IGNORED

Quick & Easy Video Upgrade for 800XL

Bryan

Thought I would share how I installed my composite disable switch. It's an SPDT mini toggle glued inside the case at an angle with hot glue so it's barely protruding through the vent. A plug made from a two-pin header allows me to disconnect it easily when removing the top of the case. Plenty of room in the space behind the shield for the switch. I put it directly above the RF channel select, but you could fit it almost anywhere along the rear edge. Fairly discreet and no hole in the original case. If I ever want to remove the switch, a few drops of isopropanol will release the glue.

[Switch inside case]

[Composite ENABLED]

[Composite DISABLED]

20191103_165438.jpg

20191103_172337.jpg

20191103_172346.jpg

Edited by rmzalbar
  • Like 4

As a follow-up, I originally did the "Quick & Easy" but then went ahead and did the full Super Video 2.1 when I added the switch. For composite, at least, they are about the same.

I finally got a Y/C cable together to test S-Video today, and I see no difference at all on my CRT TV with composite enabled vs. disabled, so I may remove the switch after all. Perhaps I should test on an LCD first.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a non-working 800XL on ebay that only had one socketed IC. Since Star Raiders would boot I figured the problem was OS ROM or the memory ICs. I removed those Components and added sockets and the problem was corrected after replacing the memory. I couldn't help but notice that the video was sharper than most XLs. I know this is a later model because of the lack of sockets and the fact that it has BASIC rev C.  After hooking up the chroma I was really surprised at the video quality. I am still going to do this video mod but I know there isn't as much room for improvement as there usually is.

I have been doing the Super Video 2.1 mod on most of the 800XLs that I upgrade and I have noticed that sometimes the image is actually too sharp and it makes the Last Word difficult to read. Has anyone else noticed and is there a way to fix the problem other than using the UAV.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, rchennau said:

So years ago I did the Super Video 2.1 upgrade with CV disable switch.  What I can’t figure out is why I wired a 3rd wire to the CV disable switch and where does it go?

55101B3D-E33F-46CC-9D98-5C2449180722.jpeg

63515EE9-7532-47F6-B45F-1F97BFB3C7C8.jpeg

Update: The switch has an LED to light it up.  Hence the third wire.  Now where do I draw power from on the 800XL?

• 2 weeks later...

No, I wouldn't suggest that...

I would hope that the switch had two separate isolated contact pairs and the led would need it's own ground and power leads... check if that is the case...

if it is you need another wire...

If not you wouldn't want a common point injecting current into the video for any reason...

Chances are it is separate and remains lit, though some turn on/off the led with switch position.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:43 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

No, I wouldn't suggest that...

I would hope that the switch had two separate isolated contact pairs and the led would need it's own ground and power leads... check if that is the case...

if it is you need another wire...

If not you wouldn't want a common point injecting current into the video for any reason...

Chances are it is separate and remains lit, though some turn on/off the led with switch position.

It does have separate poles for ground and power.  Now I need to two wires to find a place to solder.   

29261DBB-5734-49D6-8C2D-08E8C472C14F.jpeg

• Like 1