IGNORED

WHY DID ATARI NEVER RELEASE GAUNTLET FOR ANY OF THIER HOME S

BLACK ADDER

It makes me sooo mad In my opinion Gauntlet is not only one of the games Atari has ever made but one of the best period. I remember going into Round Table Pizza as a kid with my cousins and playing it. I was always the warrior my cousin Phillip was Merlin Danny played Questor and Louise was Valkyre. It wsa so awsome. Especially in the mid eighties with all of the Wizards and Warriors movies like Connan Beastmaster Excalibur Dragon Slayer etc etc etc. You can find a good conversion of this game now for the Playstation. Midways Arcade Classics the Atari Collection volume 2. My question though why didn't Atari ever release their own game for their own system? Nintendo released an ok version of it, and the Atari 7800 system had Dark Chambers which might have been Gauntlets original predecessor but was without question an inferior game. Lets see Gauntlet was in the Aracades in 1985. The Atari 5200 could have handled this game with the right programers working on it. It even could have done the speach.(remember berzerk did way back in 83') It was never even released for the 7800 400 or 800 systems. Did Atari loose it's rights to market its own game after giveing it to Nintendo? Or were they simply afraid that one of their own systems couldn't have displayed own of their own games as well as Nintendo or someone else. Does anyone know if I'm wrong and it was in fact released to a home system and if not the real reason why?

Bumbed fan

Gauntlet was a post-split Atari Games title. Hence, Atari Corp. had no rights to the title unless they licensed it from Atari Games. They seem to have licensed a lot of games for the Lynx, but didn't for the 7800.

This is why Gauntlet was released by Tengen (Atari Games home game subsidiary) for the NES & Genesis.

well..since Atari didn't release a home version of Gauntlet for any of their platforms, I had to do the next best thing and get Gauntlet IV for the Genesis. I tell you one thing, Atari certianly knew how to program for the 68000 processor and they certainly figured out a thing or two on programming for the Z80. The gameplay is tight and accurate in the Genesis version and the music is still some of the best I have heard the Genny crank out.

The RPG mode actually enhances the game without hampering it...highly recommended.

quote:

Originally posted by :

gauntlet was released on most every console / computers except the atari game consoles but the computers...

the atari 8bit version sux... but anyway...

ahem! I think the 8-bit Atari version ROCKS! i have both the Atari and the C64 versions which are EXTREMELY similiar, the C64 uses a few more colors, but I actually like the Atari version better with less colors, because the artists did a better job of making things look better with different shades of the same color. My brother tried both versions and he agrees with me too. I still play this game on a regular basis, it has a LOT of levels and an expansion disk with a couple hundred more levels too, so all in all, it has more levels than the arcade version (same with the c64 version). By the way...if you hook up a disk drive to the XE console, it can play this game too, so technically an Atari CONSOLE does have Guantlet available for it!!! As far as the 5200 being able to do it, yes, it could have (considering it has the same processing power of the Atari 8-bits since that is exactly what it is (an atari 400 repackaged), but the memory limitaions would have limited the amount of levels (without a bank-switching cart anyway). But, the 5200 was already discontinued and Atari split up into two seperate comapanies (Atari Corp. and Atari Games Corp.) by the time Gauntlet was released in the arcades (by Atari Games Corp.), so that's why it never came out on the 5200 or any other atari machine (by Atari anyway-Mindscape published the C64/Atari800/XL/XE versions).

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Don't quote me on this, but I believe Gauntelt was in the works for the 7800.  I'd have to look at that part list again.

Tempest

Tempest,

It was in the works, and was being programmed by US Gold in the UK.

I have a shot of the programmer (and his name) somewhere.

Karl

It was in the works, and was being programmed by US Gold in the UK.

I have a shot of the programmer (and his name) somewhere.

It was actually a team from Gremlin Graphics that did Gauntlet on C64 for US Gold here in the UK, so it's a possibility they had something to do with it...

Any reason you felt the need to bump a 2 year old thread? :D

No particular reason, I was just searching for a thread and came across this one... sorry :sad:

Mayhem UK - The 7800 version was definately in house at US Gold, see attached (from ACE May 1990).

Karl

post-3800-1088963553_thumb.jpg

I had to do the next best thing and get Gauntlet IV for the Genesis.

Gauntlet IV for the Genesis is by far the best home version of the game released before the current gen systems.

Gauntlet was released on disk for the Atari 400/800/XE, but I don't think it was under the Atari label.  I guess Atari thought that Dark Chambers was close enough.  

Tempest

Dark Cavern served as the basis for the arcade version of Gauntlet.