Sign in to follow this  
LamontCranston

Battleshpere Gold on ebay Editorial

Well, if they kept putting smilies and wink emoticons in their posts every time they'd mention it, I'd start to wonder.

Meaning you can't do anything about it. Or if you can, do it and stop your complaining. :roll:

Is it rare or something? Why dont they make a repro of it, so players can play it and people can still collect it.

I'm selling my copy of BSG, first person to offer $500 gets it. :D

Or, if you prefer the original, $300. :P

BS will never end up as a distributable ROM as long as Doug and Scott live and breathe.

The ROM is already floating around out there. ;)

I've seen it. I own BSG but I don't think that an available ROM will affect the value of the game to collectors. Look at the Neo Geo...

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject, because I don't want to keep an argument going.  Your analogy of the subject was a very poor outlook on how things are.  If I want a car and can't afford one, and go and steal yours, then you don't have a car, hence many headaches for you.  If someone wants battlesphere, and downloads the ROM, this takes nothing from anyone except maybe the greedy ebay sellers.  The carts the scatologic/4play have are always going to sell out.  They are not losing anything, and you are not losing anything(unless you're the greedy ebay seller).  Now I don't agree with the fact that someone owning a ROM ignores all copyrights on the game, but that is not the subject up for discussion.  It's that the game is hard to come by.  Given that I've said all I will say on the subject, have fun with it ;).

Your logic is flawed. If you distribute a ROM, first and foremost it is ILLEGAL. Does everyone understand that on here?

Jason

I dont think they do Jay :roll:

See you over at AEX :)

the game is WAY OVER RATED

Agreed. It wasn't worth the $150 I paid for it new. I only got it because I needed it for the collection.

Tempest

I don't think the game is overrated. It's a very very good game. It's just too expensive. But that doesn't make it overated.

peter

I don't think the game is overrated. It's a very very good game. It's just too expensive. But that doesn't make it overated.

peter

I'm with you Peter. It sure gets a lot of press, that's for SURE! :)

peter

Good point!

I'd still like to see someone like Songbird sit down with the Scat people and see about working out a deal to bring the game back out so that everyone who wants to enjoy it can purchase one at an affordable price.

Keep the same cart lable, box, & instructions that were used before; Carl does a GREAT job with boxes and instruction manuals, so the quality that Scatologic demands would be assured. Put the game on a black cartridge in order to preserve the value for those that have the "original" version w/clear cart. Drop off the CD's and JUGG's (which again preserves value for those with the original) and release it at a price so that Scat gets some money, Carl gets some money, and the Jag community can play and enjoy the game.

Don't know if any talks have ever happened, but it sure would seem that everyone would benefit from something like this.

Mendon

peter

Good point!

I'd still like to see someone like Songbird sit down with the Scat people and see about working out a deal to bring the game back out so that everyone who wants to enjoy it can purchase one at an affordable price.

Keep the same cart lable, box, & instructions that were used before; Carl does a GREAT job with boxes and instruction manuals, so the quality that Scatologic demands would be assured. Put the game on a black cartridge in order to preserve the value for those that have the "original" version w/clear cart. Drop off the CD's and JUGG's (which again preserves value for those with the original) and release it at a price so that Scat gets some money, Carl gets some money, and the Jag community can play and enjoy the game.

Don't know if any talks have ever happened, but it sure would seem that everyone would benefit from something like this.

Mendon

From what I've understood in the past, the box designs for Songbird games WERE done by someone over at ScatoLogic. The problem that used to be argued by certain persons from ScatoLogic is that nobody is willing to manufacture the carts with all the unnecessary stuff like gold contacts, etc. and sell them with all profits going to charity. Though no specifics were ever given, so it may have all been a smokescreen. Who knows if Carl was ever even asked...

It's a very very good game. It's just too expensive. But that doesn't make it overated.

True.

The fact that people call it the best Jaguar game ever is what makes it overrated.

It's a very very good game. It's just too expensive. But that doesn't make it overated.

True.

The fact that people call it the best Jaguar game ever is what makes it overrated.

The best Jaguar game ever is AvP.... IMHO... :)

The best Jaguar game ever is AvP.... IMHO...  :)

Jay, I have to highly disagree. Tempest 2000 is the BEST. JAG. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!11111

:D

Jay, I have to highly disagree. Tempest 2000 is the BEST. JAG. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!11111

:D

I second that with AVP a close second.

3rd i got Cybermorph.

Do you think AvP is best because of the overall gameplay or because its a 1st person shooter, or something else? Just curious.

I really like AvP.. great atmosphere and its first person (which is my one of my favorite types of gaming). But I also found it to be one of the most difficult to play (for me): I always seemed to find a horde of the Alien's that would tear me apart quickly or I'd have so much acid laying all over the place that it was hard to avoid stepping in it, thus I was constantly hurting myself to the point that one hit from the beasties would kill me :sad:

I know its me but for whatever reason I never really got very good at all at AvP, though I do very well on other 1st person games like Duke Nukem, Doom, MOH, etc.

