commodore and 2600. In my own opinion, and having played the games, I have seen the 800 version being completely different to the others.

bryede - THANK YOU FOR THE MAP!!!! OK so as it shows everyone, the room with the 2 skulls is the last room I am in. And I forgot to mention if you try to climb your way back up, 5 screen or so, you constantly die! Its as if you cannot go anywhere else!

krupkaj - Glad its not just me :) - But I have even tried to contact UtopiaTechnologies (formally Utopia) but it appears they have either gone bust, or someone else has now got ownership to their Domain Name :(

Heaven/TQA - Yes I am aware of this site, and the 2 versions are the Utopia and the "Steve & Bruce" version.... in other words an incomplete version of the game, and it also has the same ending as the other versions of Monty .... getting to the end level and jumping down and down collecting jewels and swining from rope to rope..... only to find youself at the same level but a higher difficulty :(

It is unclear whether the Utopia version was finished, and what those 2 skulls in the wall mean!! Was the game not complete? It would seem such a waste not to complete a game that LOOKS complete!

Simon

have you tried the emulator version that comes with

montezuma's return? it's emulated with a special version

of xl-it! (The original 8-bit classic, Montezuma's Revenge, is included free with Montezuma's Return.)

I was watching the binary and looks bigger, besides this

is the last official version from utopia.

devweb

There must be 3 or 4 different versions of this game.

The last time I played this I got to the bottom, but there was a large pit there. When I jumped into the pit I fell through an area with lots of skulls and poles, then finally fell back onto the start screen.

Classic

There are a few, but there is only 1 with Montezuma stomping his feet! I have just ordered "Montezumas Return" and should get this in the next few days (Only reason for getting it is to play Montezuma's Revenge).

I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, if anyone knows how to contact the original programmers of this game for the 800 version (Robert Jaeger who also ran Utopia) I would really like to hear from you.

Finally, may I take this chance to wish you a Happy New Year

Simon

UtiopiaTech disappeared when Steve Bergenholtz and Rob Jaeger parted ways. Rob wrote the original game. Rob, as it is told, was disillusioned with the games industry and went into an entirely different field, while Steve went on to form Sandbox Studios. Sandbox just recently merged with DICE (Battlefield 1942, RalliSport Challenge XBOX), and can probably be reached through them. Steve's old business card I have is nothing but dead info now, so sorry I couldn't dig up more.

Great guys, fun to hang out with, and Rob was particularly a passionate programmer. I met them both when I was at NextGen and they were working on Monty 3D. The definitive version of the game, according to Rob, was the Title Screen version, where it slowly writes the title on the screen, which I believe is the version they included with emulation.

Mike

I have owned the diskette version of this great game for years, and haven't played it in a long time, but I have never seen any type of ending (guess I just wasn't that good at it). I usually only got through the second level and ended there

It has a blue label [credited to Parker Brothers dated 1984] and has the C64 version on the flip side with a grey label.

Mike

Many thanks!! I have now written to Rob this evening (UK Time) and will pray he can help!

My copy of Montezuma's Return is due to arrive on Monday and will eagerly boot up the MR version on this CD!

GEOSTEVE - Any chance I could have a picture of the DISK VERSION COVER? Hope this is not too much of a problem, but it would really, really help me !

Simon

GEOSTEVE - Any chance I could have a picture of the DISK VERSION COVER? Hope this is not too much of a problem, but it would really, really help me !

Simon

I am planning to add a photo album of my disk collection on Yahoo soon, but I need to know first if a scanner will affect the disks??? :?

I can use my regular digital camera instead but will not look as sharp (only a cheap model) :(

For now, here is a quick photo of the MZ disk...

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/geosteve_...mas_revenge.jpg

Sorry, I do not have any of the boxes or manuals to my 8-bit collection. All the disks are stored in a disk-holder with the paper sleeves and the carts are in a plastic drawer holder.

I remember the game as 'classics' described... passing the gold door moves you to a collection of poles and jewels then you fall to a higher level with more complex conveyor rooms but I never saw any kind of "bosses".

The real story is that Rob Jaeger had never finished the game. The well-known A800 version with intro is the version which RJ showed at the Consumer's Electronic show. Then Parker Bros decided to release MR on the 5200. Since the A800 version was 48K big, they cut the intro out, modified the game, simplified the graphics, just to fit the game in the 5200 16K cart. But someone in PB decided to release the unfinished A800 version, too.

So, it seems that the 5200 Montezuma's Revenge is the one and only official release of the game, and the "intro version" is sort of a work-in-progress :|

The 16KB version for A800 (I think it's a 5200 hack) is also known as "Preliminary Monty". Wonder why, since it is the official release.

The whole story is available at Leszek Zaciura's Atari site - what a pity it's in Polish :roll:

[/url]

Hello everyone

Ok I received the "Montezumas Return CD" and inserted into the PC! After install, I went straight to Montezuma's Revenge and ran into a few problems!

First, I am running XP Pro and it seem the emulator is not fully happy about this, so I set to Win98 compatability!

Second the XL-it does not seem to see joysticks! I cannot find a way to make the joystick work! There is a snag using the keyboard in that there appears to be almost a 1 second delay. So just when you think you are about to jump over a spider or skeleton head, you end up dieing, because the emulator has not had time to react to my input.

I got so far using the Keyboard and then gave up, trying to search for a way to use a Microsoft Joystick. So if anyone knows!!

Kr0tki - I hate the 5200 version! Its the same as the commodore version in that you get to the end of the levels and you are swinging from jewels to jewels. But as luck would have it, I have now got the DATABYTE version of Montezumas Revenge .... boxed and brand new! So when I get time I will try this version and see what happens!

If the statement you make is correct, then more fool Rob for having an excellent game and then NOT finishing it!!

I am going to try to make the Joystick work now.... any ideas is welcome!

Simon

If the statement you make is correct,

Hey, this is not my statement! I've only written what was on the Net! In other words - whatever happens, I'm not guilty ;)

then more fool Rob for having an excellent game and then NOT finishing it!!

Finishing of the game wasn't necessary since it was already meant to fit in 16K. The 5200 version is still a great game, I think.

I am going to try to make the Joystick work now.... any ideas is welcome!

Try running XL-it! from DOS or Win98 Rescue Disk (if you have one). I don't remember if XL-it was able to use joysticks, but maybe the keyboard delays won't happen... at least... :ponder:

Unfortunately I am running XP, and even when using compatability mode, it still suffers!

But I will find a machine that has Win98 and see if I Can run it from DOS!

I will have another bash tonight!

To be honest, I am not happy about the 5200 version and still prefer the Rob and Mark version!

And to date, Rob has still not contacted me!

I did find a Polish Site and I translated it, and it does sound like the game was and will always remain unfinished!

But I am not that good at translating!

Simon

Wow. I had the 5200 version and that was the only one with which I was

familiar. If it is an unfinished game, it certainly has an amazing amount

of polish and fun gameplay. It was always one of our favorites on the

5200 and the design seemed nearly perfect. A level boss would have

been a nice addition to the mix, but doesn't seem necessary.

--The Eidolon

Hi

No sorry, you may have misunderstood me.....

The 5200 was a "complete" game, but the ending is where you go down a pit and collect diamonds and swing from rope to rope and then eventually onto the next level.

the 800 version featured Montezuma ... but the ending of the game does not appear to be complete.... although I have a revised ROM of the game but I am having trouble playing the game using the keyboard!

So I will keep the list informed about what I find