IGNORED

The ending to Beyond Good & Evil. Spoilers !

Cafeman

If you still haven't beaten Beyond Good & Evil, you should not be reading this! Now click that back button before you spoil things for yourself!

Okay, I beat the game last night and I want to talk about it. First of all, I was definitely feeling sorry when P'eyj was found dead. And when he showed up alive later on, I looked at him suspiciously. But it turns out he was indeed resurrected by Jade's inner power. Okay that's fine but having to fight clones of P'eyj and Double H was a bit disturbing to me.

The final boss -- wow. That was some wonky stuff there. When the creature appears left/right/in front of Jade, it's easy to smack it, but I kept getting hit when it appeared above her since I couldn't hit him. Then I realized to tap the B button and dodge out of the way. When you get mentally affected and the controls reverse, and your vision blurs, I really thought that was aweseome stuff!

Okay, the ENDING. It has been a long time since a game's ending made me feel so warm. But the last scene, after the credits, was chill inducing! Somebody explain it to me?

Jade causes all the trapped inhabitants to be rescued -- she's floating in the air and she simply opens her eyes and smiles -- cue the credits. The music was really nice stuff and watching the lighthouse scenery scroll by , with new pictures on the wall of P'eyj and Double H and Jade, that was pretty nice. Not since NiGHTS Into Dreams have I seen such a nice ending.

But what happened to P'eyj in that last scene?

And what exactly is Jade's origins?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally finished ot so I can respond to your post!

About Pey'j.... I was waiting for this to happen to him... don't you remember what happened to Double H after Jade frees him from the Domz machine, how he started to change into a Domz, and she had to lead him back to the IRIS hideout, and they gave him "the last dose of the serum"? (Remember at the beginning when Jade passes out after fighting the Domz creatures for the first time, and Pey'j yells, "Hurry get the serum!") Pey'j was in the Domz machine for 3 weeks I thought for sure he should have been changed, but that's obviously what's hapening to him at the end of the game... and there is no more serum! (My reaction when I saw this end scene?.... "Oh you f-ing game!")

It all makes sense when you sum it up that way, Foxy. I didn't catch Pey'J say anything about serum and I can't recall the Iris network guys saying the serum had run out either (sometimes I'm a bit warm from brew & miss things when gaming later at night). Had I paid more attention ...

• 2 months later...

I just beat this game -great fuking game - i highly recommend this game to anyone.

but i forgot that i was missing one pearl (didnt finish one more roll of film) - is there anything xtra in the ending if you get al lthe pearls? or is there anything else that appears when you get em all? since ubi soft has a habit of making games in where you have to collect tons of things ;)

I just beat this game -great fuking game - i highly recommend this game to anyone.

but i forgot that i was missing one pearl (didnt finish one more roll of film) - is there anything xtra in the ending if you get al lthe pearls? or is there anything else that appears when you get em all? since ubi soft has a habit of making games in where you have to collect tons of things ;)

The more you get the hgiher your rank if you decide to plug your internet code on UBI's site. i beat the game with everything and without and both were the same. I think the last M-disk has all you pics of the animals.

And has anyone got the locker open next to the air hockey table yet? I've got 3 different codes online and none of them have worked. I wanna know what's in that thing!!!!

thanx for the info - yeah there were 2 more animals i needed to get to finish it up - in a month or so ill probabaly be playing through it again - its just so fukin good icant pass up another play through.

and ill admit it also - i felt bad when peij had died :D

And has anyone got the locker open next to the air hockey table yet? I've got 3 different codes online and none of them have worked. I wanna know what's in that thing!!!!

I think I heard someone say that Peyj left a code for you somewhere at the lighthouse and its the code to open the thing up. Besides, why would you look online for codes, everytime you play the game the codes are different, just to prevent you from using them to open everything up really easily.

• 2 months later...

This thread is back from the dead, just like Pey'j.

I just beat the game. Finally.

The first time I played through, I got to space, got to the Moon, but didn't realize 1.) There were no shops to buy health from and 2.) I only had a limited amount of hearts left. So when I got to the boss after I had saved ON THE MOON, I only had 4 hearts and no K-bups or Starkos! So I was screwed! (I tried and died probably 50 times AND left it on all night before I gave up and started a new game. Every time I died, I literally got to the maybe second or third to last hit before he struck me down.)

