IGNORED

How to hook up a Jaguar to a monitor?

goatdan

All right...

As mentioned in another post, I know that I can hook up my Jaguar to a monitor if I have certain types. What monitors are those?

More importantly, perhaps... Has anyone figured out a way to make a Jaguar VGA box so you can hook up your standard computer monitor?

I was working on a box for the falcon so you could do both vga and composite in one cable, maybe it wouldn't be that hard for the jag. I'll look into it.

Another thing you might try would be to get one of those vga converters from your local electronics store, and plug the composite cable of the jag into them.

The only problem that I can see is that your Jag is 50hz I belive. This might cause some issues with the converter.

CMH

I would guess a CGA monitor should work well with a Jag, you need a monitor that will scan at 15kHz I believe.  So Arcade monitors should work too.

(I know a CGA monitor will work for JAMMA boards, and SCART TV's work with JAMMA boards, and Jags work with SCART TV's :) )

Older arcade monitors will work, CGA monitors will not. The Jag outputs analog RGB at 15kHZ which is what most of the older arcade monitors accept. CGA is digital not analog.

Mitch

I was told that CGA would work.  As far as I am aware CGA is analog on the RGB lines as is VGA?  Hence the invention of DVI ?

Nope, CGA and EGA are digital, VGA is analog. DVI is the new digital version of VGA. The reason VGA monitors don't work is that they run at 30kHz or higher and the Jag is at 15kHz.

Check out this article for more info. :)

Mitch

50hz, 15khz... potato, potato...  :roll:  

I knew there was a 5 in there somewhere :D

50 Hz is the horizontal refresh (scan goes from bottom of the screen to top 50 times a second).

15kHz is the Horizontal refresh, so the scan beam goes from one side of the screen to the other at 15kHz..

@mitch : I wasn't aware of that, saved me some cash, as I was looking for a CGA monitor to use in my arcade system to replace the dead monitor in that. :) ah well :) chances of finding a cheap 25" CGA monitor that worked were slim anyway :)

More importantly, perhaps...  Has anyone figured out a way to make a Jaguar VGA box so you can hook up your standard computer monitor?

Yep, I use an XRGB-2 Plus upscan convertor (from www.play-asia.com) to use my Jag on a standard VGA monitor. Be warned, this is as expensive as all hell and will look like crap if you use a composite cable. You really, really want to be using RGB SCART or at the very least S-video to input to the box - once you've knackered the image quality by using a shoddy video standard you can't make it look good again ;)

The main reason I bought it was for the RGB input - you'll have to rewire this to use a SCART cable as it's the Japanese version (same connector, different pinout...go figure :?) but it looks awesome with my arcade boards, and that's all that really matters :) Redant, among others, make a variety of VGA boxes that only support composite/S-video inputs, and they'e a LOT cheaper; just bear in mind that the image quality won't be great when you use them, as the higher overall standards involved in VGA monitors will show up any flaws in the transmission mechanism you use to get the pictures to them.

Good luck :)

Stone

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1080 Amiga monitor that shows the Jaguar color in shades of green.  Any idea how to make this work better?

Thanks!

Yep, sounds like you're running in 'greenscale' :D We had problems with this at JagFest, until someone thought of pressing all available buttons on the screen :D

Stone

I have an old Toshiba TV which also accepts RGB input. According to the specs I found, it will sync at 15KHz, so that looks good, too.

However, the Jaguar RGB cable I have (came from a former developer) has IIRC a 9-pin connector, the Toshiba has a 15-pin connector. Anyone know how to wire a connector that will make it work? :)

I did try buying an off-the-shelf 9-pin to 15-pin convertor, of course it didn't work. :(

I have a 1080 Amiga monitor that shows the Jaguar color in shades of green.  Any idea how to make this work better?

Thanks!

Yep, sounds like you're running in 'greenscale' :D We had problems with this at JagFest, until someone thought of pressing all available buttons on the screen :D

Stone

I had the same problem on my Atari SC1435 monitor...the button on the front must've gotten switched on during my move into my new house and I was very dissapointed when I got it back into my kiosk and saw all green. Especially since I had just had the thing repaired (bad flyback), and didn't have the money to buy a new one.

