IGNORED

Question about ET

ForceInfinity

I had a question and was wondering if someone with some knowledge of the innerworkings of the game or maybe HSW could lend insights to this.

Back in the day when I wasted way too many hours on this game as a kid, I was goofing off with it and actually got the countdown going for the mother ship. I also managed to call out Eliot as well. What happened was that I managed to get it to where Eliot was in the forest right as the ship got there. When that happened, it was strange because the Eliot disappeared, the ship was in its place, and the game became stuck.

Anyone know why this would happen? Was just curious what the story was with that.

SeanB

From http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26et.htm

· BUG: Landing pad –

(1) The Left Difficulty switch (which is supposed to determine the landing conditions with Elliot) doesn’t work. Elliot can’t be present when the spaceship arrives, regardless of the setting. The ship will always crash down on Elliot, locking up the game (picture #5).

(2) Extend E.T.'s head just as the mother ship arrives. E.T. will be too tall and his feet will stick out the bottom of the ship as it flies away (picture #6). The head-raising ‘sound’ will also continue to play until the ship drops you off. {Russ Perry Jr.}

Yep...I think it was an oversight. If the other humans are present, the ship will not arrive. I think that there is a missing instruction that would have handled the eventuality of Elliot being on the screen (either by disallowing it as with the others, or by placing the Elliott sprite below the ship (so he can be present like in the movie).