IGNORED

5200 Video Mod Problem

Tempest

I understand that not everyone has the tools to do SMT rework. So I

will do the fix for anyone who returns the board to me. I will fix and

return to board "no charge" within 72 hours of receipt.

That's very nice of you. I was just looking at that board thinking "how the hell am I going to do this?"

I have triedthe fix and it does provide more drive in both composite and svideo operation. However it does require some brightness adjustment in your TV. If you are satisified with the quality that you presently have than I wouldrecommend that you keep your board as-is.

What do you mean? Does it fix the "darkness" problem I was talking about? Does it introduce more problems?

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Hmm, does it eliminate the rf box ? Sorry, I just dont know much about the 5200 mods. Im not big on s video either. Do you do these mods ?

The RF box is a real pain to remove but once you do both an S-video and power jack mod (on a 4-port) it's essentially useless. I can do both mods for you and I can give you composite if you want instead of S-video. However, S-video looks really great on the 5200 and is a very nice step up from composite.

Radioshack SUCKS! :razz: :razz: I've just stoped by Radioshack and they didn't have resistors I needed to fix this buggy 8bitdomain mod. :razz: :razz:

You mean you went there for something other than a cell phone? I was talking to a clerk the other day and he said they were supposed to start expanding their electronics section. The problem with places like The Shack is having people working there who know what they are talking about.

Radioshack SUCKS! :razz: :razz: I've just stoped by Radioshack and they didn't have resistors I needed to fix this buggy 8bitdomain mod. :razz: :razz:

Do you have old mod that displays the Lucasfilm logo in ballblazer all wrong?

I changed the resistors the way the designer said and I remember it sucked.

It looked way bright, like too much gama and color was very dull.

I changed it back. Besides for the Lucas logo I havent seen anything wrong in the 8 years since. :)

RadioShack use to be the bomb to get whatever little Electronic devices and equipment you needed. They were especially good for replacement parts and the small stuff . Now it's nothing, filled with damn People who have virtually no knowledge on anything. Half of the stores nothing but cell phone cases, And overpriced phone chargers!

Edited by Atari the Jedi

Yeah, it's hit and miss for Radio Shack whenever I need to go there for something (that something never being a cell phone or cell phone accessory). Fortunately, we have a Fry's Electronics, and they have a considerably larger selection of electronics. I usually try Radio Shack first, though (if it's something relatively common) as I'm not a big fan of Fry's.

..Al

Do you have old mod that displays the Lucasfilm logo in ballblazer all wrong?

I changed the resistors the way the designer said and I remember it sucked.

It looked way bright, like too much gama and color was very dull.

I changed it back. Besides for the Lucas logo I havent seen anything wrong in the 8 years since. :)

I got the missing space invaders thing going on I haven't tried the Lucas logo thing.

Edited by walter_J64bit

We don't have Fry's Electronics here in Goldsboro, I'll just have to wait for my next day off and I'll hit the local electronics store, maybe I'll can get lucky and that 8bitdomain mod run like it should on the 4 port :lolblue: thing is I've only got like 5 hrs use on the mod.

Have you tried Mouser or Digi-Key? Way better than either RadioShack or Fry's in that they're much cheaper and have a far greater selection.

Have you tried Mouser or Digi-Key? Way better than either RadioShack or Fry's in that they're much cheaper and have a far greater selection.

Huh, I know Digikey used to have a fee if your order was under a certain amount, but it looks like they may have done away with that. I generally prefer Mouser, as they have a warehouse in Texas so I get everything the next day for just UPS Ground shipping. Because of shipping, if you just need one part, it's generally a better deal if you can pick it up locally.

..Al

Ok, I've got the mod installed, I had to run the A/V cables into my VCR, for some reason my TV won't run with the A/V cables going directly in to the TV :? but any way I can see the lost grey Invaders. :grin: Oh I didn't need to replace the resistors. :P

This mod is definitely shitty in some respects. The designer admitted to designing it base on a wrong data sheet or something like this.

I have a portable 7" RCA crt and it also will not display video from this mod via composite.

Your VCR is doing some conversion of the signal so that is good. You can use it. :)

• 2 years later...

I saw this looking for some info on a problem I am having with my 5200 w/8bitdomain mod. I think (hope) it is just have a loose ground on my composite video out. I was playing my new Sinistar cart for a few minutes and the video went to nothing but artifacting. It is too late to work on it tonight. I will try again late this week.

The video mod has been trouble free since I installed it in 2007.

https://books.google.com/books?id=h_yJNav8tuMC&pg=PA446&lpg=PA446&dq=8bitdomain+5200&source=bl&ots=VoVmLVZaMz&sig=J7pM_v-4u3WqPSM-KW7Jd3DZ6bo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fW0GVafyF4W9ggTNqYCQCA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=8bitdomain%205200&f=false

It is the Atari 5200 mod items in the Console hacking book. The book extract has other consoles as well. I thought I had a copy. I ended up ordering used off Amazon.

I also was using a just completed 5200 RSI stick. It played very well with Ms.Pac-Man!

500K, 250K, and 1K 1/4w resistors. They were a little pricey but they eliminated some soldering.

http://stores.ebay.com/World-Famous-Electronic-Component/RESISTORS-/_i.html?_nkw=MPR24&submit=Search&_fsub=4150044012&_sid=70170412