IGNORED

NUON or Jaguar CD?

AKIRA

i was gonna get a Jaguar CD originally but ive recently heard of NUON DVD players,i already have an XBOX,but is it worth getting a NUON just for its games and stuff because i already have a DVD player(XBOX!).I can get a Toshiba SD-2300 NUON DVD-Video Player for $189.99,i can get the Jag.CD for $150.00(thats with ALOT of extras)...what one to get?!

The NUON's greatest advantage is that the DVD players that use it are pretty darn good. If you are going to get one, get the one I did: the Samsung N501. It has the best image and the advanced Virtual Light Machine.

A downside as a gaming platform is that there are only six officially released games for the NUON: Ballistic (pack in with Samsung DVD players), Freefall 3050 AD, Merlin Racing, Space Invaders XL, The Next Tetris (pack in with Toishiba players), and (of course) Tempest 3000. Iron Soldier 3 was released, recalled, and then the disks were given away, so it can be hard to track down. As Thunderbird said, there are several home brew games that you can burn to CD-R, including Pac-Man. You'll need the N501 again, as that's the one with the best (meaning universal) CD-R compatibility.

The games' MSRP is $29.99, but buy.com sells them for $18.99 apiece. They sell out a lot, but you can do what I did: order all of them at once (in stock or not) as well as IS3 and other unreleased titles like The Game of Life and Monopoly until your order reaches over $99. That'll qualify you for free shipping. That way, they'll send you each title as they restock it for only $18.99 and you'll never get charged for the others because they'll never come in. If, by some strange alignment of the stars they do, you'll be one of the first to get them.

Before you make any decision, go to NUON-Dome and read up on the platform. It's a better DVD player than the XBOX, so for that alone it could be worth getting.

Also, remember, the JagCD has a stronger following and so will likely still be actively collected in the years to come. NUON may fade into history, so this could be your last chance to get on board.

I've got a tremendous business here and it's growing bigger every month.

Now, nobody's going to get sloppy.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

Nuon's a dead platform now and barely any games were made for it.

Actually, that pretty much describes both system

To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy either. $150+ is a lot to spend on a dead system, so you'd probably be better off spending it on a dead system that at least has a lot going for it (spend it on 2600 games for example).

However, if it has to be one or the other, I'd say get the JagCD. It may not have a lot of games, but Battlemorph is pure genius, and the rest are quite good nevertheless. Plus, I think 20 years from now, the JagCD will have more collectors value than any Nuon.

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by AKIRA:

i know that the Jaguar CD still has little,but does have games being produced by companies such as Songbird Productions...but is NUON still having games being made too?

ScatoLOGIC almost got suckered into developing for the NUON, but luckily they went back to making their top-quality Jaguar games instead!

>>

<<

I think there are two kinds of dead. A console can be commercially dead in the mainstream and still have a strong aftermarket/homebrew life.

The 2600 is 25 years old and falls under that category. I don't think the Jaguar has a particularly large userbase these days, but Songbird has been able to push out several titles. I don't know long-term whether the Jag has much of a future with homebrewing, although the tools are definitely there. It really has to have a cult cachet in order to keep alive.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

>>

<<

I think there are two kinds of dead. A console can be commercially dead in the mainstream and still have a strong aftermarket/homebrew life.

The 2600 is 25 years old and falls under that category. I don't think the Jaguar has a particularly large userbase these days, but Songbird has been able to push out several titles. I don't know long-term whether the Jag has much of a future with homebrewing, although the tools are definitely there. It really has to have a cult cachet in order to keep alive.

Believe me, the Jag has a strong, if small (and it's growing, not shrinking), cult following and will continue to have releases of both the homebrew and semi-pro/professional variety for many years to come...Dirt cheap development tools and the possibility of cheap cd media have now garanteed this. Songbird, ScatoLOGIC and B&C already have cd-encryption-bypass carts and development software to go with it; whether J.U.G.S and JUGS DD, BJL mod., JAGfreecd/BJL and B&C's solutions as well as the original, professional development tools. All widely available for cheap development. In all, so far, 14 full, professional titles have been released since Atari discontinued the Jaguar as well as two incomplete titles and numerous demos. With several cd's already planned for release later this year...The Jag's a classic that is here to stay for generations, it was Atari's last, best hope and will hold a place dear for many Atari fans for the rest of their lives...

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Htbaa:

What the hell is a Nuon?

Ok, here in the netherlands Nuon provides us power (electiricty)

NUON is a DVD processor that allows for enchanced DVDs as well as advanced functions with standard DVDs. It also can be used as a gaming platform.

As I stated earlier, you can learn anything you'd like to know about NUON at the NUON-Dome:

http://www.nuon-dome.com

Same M.O.  Killed the same way, everything.  Hmmmph!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys !

Gunstar is right. The Jag has a very small but still growing cult of developers that continue developing and releasing Jag games. Even if it grows only very slowly and it takes very long to do and release a new game.

I hope with the new tools like JagFree CD/CD Bypass of BSG and Prot SE and also JUGS and BJL more people will start Jag development.

Anyway, Starcat Developments will do their best to bring at least one more high quality game to the Jaguar: Star Alliance - Battle for Earth.

Regards, Lars.