IGNORED

SMS: Very disappointing

sku_u

Worst system ever?

No, that'd be the Channel F, and then the INTV (I'd flip flop that if Utopia and Shark! Shark! didn't exist), and then the CDi, and the Watara Supervision, and then the SMS . . .

I wouldn't mind eventually owning everything NOT on this list . . . Mind you, I have owned a GG and converter in the past, so I guess technically I have owned one . . . But the native GG games are much better.

. . . It's basically a Colecovision with more colors, even lamer controls, and even more of an antipathy to scrolling . . .

Can you pass the crack pipe when you're done with it ...?

Waiting for the Colecovision equivilant to the Sonic games ...

every SMS platform game just looks awful compared to even a Wisdom Tree NES game to me, and come to think of it, worse than the Quest for Tires games on the CV

well - looks like I won't be handed the crack pipe for a while ... it appears to be getting a lot of use ...

:P

Worst system ever?

No, that'd be the Channel F, and then the INTV (I'd flip flop that if Utopia and Shark! Shark! didn't exist), and then the CDi, and the Watara Supervision, and then the SMS . . .

I wouldn't mind eventually owning everything NOT on this list . . . Mind you, I have owned a GG and converter in the past, so I guess technically I have owned one . . . But the native GG games are much better.

You could pretty much subtract the Intellivision and add game.com. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you.

Worst system ever? What about the RCA Studio II? And the Intellivision doesn't belong on a "Worst Of" list. True, the controllers needed a major re-design, but the games were good. Utopia, Shark Shark, Diner, Hover Force, Thunder Castle, and so on..... Games that good wouldn't be on a bad console.

I like the SMS , i have a huge SMS collection thats still growing. Sure there is some shovelware but the majority imho are pretty damn fun. There are alot of titles that graphically amazed me considering it was an 8 bit.

Currently i am playing y's

Worst system ever? What about the RCA Studio II?

Never seen one . . .

And the Intellivision doesn't belong on a "Worst Of" list. True, the controllers needed a major re-design, but the games were good. Utopia, Shark Shark, Diner, Hover Force, Thunder Castle, and so on.....  Games that good wouldn't be on a bad console.

Well, they hired very talented people to try and un-shoot that dog . . . And it could have worked, if the graphics weren't actually worse than the 2600, the sound wasn't annoying, and the controllers weren't the most hideous things ever devised by man . . .

If only the CV or Arcadia had people to shill for them like the INTV does . . .

VGA summed it up best, I think: I really don't see the point in hanging on to systems that have no draw to you, if there's no real love why keep it around?

And therein lies the ultimate answer to all of this. If you don't like it, ditch it.

However, if you do want to give the SMS a real trial, you could always decide what games you don't like, ditch those, and keep a Power Base Converter on hand to slap on your Genesis (1st Model). The PBC can play SMS carts and cards, and it's less shelf space. Just slap all the SMS games you do like with your Genesis carts and keep the PBC with your accessories.

I'd recommend Sagaia if you can find it, too. It appeared on the SMS and Genesis, and the Genesis version is great. The SMS version is worthy.

Also, Fantasy Zone II skipped a lot of systems, but it did land a place on the SMS. Thunder Blade is an alright game. Lord of the Sword has the funniest title ever, and some interesting gameplay. Alien Syndrome really shines. R-Type is, in my opinion, a fine title, though it isn't TG16 quality, of course. Phantasy Star is a must have if you've any RPG bones in your body.

Well, they hired very talented people to try and un-shoot that dog . . . And it could have worked, if the graphics weren't actually worse than the 2600, the sound wasn't annoying, and the controllers weren't the most hideous things ever devised by man . . .  

The graphics are much better on the Intellivision than they are on a 2600. Even me, being the Atari fanboy that I am can see that. The graphics are closer to the 5200 in terms of quality.

What games are you basing this opinion on?

I do like a couple of the games on the SMS, but all in all I think it is the worst system made, also.  :sad:

Worst system? I think the SMS is FAR, FAR from that. I bet you haven't even tried these awesome games...

Golden Axe Warrior

Zillion series

Robocop vs. The Terminator

Bomber Raid

Cyborg Hunter

Sonic series

Columns

Moonwalker (who cares if MJ's in it?)

Outrun Europa

Wonder Boy II and III

Maze Hunter 3-D

Missile Defense 3-D

I didn't expect so many people would actually hate the SMS...

The graphics are much better on the Intellivision than they are on a 2600. Even me, being the Atari fanboy that I am can see that.

Overall, I'd have to agree, though the later 2600 games kinda destroy the "edge" that the Intelly displayed: SOLARIS, CALIFORNIA GAMES, BATTLEZONE, SPACE SHUTTLE, ROBOT TANK, F-14 TOMCAT look as good as any Intellivision game I've seen.

Of course, the 2600 had the advantage of a 15 year life and the best developers.