Plus I had missed a lot of stuff anyway. So I decided to start over.

Now I got most of the stuff, made a backup save on Hillys and went to space... WITH plenty of health this time. ;) (I plan on loading the backup and going after the remaining 5 pearls and Mdisk's THEN beating it again. Need to beat two races, the shark both times and the fourth Looter's Cavern. Plus disks 13 and 14. But at least the pearls.)

Made my way all the way through.

But the ending just seems a little empty. It was people floating, no talking, then Pey'j getting taken over. I was hoping for more, BUT I am reading into this as maybe a hint at a sequel.. oh how I hope there is one.

Is the ending different depending on what you have? Or will it always be the same?

Any word at all of a sequel in the works? I don't care what it costs, I would pre-order the Cube version as soon as it was announced. (How much did the first one cost when it came out?)

Considering the poor commercial performance every news gaming site seems to mention, it is unlikely. That's too bad, the designer of the game mentioned his group had story outlines of planets for Jade and company to explore. Maybe Ubisoft could include some of this left over material as part of a sequel.

B,G & E hasn't had poor commercial performance at all. The magazines were saying that it flopped at launch. But word of mouth (look here for evidence of that) have continued to sell the game. It's a real sleeper hit. There'll be another game, I've no doubt of that.

Well the game wasn't a hit either. That's what makes this game a sample case. It's a good game, yet it flopped commercially. BG&E had everything going for it yet it went unappreciated when it came out, forcing Ubisoft to lower it's price very quickly after its release. Ubisoft even mentioned BG&E's lack of success as a reason for decreased earnings on their quaterly financials report.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread again.

I just finished this game. It was too SHORT!!! But loved every minute of it. Musta finished it in 2-3 days.

A pity it didn't do well commercially.

Wasn't shawni the name given as her undercover name?

I'm so confused. Was the priest being controlled by the aliens?

The ending was a bummer...

Yes.

I'm so confused.  Was the priest being controlled by the aliens?

Priest?

The ending was a bummer...

It's supposed to lead into a sequel. Which we are probably never gonna get unless everyone goes to Ubi's lobby and demands to see the CEO. So yeah. Cliffhanger ending for a game that will never be finished.. for a while at least.

It'll be like Gilligan's Island. The series ended suddenly and it wasn't for 13 years that a "Closer" movie was made. And only because of the public's outcry. So let Gilligan be a lesson here. If people want a sequel, they have to let it be known.. And I'm not referring to Petitions.

Yes.

I'm so confused.  Was the priest being controlled by the aliens?

Priest?

Uh yeah, the final boss was a priest, but I got the impression that shawni "released" him from the control of the aliens.

As for the name thing. I found it odd that the resistance picked that name for her. Makes one wonder who's side they really were on.

Her name is Jade. Shauni is the name the Resistance gave her for undercover work. The thing is, if the two sequels were to be made, it would clear up all this stuff. Even MORE of a reason this game needs the SEQUELS! I hate when something is left unclosed because of lack of interest.

The "Priest" calls her that because it's what she's known as.. or is it.. See? It's a complex story! But dammit. We'll be hard pressed to get some answers. Even if there's only ONE sequel, as long as it closes the story for us.

Hmm..I hadn't even thought about the whole Shauni angle on this yet. You have to admit that it does seem odd that if the alien being, controlling the general and the other alien priest also calls her Shauni. This alien agressor seems to have a very long history with Shauni. Only Shauni doesn't know her past or at least doesn't recall it. But it would seem that she is possessed by some alien spirt herself?

And then if makes sense that the resistance knows about all of this, because I recall Pej actually saying that it was agreed with her folks to take her away to keep her safe. So he knew of her potential inside. If the sequels ever get made we will find this all to be some sort of prophecy long told and now being fullfilled. Or something.

I don't know, but now that you mention the Shauni and the Resistance calling her this. It seems that since Pej is the resistance IRIS leader, that he knew of the Shauni name already. He probably had already known that Jade would join the resistance and selected that to be her name. Afterall, it would the wake up call to the evil alien being that "Shauni had returned...".

Wow, I kinda like this discussion...classic game related..and yet..almost philisophical...cool.

8)

See? It's so complicated, it's a shame to not get sequels.

Basically, there HAS to be a reason she picked that name right out of the air. She didn't have to think. Maybe it was a name given by her parents. Maybe the alien is... Darth Vader!!! I mean, her Father.

