IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

I just preordered,, and all I got to say is,, GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE

GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE

GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE :dunce:

All the CC1 carts on eBay have gone for $200+ Now who would want to pay that much when they could get the CC2 for that.

How much did the CC1 go for at the start?

CC shounds like it holds it's value :D

Golly-gee, EVERYONE should get one!

All the CC1 carts on eBay have gone for $200+ Now who would want to pay that much when they could get the CC2 for that.

How much did the CC1 go for at the start?

CC shounds like it holds it's value :D

Golly-gee, EVERYONE should get one!

$100

Since the CC1 works on the 2600 and 7800, it will probably hold it's value and obviously then some. There are certainly more 2600s to go around than 7800s, and more people know about the 2600.

Not to mention, the CC2 isn't directly a replacement for the CC1 -- the CC1 is basically an ultra-Supercharger, and as such works differently enough that a lot of people will still want both. (or need the CC1 as it's for the 2600)

I'm not planning on getting rid of my CC1 anytime soon despite having a CC2 on order, and I don't even have a real 2600 right now! :)

I just sent off my payment for the CC2. I purchased two of them. I plan to keep one for development purposes. The other I plan to give away in some sort of contest if I ever finish one of the two games I'm working on. God knows when that will be now that my daughter has come.

Hey check out my new baby:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bergstrom/baby/

Later,

Aaron

$200 isn’t a chunk of change that’s easy for me to drop but what really put the CC2 over the top for me was the idea of playing all of those games on a real system that I’ll never be able to get on a real cart. Things like Thomas’s “Sprint Master” hack, other cool hacks, and unreleased protos like “Save Mary”. Not to mention rarities like “Cake Walk” that are really worth playing but would likely cost most of what the CC2 sells for anyway. I can hardly wait! 8)

MrRetroGamer seems to have it right. I can't find a 32MB card for any cheaper. The only thing I regret is that the CC2 can't use the nearly-identical SD cards. I saw a 256MB SD card at CompUSA yesterday for only $70. That would have been perfect to both store my Atari files for the CC2, and have plenty of extra space to transfer files between my notebook computer and my desktop PC.

Actually I went to two different Best Buy stores as well as CompUSA, and they were all out of stock of the 32MB MMC cards. So I guess I'll shell out the extra clams for a 64MB chip ($40 at CompUSA), and hope it works fine in the CC2. In any case, putting ALL 2600 and 7800 ROMs with their manuals will barely fit into 32MB, so it might be wise to buy the 64MB device to allow for future homebrew games, newly-discovered prototypes, etc.

If anyone else can't find the 32MB card and decides to go with a larger one, make sure to format it to the FAT-16 specification as per Mr. Schell's instructions.

Good luck to everyone!

K.C.

Cheers for that. I don't have the Stella CD so no doubt I will go asking for some kind person to "donate" (or show me where to buy) it to me...

Since you're in the UK, you'll have to write first for the adjusted cost, but it's normally $5 shipped. Contact:

Randy Crihfield

P.O. Box 1332

Pepperell, MA 01463

Question: (Sorry if it has been answered...)

Just for fun I ran the cc2menugen.exe and cc2menu.exe programs. There were several games (mostly hacks, protos, and hombrews) that were not recognized. Also, seems that none of the Atari 7800 games were recognized either.

Do the 7800 games need to have a .bin extension like the 2600 games to be recognized? All of my 7800 games use an .a78 extension.

:?

Question: (Sorry if it has been answered...)

Just for fun I ran the cc2menugen.exe and cc2menu.exe programs. There were several games (mostly hacks, protos, and hombrews) that were not recognized. Also, seems that none of the Atari 7800 games were recognized either.

Do the 7800 games need to have a .bin extension like the 2600 games to be recognized? All of my 7800 games use an .a78 extension.

:?

A78 files won't work, you need the bin files.

Mitch

Cheers for that. I don't have the Stella CD so no doubt I will go asking for some kind person to "donate" (or show me where to buy) it to me...

