IGNORED

Poll: Games you'd like to see developed

johnnywc

Hello all,

I've been dabbling in 2600 programming for a bit and I've started 4 games with my limited knowledge. Starting games is easy - finishing them almost impossible.

With this in mind, I'm asking the community to take an informal poll and rank these game ideas in order of which one you would like to see finished. Of course, this is no promise it will be finished, but I'll give it my best shot... :)

1) Strategy action/adventure game based on the board game Dark Tower. Mostly strategy, turn-based up to 4 players. I want to incorporate some action into the battle scenes with the brigands.

2) Side-scrolling shooter where you land and kill creatures with your man. Think Scramble meets Berzerk. I actually submitted this game idea to Atari back in 81 - they rejected it unfortunately. I still have the game design though!! :)

3) A conversion of the arcade coin-op Mappy.

4) "Realsports Hockey". It's currently a vertical scroller.

Thanks for any input!

Side-scrolling shooters are always great and since you already have the design in mind it might not be a bad place to start. I really like strategy/adventures more than anything though. I'm not familiar with the board game Dark Tower, but if the game can be anything like Drakkhen on the snes that would be great!!!!!!! :D

Wow, these all seem like good ideas for 2600 games. I would like to see any of them made into homebrews.

But since we have to rank them, here goes.

#2. This sounds really cool.

#4. Ditto.

#1. I played Dark Tower, but it's been about 20 years and only a friend owned the game, so I can't remember the details of playing it. I might bump this higher in my ranking after some web searching on the game. I do remember that I liked playing it.

#3. Not a huge fan of Mappy, but it could be only because I'm not very good at it.

I've got Mappy on one of those pirated NES-in-a-controller things. I just didn't enjoy it that much.

There's a lot of shooters on the 2600 that are pointless, like Space Jockey, so i'd like to see a shooter that has more depth. Something along the lines of Gradius. Bosses and weapons power-ups would be cool. The 2600 doesn't have anything like that right now, but it's capable of the gameplay.

I don't know if the atari could handle this but heres an atari game I would love to see. It's actually just a mix of two game genres which you are considering. Does anyone remember Blades of Steel on the nes? It was a hockey game with a side-scrolling shooter for intermission! :D I would love to see that combination on the atari!!

so i'd like to see a shooter that has more depth. Something along the lines of Gradius. Bosses and weapons power-ups would be cool. The 2600 doesn't have anything like that right now, but it's capable of the gameplay.

I'd argue that VANGUARD has "depth" as far as 2600 shooters are concerned...there is a boss, invincibility pod, as well as horizontal and vertically scrolling stages too. It's not exactly Gradius, but there is a great deal of depth given the hardware! :)

Uhhhhh........ Ummmmmm........ I don't actually own a copy of Vanguard......... time to go bury my head in shame.......... :(

I guess i'll have to locate someplace to buy a copy of Vanguard now. I didn't care for the original arcade game that much, to be honest.

Galaga, followed by Bosconian and maybe Rally-X. Eh well, they aren't options, so Mappy...

How about a battle card game..... ok, now this is a good idea... based on videogame characters.... Like Mario x Pac-Man, but Pac-Man is combined with Power Pill card, so its attack atribute is incresed by X factor. However Mario player uses Mechanical Traps card, so Pac-Man will be unavailable till next turn... etc, etc... :)

Eduardo Mello

Thank you all for your input. Since this is the only game I'll probably ever finish, I'm going to go with the sentimental pick and go for #2 (it's called Mountain Raider btw).

Here's my big chance to show those fat cats down at Atari that they made a big mistake when they rejected my idea!!!

Ahhhh - revenge is sweet... :)

I'll be getting my web site up first with some pics/details etc in the next month.

Stay tuned!!