Basically, it's all intertwined and impossible to actually figure out withour confirmation from the writers.Damn Ubi for not seeing the real story here. Sure it didn't sell well at $50 in a sea of higher profile games, but now it's more popular and a cult classic. Let's hope they eventually see it that way and we get what we deserve.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I couldn't resist the temptation of reading this thread. Oh well!

Anyway, I found myself just a little frustrated by the stealth action sequences you're forced to endure just after Pey'j gets kidnapped. I hope that this was an isolated incident, because stealth action is the bane of my existence and I really don't want to have to suffer through more of that nonsense. Geez, Ubi Soft... this isn't a Tom Clancy game. Jade's got a mystical pole, dammit... let her use it to defend herself!

So far, the storyline seems pretty straightforward, although I haven't played enough of the game to encounter any major twists. It appears that the DomZ work in the same manner as the Borg... they visit foriegn planets, infect the more influential and/or well-armed natives, then create an Alpha Sections army to eventually enslave the remainder of the citizens. The reason the Alpha Sections don't want people to pearls as currency is because they're the DomZ's vital organs, and giving the pearls value would just encourage people to hunt and kill them.

Does anyone else get a Jim Henson vibe from this game? Beyond Good and Evil looks like what might have happened if Henson had lived long enough to make a futuristic sequel to The Dark Crystal, or possibly Labyrinth.

JR

See? It's so complicated, it's a shame to not get sequels.

Basically, there HAS to be a reason she picked that name right out of the air. She didn't have to think. Maybe it was a name given by her parents. Maybe the alien is... Darth Vader!!! I mean, her Father.

Nope, they already did that in that other French action/platformer Kya.

JR

Well, if you don't like Stealth, this isn't a game you should be playing. It's one of the major perks. :D

Henson Productions Presents, Beyond Good and Evil: The Movie.

*cough*

Actually, this game, if it ever had a sequel, would make a great movie. And it probably wouldn't suck if done by the right people.

Well, if you don't like Stealth, this isn't a game you should be playing. It's one of the major perks. :D

One man's perk is another man's drawback. To be perfectly blunt, I hate stealth action. I was expecting Beyond Good and Evil to be an adventure game in the same vein as Zelda: The Wind Waker, but once I start really enjoying the gameplay, Pey'j gets kidnapped and everything goes to hell. I don't like having to inch my way through mazes filled with twitchy guards eager to sodomize you with your Dai Jo. Why can't I just FIGHT them instead? Because it's more "fun" to jump through the programmers' many sadistic hoops, you say? Er, no, not really.

Stealth action takes freedom away from the player and forces them to do everything exactly the way the designers want. The way I look at it, I've already paid for the game... I owe the programmers nothing else, and I refuse to earn my entertainment by completing a long, painful series of increasingly frustrating tasks. I've said a lot of nasty things about Grand Theft Auto in the past, but one thing the programmers did RIGHT in that game is letting you play it the way YOU want. You're not forced to repeat sections over and over and bloody over again until you can do them exactly right, without being noticed by the characters who you should be able to dispatch through hand to hand or weapon-based combat.

Some people seem to enjoy that kind of frustrating, rigid gameplay, but I do not. I don't play stealth action games, and I don't WANT stealth action in games which aren't clearly marked as such. If I purchased a game like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid 2, I have only myself to blame. However, when I pick up something like Beyond Good and Evil, which disguises itself as an open-ended action/adventure title but then quickly changes into something else entirely, I can't help but feel like I've been deceived and swindled.

JR

Anyway, I found myself just a little frustrated by the stealth action sequences you're forced to endure just after Pey'j gets kidnapped.  I hope that this was an isolated incident, because stealth action is the bane of my existence and I really don't want to have to suffer through more of that nonsense.  Geez, Ubi Soft... this isn't a Tom Clancy game.  Jade's got a mystical pole, dammit... let her use it to defend herself!

I quite agree. I felt the same thing. However, even with all the stealth (which I normally loathe, but it's building up to something really cool, trust me) it's still an amazing experience. The stealth sequences are actually a lot more puzzle based than something like MGS. There are a fair few of them but you do get to kick the crap out of the guards occasionally. Must admit, though, the first dungeon (on that photography expedition brief) was my favourite - no stealth there.