IGNORED

What game had the biggest impact on your life?

RCmodeler

ATARI = Breakout & Space Invaders - my first videogames!

C=64 = Elite. The first videogame that created a realistic world to explore. I spent HOURS exploring space... it was amazing!

PS2 = Final Fantasy 10. An interactive movie that totally blew me away. This game revived my interest in gaming, and I instantly upgraded from 16-bit to 128-bit!

Coin-OP: Space Invaders - the first game I ever played, I was hooked.

VCS- Combat, Maze Craze and Bowling. Pre home SI, I played this at my friend's everyday. By the time SI came home on the VCS I wanted one so bad I had dreams about it.

Colecovision: H.E.R.O. and Wargames The games I would have made if I could program

NES: SMB, SMB2, Castlevania. I became obsessed with finishing them

SNES: Choplifter 3. Another game I wish I could have been the person to design and program it.

PONG got me started with a little home system in the 70s

DONKEY KONG got me excited enough to play games as a hobby

CASH MAN was the first multiplayer I had with an explorable environment - me and my brother loved that game.

ELITE - for all those wasted months

JET SET WILLY/MANIC MINER - for all those wasted months

MIGHT & MAGICK 6 & 7 - for all those wasted months

LEMMINGS - it was just fun and puzzling and best 2D game ever.

HALO - the modern gaming equivelent to crack.

There's many more I could mention but these are the ones that shaped me into the gamer I am.

One of these threads seems to pop up somewhere every 3-6 months, but I always answer it the same way:

Pac-Man.

If it weren't for Pac-Man, I would never have become a huge game addict. Pong, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, they were all cool shit, but Pac-Man was the king, and all it's derivatives were held in equally high esteem. The only other game that even comes close would either be Galaga or Tron, and there was never a home version of (arcade) Tron.

2600- Bowling (Yes, Bowling!) and Commando Raid.

These 2 were some of the first games I had as a kid.

NES- River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble and the Super Mario Bros trilogy(1,2 and 3)

Genesis- Beavis and Butt-head, Sonic trilogy (1,2,3)

PS- Metal Gear Solid, WWF Smackdown, Siphon Filter, GTA and Driver

PS2- GTA3 and GTA:Vice, WWE Smackdown:HCTP

Well, like MMF, Pac-Man was the one that dragged me into this hobby to the point of no return.

But the game that had the biggest impact on my life was no doubt Ultima IV. As many of you know I am an atheist and the code of the Avatar was, for me, a moral compass I strictly adhered to for a very long time. To this day, it's a good baseline but as I grew up I realized many aspects are not ideally suited to the real world.

The biggest impact was COMBAT

It was the first ever game I played on a TV set besides Pong and I was blown away. I was too young to visit arcades.

Combat was packaged with the Atari unit and a friend introduced to the most amazing TV toy.

I couldn't beleive it was in color and the icons on the screen actually looked liked little tanks. I thought, what is this system, ATARI?? Wow, I HAVE to get an Atari!

From that point on I seeked out arcade rooms when I was allowed to and bought Atari games once a month. (Thanks Dad!)

NES- Contra, 2 player games havent been this good since

Genesis- Revenge of Shinobi, double jump? now, I dunno how games didnt have it.

PC-The 7th Guest. I was only 11 and this was a MA-17 game, and my Dad bought it for me as a surprise, I had never even heard of it. The only computer game I wanted for the longest time was Rebel Assault. This is what got me into puzzle games.

Leisure Suit Larry 6- My dads friend brought this game over when I was 12. He told my dad it was a funny adventure game. I knew better, a guy at school used to always talk about Leisure Suit Larry, I thought he was full of shit when he explained the game to me. I started it and was instantly addicted. Me and my 12 year old friends thought it was the funniest game at the time.

But most importantly, this introduced me to Point-and-click adventure games. That was my bread and butter for years, I miss the great adventure games like the classic Lucasarts adventures and LSL 1 and six (never got to play the rest) I always hope these games will end up on compilations on modern consoles or PCs

It's all a blur... Jeez, who can say exactly?

I was obsessed with Super Breakout for the 2600...

I played Pitfall II so much I couldn't sleep at night...

I plunked down $50 for 400/800 Donkey Kong when it was first released... (the most I ever spent on a game).

I turned into a zombie playing Elite II: Frontier all hours for the Atari ST...

Before Tempest 2000 music wasn't an important gaming element...

:)

well gta has been the bigest influence lately but as a kid it was all about nes mario 3 and then when my grandma got me a genny it was sonic. You know it's so weird how when I play old games like mario my brain takes me back to memories that I would have forgotten. A little off topic here but playing these games reminds me of when my dad would set the system up for me in his office and no matter how busy he was he would always manage to throw everything down just to play games with me. to come to think of it he's always been willing to take an intrest in my life like in feb were going to the philly classic together :)

SMB. It is probably the most recognizeable game there is. Someone hums 'Dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun' you know its mario. If someone shows you a picture, you think 'Mario' it set the standard for what a Side Scroller Action-Adventure game should be, and did that very well.

NASCAR Racing 4 (2001) and its successors on the PC(First ones that perfected online play).

Turned me from a straight A student in high school to one that plain sucked. Thankfully Sierra/Papyrus released their last NASCAR title in February of last year, so I've slowly got myself away from it and started to return to that A student in college...

I spent 2400 dollars on a new PC, 100 dollars on a new headset, 100 dollars on a shifter, and 800 on a wheel in the past year alone to satisfy my additiction. Almost makes me wish I wasn't getting so much financial aid each term that I was getting a surplus to waste on things like these.

:(

If you guys ever see a NASCAR commercial on tv where they say "How bad have you got it?", you will know I'm one of the freaks that has it bad. lol

Or you could blame River Raid for the Atari 2600 for getting me addicted to games in the 80's, which started the whole mess. lol

NASCAR Racing 4 (2001) and its successors on the PC(First ones that perfected online play).

I've heard a lot of people discuss this. Is it *really* that much better than NASCAR Heat or NASCAR Thunder?

"Have bad have you got it?"

Well... I repainted my Dodge Avenger to look like the ones on NASCAR (it has the big ram on the hood). :D

ZZT for PC.

It was a shareware adventure game released back in 1991 by Epic MegaGames (which became Epic Games, makers of all those Unreal and Unreal Tournament games). Nothing special: ASCII "graphics," limited lasting appeal... EXCEPT it came with a World Editor built in, which was a seriously powerful little game-making device (if you call making ASCII-graphics games "seriously powerful") with almost limitless potential.

I got hooked in making games with ZZT back in 1992, and I've been on and off ZZT ever since. It's really the closest I'll ever come to being a game designer. There's still a fairly sizeable underground following for ZZT on the 'net these days.

I would have to say Ultima IV. This was the first computer game where your actions had a moral component to them and you could not get away with the stuff that you did from Ultima 1 to 3.

The latest would be Final Fantasy X (Just finished that one a few weeks ago) and now my current favorite XenoSaga Episode 1 which I play almost to the exclusion of every thing else. I haven't even completed this one yet and I am already looking forward to the sequel in August.