IGNORED

Combat Redux Design Contest

Albert

I myself like it, but don't think I care for that 'sectioned' look. Not that it's sectioned, just the way it was done... it looks like it's made from a scan of a folded piece of art, rather than being sectioned, if that makes sense.

It's nothing I'd lose sleep over (like I said, I like it) but I'd recommend reexamining the sectioning (that is, if you're at all looking for input... if you're just sharing the label, disregard).

Zach Matley and AtariAge have chosen the 28 playfields that will be included in the Combat Redux binary and the cartridge to be released at next month's PhillyClassic 5! The three random recipients of a Combat Redux cartridge are Al Kuester, DDCecil, and Walter Lauer, and every individual who had a playfield chosen will receive a $5 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store. To view all the winners, as well as all the the other (nearly 200!) submissions, please visit the Combat Redux Playfield Design Contest page. Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who made this a hugely successful contest! If you enjoyed making playfields for Combat Redux, you'll want to go take a look at the Indy 500 XE Track Design Contest we're presently hosting!

I am completely psyched!! :) I was hoping that one of my entries would be chosen, I just really wanted to be a part of the continuing Atari story. AtariAge rocks! Zach rolls! I seriously am really freakin' happy about this...I can't wait to get a copy of the game!! :D Congrats to all...too cool.

late,

p

I am honored to have one of my entries chosen. I look forward to getting the cart. and playing the many great entries on it. Well, I better go buy my lottery ticket now since I rarely win contests. 8)

Thanks AtariAge!

Al

BTW, who do I get in touch with to collect on my cart and gift cert.?

We have tentatively chosen all the contest winners, but want to make a ROM of them all before we announce them to make sure there are no problems with any specific mazes. ..Al

I was just curious if any of the mazes caused any problems. :ponder:

Also, I was a little disappointed that none of my complex mazes were chosen, but at least a few others were. :)

Jeff

(Btw, I already have 9 tracks ready for Indy 500. :D )

BTW, who do I get in touch with to collect on my cart and gift cert.?

I am going to email all the winners shortly to explain how to collect on the carts and store credit, as well as get clarification for how everyone wants their name printed in the manual, and try to get everyone to title their levels. :)

..Al

I was just curious if any of the mazes caused any problems. :ponder:

Yes, there were several maps that could not be used for technical reasons. For instance, some maps placed obstructions where the tanks started out, causing them to move (we deemed that unacceptable). Others had places where tanks could get trapped. And some had many narrow corridors, making them difficult to navigate. Lessons learned should we have another Combat design contest (always a possibility!)

(Btw, I already have 9 tracks ready for Indy 500.  :D )

Oh dear. :)

..Al

Thanks again to everyone who participated. There were over 200 entries and space for only 28 in the ROM, so as you can imagine, we had to let a lot of great playfields go.

Now for some honorable mentions:

Most ironic:

JasonTorchinsky_2.png

by Jason Torchinsky

Best use of Japanese pop-culture:

DiscoSnorlax_2.png

by DiscoSnorlax

Best reference to a game based on a motion picture:

LincolnBraun_1.png

By Lincoln Braun

We will release the binary shortly after the PhilyClassic premiere. However, you can download and play all the entries as separate files right away. Philadelphia is a long way from where I live, so someone let me know how the Combat Redux tournament goes!

:)

If you're willing to commit to at least a Combat Redux sequel, then you might consider altering the label art slightly to read "Volume I" somewhere before production really gets started.

...Unless you'd like the first batch to be limited editions (inexpensive!) of course.

I am going to email all the winners shortly to explain how to collect on the carts and store credit, as well as get clarification for how everyone wants their name printed in the manual, and try to get everyone to title their levels.  :)

Author: Al Kuester

Title: Monolith

AlKuester_3.png

I haven't received a message yet, but you might want to send it to my e-mail address in my profile, which I just changed. I was tired of going through all the spam on my other address, and I might have accidently deleted it!

Anyways... YES! My design was chosen... plus a free cartridge?! :D I have NEVER been more happy in my life. Thank you Atari Age for the great contest!!!

BTW, I call my entry "Ode to Adventure" unless I think of something better by the time I get the official e-mail response. ;)