Since you're in the UK, you'll have to write first for the adjusted cost, but it's normally $5 shipped. Contact:

Randy Crihfield

P.O. Box 1332

Pepperell, MA 01463

Cheers for that... I've gotten most/all of the PAL 2600/7800 ROMs now... what's on the CD that I don't have? The PAL Supercharger ROMs perhaps?

Apologies if this has come up, but I haven't seen it: can the CCII still see the files it needs to access if they are not in the root folder?

ie, I'm thinking of buying a 256MB card and using the extra space for day-to-day transfers, but if CCII software doesn't know (or can't be directed) to look in a folder within the card this would be moot.

Basically, I'm just fidgeting until the cart arrives :)

thanks in adv,

Btw will I be able to run both NTSC and PAL ROMs off the same card, or am I going to have to run separate MMCs for them?

Sure, that's not a problem.

Ah... silly me, I should have quantified my question better. Will I, for example, be able to have both say PAL Adventure and NTSC Adventure sitting on the same card at the same time, or can I only have one region? In other words, regardless of region, is the filename the game is stored under the same? If so, then yes I'd need one card for PAL and one for NTSC, because from what I saw, all the ROMs are stored in the same directory name...

Btw will I be able to run both NTSC and PAL ROMs off the same card, or am I going to have to run separate MMCs for them?

Sure, that's not a problem.

Ah... silly me, I should have quantified my question better. Will I, for example, be able to have both say PAL Adventure and NTSC Adventure sitting on the same card at the same time, or can I only have one region? In other words, regardless of region, is the filename the game is stored under the same? If so, then yes I'd need one card for PAL and one for NTSC, because from what I saw, all the ROMs are stored in the same directory name...

IIRC the CC2 menu generator recognizes both the PAL and NTSC versions. It renames the files with unique file names. If your game is not automatically recognized you can of course customize the menu and name the file whatever you want.

Long story short: both versions can reside on the MMC as long as they are unique file names.

Buck

These questions are generally covered in the manual, which is available for download from my site. (Even if I haven't made all of Rob Mitchell's editing corrections.)

You can name files anything you want (in FAT 8.3 format that is) and put them in the menu as any 40 ASCII character name you want. So yes, PAL and NTSC games can exist on the same MMC. (The menu generator will not recognize 90% of the PAL games, so you're on your own for renaming them.)

The CC2 requires a specific directory structure and specific files. But it doesn't care what else is on the MMC. However, I still recommend 32MB cards.

But please, do read the manual. It's a great source of answers to common questions.

http://www.schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Chad

Greetings, fellow Cuttle Cart customers. I'd like to introduce the possibility that one or more of us might team up to create a complete file set/directory structure on his or her PC which we can download onto our Multimedia Cards once we have received our Cuttle Carts.

I'd be glad to contribute to the ROM part of the thing -- I have just under 2,700 ROMs for the VCS (2600 system) and 130 ROMs for the 7800 ProSystem. Of course, many of these are duplicates, PAL versions, or identical carts using different ROM chip sizes. But I believe I have nearly every program made for the 2600 and 7800.

I also have over 440 manuals in plain text, but they are not formatted in the 40-column manner which the Cuttle Cart requires for on-screen display. Perhaps someone out there has programming skills and can automate the reformatting of the manuals. I have the programming ability of your average block of cheese, so I can't help out in that area.

Thus, since we have a couple of months before Mr. Schell ships his brainchild to us, I propose that we team up to create a standard, idiot-proof collection of files that can be copied to the Cuttle Cart's memory card. If we can gather all known ROMs and create the proper menu files for the Cuttle Cart, it would be a simple matter of drag-and-drop to the MMC once we receive our cartridges. And we would be able to start playing with the minimum of delay.

If anyone else thinks this is a worthwhile idea, please let me know, so that we might collaborate. It would be a shame to own a Cuttle Cart 2 and not be able to use it to its fullest extent.

Kudos once more to Mr. Schell for his fantastic invention, and I look forward to working with you fellow Atari enthusiasts to make the best use possible of our new toy.

Max T.

(max-t@satx.rr.com)