IGNORED

What is Supermon?

doncleth

Hi,

I recently got an 800XL and when I press OPTION on startup, instead of going to the SELF TEST menu, it goes to a SUPERMON page. There's not a great deal of info about SUPERMON on the net except a review in the Atari magazine archives.

Can anyone provide more info on how to use it?

Cheers,

Don

• 17 years later...

SuperMON is a post market mod. Your computer should have a metal switch. The advantages of SuperMON is when it is turned on, you don't need a Translator disk to run Atari 800/400 software. Also it has a built in Screen Dump feature too (like a print screen), but I can't remember how to activate that. Its been like 30 years. SuperRAM is also another option that may come with the computer which included a 256k ram upgrade. 

• Like 3

Slightly related, I wonder if Ultimon II will see the light of day, last time I spoke to John it was near finished but he was starting or involved with a new business, he mentioned that nearer release I could have a play with it but then all went quiet.

Obviously I hope John is ok and all things are rosy but it would be nice to see a new machine code monitor..(forever the wannabe hacker)

• Like 1

There is also a version of Supermon called Printmon. The P: driver in the OS is rewritten to drive a small interface plugged in joystick port 2  (4 on 400/800) and the std centronics connector on a printer ie a cheap printer interface.

It falls over if programs make direct calls SIO interface bypassing the P: driver eg: paperclip.

Still have a few unpopulated boards here.

James

• Like 1