I still like AvP alot and play it every now and then just to see if I can get further. Maybe I should try something other than the Marine character.

Mendon

Do you think AvP is best because of the overall gameplay or because its a 1st person shooter, or something else? Just curious.

I really like AvP.. great atmosphere and its first person (which is my one of my favorite types of gaming). But I also found it to be one of the most difficult to play (for me): I always seemed to find a horde of the Alien's that would tear me apart quickly or I'd have so much acid laying all over the place that it was hard to avoid stepping in it, thus I was constantly hurting myself to the point that one hit from the beasties would kill me :sad:

I know its me but for whatever reason I never really got very good at all at AvP, though I do very well on other 1st person games like Duke Nukem, Doom, MOH, etc.

I still like AvP alot and play it every now and then just to see if I can get further. Maybe I should try something other than the Marine character.

Mendon

I dont play AVP so much these days for the reason u said, its difficulty level!

Its not so much the surprise attacks by the aliens as much as those damn airducts!

Can anyone honestly say they got through without a cheat or using the maps in the Jag game guide book :?:

AVP is great to look at but its boring as hell. Every room is basically the same, its to hard, getting lost is easy because every frickin room is the same. Too slow too, turning around to shoot an alien takes minutes :roll: but again the game is nice to look at.

I'll put this topic back on track a little...

After commenting that Tempest is my favorite Jag game, followed closely by BattleSphere...

I own three copies of this game. I am not hoarding them, and I am not planning on selling them on eBay for HUGE PROFITS anytime soon. I have three copies because the game is a great game to play networked.

I also have three CatBoxes.

And three Jaguars.

Thus, I want three copies so I can play with two other people sometimes. I'm not hoarding my copies. I'm keeping them because I enjoy them. I was lucky enough to purchase my copies new from 4Play when they first released them, and got two of my CatBoxes cheap. If I had not got the game then and had to pay the higher prices now, I would probably pass.

Then again, I won't pay a ton of money for an Atari 2600 game like Glib, Tooth Protectors, Quadrun, Q*Berts Qubes, etc, etc, etc. Some people will. Does that mean the people that own those carts are idiots that are looking at them as investments? I don't think so...

Mendon

I do like 1st person shooters, but it's more than that. I feel it has great depth in the storyline, an awesome atmosphere, plenty of creativity and the fact that you can play as all 3 characters just adds to it's allure. I love T2K and BS/BSG, but this is the game.

It also holds a special place in my heart because it was the game that really "hooked" me on the Jaguar. :)

Jason

I have wanted to get BSG for so long.... I have watched its development way back in 97 or whatever the hell it was. THen I forgot about my Jag until I found this forum a couple of years ago and knew I wanted it. Had a chance to buy it from Scat but I passed b/c I was out of a job for over 6 months and had no prospect of finding a job. Sigh.... now, I can afford one but not at $250+ or whatever the hell people like to charge.

Oh well, I will probably never play this game. But heck, I will hold onto my Jaguar because of Tempest 2000, Defender 2000 and Missile Defense 3D. Sigh. :sad:

Don't say this too early...

When I passed the chance to get the classic BS I thought I would never be able to play it. Then time and time again at every occasion I missed to buy the game and thought the same again. But I jumped on the train with BSG even though I thought that 160$ would be a lot of cash. I didn't regrett it and have loads of fun with the game, even though I don't know anybody near me I can network with.....

Just keep your eyes open, one day there will be an oppurtunity to get the game for cheaper or something.....or you will have enough money to afford 200$ or something...

Never say never.

Peter

BS will never end up as a distributable ROM as long as Doug and Scott live and breathe.

The ROM is already floating around out there. ;)

I've seen it. I own BSG but I don't think that an available ROM will affect the value of the game to collectors. Look at the Neo Geo...

And a LOT of NeoGeo games hit BSG-style prices almost as standard :)

Stone

[who just dropped $135 on Radiant Silvergun and is very very happy :)]

RE the cost of BSG, I can sort of understand why the initial cost is so high. I have looked at the price of building from scratch myself of a 4MB cart.

For eproms alone.. 4x1MB eproms = £40

then there is the board to put them on, say another £4

Then the case, say another £4

and then we have labels and boxes and manual.. say another £3

(all values are guesses barring the price of EPROMS)

so we have a total of £51 or $93

and thats with NO proffit or production costs as to soldering building and most deffinately writing the game in the 1st place.

I may be out by a fair bit on some of the guess prices, but thats the cheapest I have seen 1MB Eproms for.. (those are UV erasable, so perhaps a few ££ could be saved with OTP, but I haven't found any of those yet)