IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

Just an FYI .. when compiling the software on FreeBSD (and probably Linux and Mac X), the compiler definition in the Makefile should be changed from "g++" to "gcc". g++ is rather strict about what you can and can't do (ANSI C++ forbids implicit conversion from `void *' in assignment).

Just a quick note to let you all know Chad truly is a genius. After a few emails, he was able to figure out the problem and sent me a new SC.ROM that cleared up my Supercharger bin issue! I'm truly impressed with his wizardry. Many thanks, Chad!

I can now say that the CC2 indeed rocks as a development platform. After spending a few hours hacking up a serial uploader program, I started to work on some 2600 code that I first wrote years ago, but never had enough patience to debug when I had to burn an EPROM for each and every development cycle. And I actually got the darn thing to work in a single evening. Now I have to figure out how to make a nice looking demo out of what I've been working on.

With all the development tools I've written (assembler, hex to ROM image converter, serial uploader), I'm can assemble and upload a new image in two seconds flat, with a single pipe-chain command line. Up-arrow, enter. It takes longer to power cycle the 7800 and wait for the crypto test to run.

The CC2 has lived up to the dream of Bankzilla. Able to run almost every game, and it makes a nice RAM cart too.

I received my CC2 the other day and it works great! However, I have many games that simply did not load due to not having a bank switching routine defined for them. I read the instructions as to how to get these to work, but it really was not at all clear to me.

Could someone explain better how to do this? Thanks so much!

-Rob

I received my CC2 the other day and it works great!   However, I have many games that simply did not load due to not having a bank switching routine defined for them.   I read the instructions as to how to get these to work, but it really was not at all clear to me.

Could someone explain better how to do this?  Thanks so much!

-Rob

This may help you out a little bit. It was a PM conversation between me and SS. (I know I don't explain things the best sometimes)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...p=612636#612636

Just an FYI .. when compiling the software on FreeBSD (and probably Linux and Mac X), the compiler definition in the Makefile should be changed from "g++" to "gcc".  g++ is rather strict about what you can and can't do (ANSI C++ forbids implicit conversion from `void *' in assignment).

For those of us used to "click next to continue" wizard installations and don't want to know about "compiling", "definitions", "Makefiles", and "Assignments, is there an easy to use Cuttle Cart setup program?

Ie.

1. "Format Cuttle Cart MMC? Insert the MMC into your cuttle cart and click NEXT"

2. Select the directory of ROMs you want to install on your cuttle cart and click NEXT"

3. Click FINISHED.

Not all of us are techno-wizards. :-)

I think it is because people seem to get offended when someone hand holds them too much (I say mostly Americans like me :) )

But this board can help anyone with getting though the setup of the MMC and I know Chad will help too.

I know I thought I would have to format the MMC and I tried to but my version of Windows (ME) does not have an option “/fs:FAT” in the format command.

So I tried it without formatting and it worked fine, I don’t know if I was chancing it or anything.

Did you get your MMC setup or did you need some help?

I guess getting though the steps in “Quick Start Steps” in the manual could be hard on people that never say the DOS prompt before.

For those of us used to "click next to continue" wizard installations and don't want to know about "compiling", "definitions", "Makefiles", and "Assignments, is there an easy to use Cuttle Cart setup program?

Ie.  

1. "Format Cuttle Cart MMC? Insert the MMC into your cuttle cart and click NEXT"

2. Select the directory of ROMs you want to install on your cuttle cart and click NEXT"

3. Click FINISHED.  

Not all of us are techno-wizards. :-)

In the CC2 user manual there is a quick start page that should get most people up and running very simply and very quickly. :)

Here is a CC2 serial loader program for those who use either Linux or OS X.

To compile it:

gcc cc2serial.c -o cc2serial

To use it:

Usage:

cc2serial [options] [input file]

Options:

-r baud    baud rate

-b name    bank switch filename (default 4K)

-s name    startup filename (default 78BIOS)

If you don't specify an input file, stdin will be used (so you can pipe stuff to it).

The data will be sent through stdout, so you will need to use a ">" redirect to the serial port. It is recommended that you use the "/dev/cu*" devices rather than the "/dev/tty*" devices, because of the lack of RTS/CTS control lines.

For example, here is what I use to send the patched Impossible Mission at 115200 baud:

cc2serial -b 78sc_r8k -s 78bios -r 115200 IMPOS78F.BIN >/dev/cu.USA19H3b1P1.1

The USA19 stuff is the device name of my Keyspan USB serial adapter.

Don't forget to set your CC2 to the desired baud rate first!

(Note: if you don't understand these instructions, please don't ask me to explain them. It's all standard Unix/C programming stuff that should be in basic Unix/C programming books, and you'll probably need to learn eventually it anyhow.)

cc2serial.c.zip

After having the CC2 for about two and a half weeks, I finally received my MMC and jumped right in today. The menu generator is fine, though my only dissappointment (and this is not with the CC2 itself) was that it only recognized two of my Atari 7800 roms (Double Dragon 7800 and Rampage 7800). Of course, I'm in no hurry, the 1024 other Atari 2600 roms that it did recognize will keep me busy for a long time.

Anyway, this thing is great.

Now, can anyone sell me their Intellicart? ;)

How do you (as a CC2 owner) have your menu organized? The 7800 games are (by default) set up to be first, but what do you do with the other ones?

I've gone through them and added PADDLE: to the paddle games and just sorted by Alpha. But one might want to sort by bankswitching type (to keep the more complex games together) or by favorites or whatever.

How is yours set up?

Do you have the latest CC2ROMDB file? They should both be recognized automatically.

Here are the settings:

Mr. Roboto (hack) MRROBOTO F8 78BIOS

Gunfight GUNNTSC 4K 26QUICK

Also, make sure you have the updated 26quick file.

Mitch

Gunfight needed to be changed, I'll try it again later. Mr. Roboto was correct to begin with. Wonder why it scrambled...?

I've made several changes to my MENU.TXT file for the entries, so I didn't want to run the cc2menugen.exe program again (thus erasing my changes, since I didn't modify the cc2romdb.txt file).

I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet with all the cc2romdb information in it. This'll make it easier in the future (but I still gotta go through it and change several entries to my liking!)

I'd be interested in any updated CC2romdb file, seeing as I've got a huge number of PAL files and others (such as Thrust) still not being picked up. Unless someone did manage to produce a zip with everything converted and a proper menu file...?

I've had my CC2 for awhile now, but just got around to getting it running this morning (and yes, I made lots of the same mistakes others have listed before me, like trying to recognize .a78 files and trying to use an SD card instead of MMC 'cause I didn't know there was a difference :) ).

What a *fantastic* product. I'm totally glad I bought one (the conversion rate killed me but what are you gonna do...) My favourite part is the menu - I spent all day Wednesday setting it up and you really reap the rewards for your efforts (I've organized everything by company and included a year of release - looks sweet!)

Can someone zap the the zipped bankswitching files? I accidentally trashed the folder on my MMC and I have no idea what I did with the install disk!

mailto: paul at treewave dot com

thanks' date='

-paul[/quote']

You have mail. :)

I have a complete backup of the entire mmc on my hardrive just in case anything hapens to the card. When I first got my cc2, I was moving files in and out of the games folder and I got a "mmc fatal error" every time I turned on my cuttle cart, so I had to format it and reinstall all the files and it worked fine. I still don't know what caused that error, but it is always a good idea to back up important files :D