IGNORED

LOL! Atari Jaguars used in the dental field?

Adrian M

It looks like they used the joystick port holes on the front of the Jag as a place to install a carrying handle.

Not quite... the ports themselves are closer together, so they would still be visible despite the handle.

I would love to see if the bottom of the memory cart still has the word ATARI moulded into the plastic.

Not all Jaguar cartridges had this... in fact, I have 5 or 6 cartridges that don't say anything on the back. I think only first-party releases had that.

--Zero

Well, Bratwurst over on the DP forums managed to get the story on this by calling the company. Turns out they're just using the Jaguar mold to make the casing, and sticking their own electronics inside.

Makes me curious as to what ever happened to other system molds, like the Lynx or 5200...

--Zero

I think this is a hoax.  If you look closely at the image it looks (to me anyway) to be doctored, the logo on it doesn't look right, nor does the docking station.

Just because the image is doctored doesn't mean it's a hoax. Why on Earth would someone produce THIS as a hoax?

It's pretty common to "doctor" images of legit items for the Web (or even for print production), when you've got a pressing deadline and don't have quite what you need in the source material... you work with what you have and "Photoshop" in the rest.

Well, Bratwurst over on the DP forums managed to get the story on this by calling the company. Turns out they're just using the Jaguar mold to make the casing, and sticking their own electronics inside.

Makes me curious as to what ever happened to other system molds, like the Lynx or 5200...

--Zero

I wonder how they got ahold of the mold...

--Zero

Darn practical solutions. Has he no respect for the fine art of random theorizing?

well... there goes my wanting to buy one! now, all I'm left with is the emptyness caused by the "random therorizing" being shot down. Well Theres always the new Nintendo DS to randomly therorize with!

speaking of random theroizing... you think the DS will have some sort of link to this dental device?

The best part is that the guy on the other side of the line suddenly got real nervous when I mentioned the Atari connection.

Perhaps they're not actually supposed to have the mold, or be using it at all... I wonder what kind of laws there are about making products that look so similar (not that there's anyone left to sue them of course).

Actually, I'm rather surprised that you were able to get someone on the phone who knew anything at all about it. Normally, I assume that any phone operators are mindless salesmen who know nothing of the behind-the-scenes operation. Perhaps the dental equipment industry is more sincere.

--Zero

--Zero

I'm not sure I believe it. Maybe they did just get a good deal on the mold, but I think if I were in the business of selling expensive professional imaging equipment, I'd tell everyone it wasn't really a game console too.

There are many many suppliers of custom plastic cases, so why should your product look like a Jaguar unless you've developed a way to use the existing Jaguar hardware?

-Bry

I'm reviving this thread because I happen to have my bi-annual teeth cleaning session at my dentist's this afternoon at 4:30!!  

I'll make sure to look around and inquire about this coveted machine!  :)

Wear a large overcoat so you can smuggle it out of the office... ;)

(You can return it after we know what's inside... or not...)

I have been sifting through all the E-mails about this new OralImager of a thing, and it just amazes me how so many of you talk without doing any real research. "Must have Jaguar hardware if it uses the Jaguar shell", "Cartridge is permanently attached"... geez, I have seen some people laying this on REAL thick.

>AHEM!< Anyway, here are a few FACTS about the imager after calling the company producting this. At least this was straight from their mouth.

Apparently this device is a modular design. The Atari Jaguar was not a bad choice. You have the cartridge for the added memory, the CD-Rom area for some future add on, and yes, it looks like the joystick area was modified for a handle. I like how they hang the handheld imagers on the sides of the Jaguar. I always thought that should have been used for something.

The gent on the line said that he bought the molds from Atari years ago (Wonder which incarnation of Atari?) and said he has some of the original black ones that we are used to. The top part of the shell is unmodified, the bottom received the most modifications. What was the power button is some clear plastic fill in. Not sure if it is a switch or not.

He (Steve), said that the device sells for aroung $5000-$6000 (sounds about right for medical equipment). I let him know that if interested, many Jaguar fans would LOVE to have the chance to recase their Jags in a white casing, and what the cost of the shell would be. He said he would look into it and get back to me.

That is where we stand. He is fairly nice from when I talked to him, and who knows if he will get back to me, but like someone said before, I was suprised that he knew what the Atari Jaguar was, etc etc.

And yes, it would be great if he would want to sell at least the top half of the shell. Maybe even a cartridge shell or two. You know, castings that were not exactly perfect. :)

It's still a possiblity. All I have to say is don't badger him and give him a few days. Let's see what he comes up.

Take care everyone,

Doctor Clu

(And Adrian... love the Newton symbol!! Jaguar is fav game system, Newton is my favorite handheld.)

• 2 weeks later...

So, did anyone try to contact this dental HotRod Jaguar units manufacturer and swing a deal for cases?

I called them just to get information and the HotRod runs between:

$5,500.00 - $8,000.00

HOWEVER, I was in the inital phases of researching this and didn't think to ask for production department or anything about *just* the cases.

Anyone think it's going to be possible to get stock on white Jaguar cases?

Then getting really anal, can they be gotten, previous to the "HotRod" logo being stamped on them?

I thought I read something about "doctorclu" trying to source these from them but I haven't heard anything since.

If anyone cares to respond I'm all ears.

Ciao,

ElMaloWulfMan®

pcman@inetnebr.com

U.S.A.

Earth