Luckily it was just user error :)

I have an old Toshiba TV which also accepts RGB input. According to the specs I found, it will sync at 15KHz, so that looks good, too.

However, the Jaguar RGB cable I have (came from a former developer) has IIRC a 9-pin connector, the Toshiba has a 15-pin connector. Anyone know how to wire a connector that will make it work? :)

I did try buying an off-the-shelf 9-pin to 15-pin convertor, of course it didn't work. :(

What kind of 15 pin connector is it? Dsub, HD Dsub??

Mitch

What kind of 15 pin connector is it? Dsub, HD Dsub??

Mitch

Incidentally, this wouldn't happen to be the Toshiba TIMM would it?

Mitch

• 3 months later...

You're probably going to have to find the pinouts for the Toshiba TIMM and create a 9-pin to 15-pin adapter for it. Shouldn't be too hard.

As for myself, I use my Jag with both my NEC Multisync 3D (15Khz and 31Khz) and Commodore 1084 monitors.

However, when I first got my Jag from a friend of mine at work, I had to open it up and hack it before I could even use it. It seems that while he had it in storage something slammed into the back of the unit and broke off the last four contacts of the AV port. I then removed the RF modulator unit and put in a 15-pin plug for a customized AV box I had constructed. Later, I decided to remove the 15-pin plug and replaced it with a PlayStation AV plug hacked from a PS Multi AV out box that Sony put out. This would make it easier to use off the shelf cables including an S-Video Monster Cable that I normally use in conjunction with my Mac.

For RGB use, I made my own box that contains a EL1883 sync separator chip (to get sync channels for RGB from Composite Video) and a Sony CXA1145 RGB chip (taken from a Sega Genesis) for amplification. I also made several custom cables to use with the box so I can use all of my other consoles.

The first picture, RGBBox.jpg, is my RGB box. It used to be a NAKI VGA box for the Sega Dreamcast. It has a section of a Xbox S-Video box grafted in the back for the purpose of holding the Audio and Video plugs. The light colored cable on the left is my Xbox RGB cable.

The second picture, MultiOut.jpg, is the Sony AV box where I got my AV plug from.

The third picture, AVport.jpg, shows the AV plug in my Jaguar. You can also see where I covered up the damaged Jaguar AV port. The Jag's AV port is where I got all of my signals from and soldered my wires directly to the contacts.

post-5181-1084169817_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1084169818_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1084169819_thumb.jpg

You're probably going to have to find the pinouts for the Toshiba TIMM and create a 9-pin to 15-pin adapter for it. Shouldn't be too hard.

As for myself, I use my Jag with both my NEC Multisync 3D (15Khz and 31Khz) and Commodore 1084 monitors.

However, when I first got my Jag from a friend of mine at work, I had to open it up and hack it before I could even use it. It seems that while he had it in storage something slammed into the back of the unit and broke off the last four contacts of the AV port. I then removed the RF modulator unit and put in a 15-pin plug for a customized AV box I had constructed. Later, I decided to remove the 15-pin plug and replaced it with a PlayStation AV plug hacked from a PS Multi AV out box that Sony put out. This would make it easier to use off the shelf cables including an S-Video Monster Cable that I normally use in conjunction with my Mac.

For RGB use, I made my own box that contains a EL1883 sync separator chip (to get sync channels for RGB from Composite Video) and a Sony CXA1145 RGB chip (taken from a Sega Genesis) for amplification. I also made several custom cables to use with the box so I can use all of my other consoles.

The first picture, RGBBox.jpg, is my RGB box. It used to be a NAKI VGA box for the Sega Dreamcast. It has a section of a Xbox S-Video box grafted in the back for the purpose of holding the Audio and Video plugs. The light colored cable on the left is my Xbox RGB cable.

The second picture, MultiOut.jpg, is the Sony AV box where I got my AV plug from.

The third picture, AVport.jpg, shows the AV plug in my Jaguar. You can also see where I covered up the damaged Jaguar AV port. The Jag's AV port is where I got all of my signals from and soldered my wires directly to the contacts.

post-5181-1084170099_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1084170100_thumb.jpg

post-5181-1084170101_thumb.jpg