IGNORED

S-video for the 7800?

johnnywc

I just got my board today, installed it and I am getting no audio at all (just a very slight buzzing while traveling the different screens of Adventure) :(

I will dig out a 7800 games and see if the problem is only for the 2600 side...

Is the audio coming from the wires that were soldered to the resistors or does in come from the chip that was pulled? (Just want to know where to start looking) - thanks.

Just to jump in, most of the USB capture devices do have a bit of a lag and really aren't good for playing games-- they need to take the video, capture it, send it via USB, decode it on the PC, and then just display. (basically, it has to encode, transfer, and decode a full MPEG2 stream) Since it's external, there's a lot of lag. (the video card doesn't have access to the signal before all the work is done)

The ATI All in Wonder cards (and many/most? internal capture cards) do work entirely differently, using an overlay, and latency is absolutely not an issue. On my P3/1ghz with an AIW8500, I've done plenty of games on everything from a Flashback 'console' to an Xbox with no problems at all. You're monitoring the signal as it comes in.

It really depends on the chipset and what it is designed for.

This is for Danno... FYI I have been earning my living in electronics for the past 33 years. Now I don't claim to be an expert, always trying to learn new things. Danno do you have a Metcal iron to do your 7800 mod? I do and if you don't know what a Metcal is then perhaps YOU should have some supervision! 8-bit's instructions are very good and even novices or hobyists should be able to do the mod very easily with the good pics and well written instructions.

I don't know, because I haven't tried the S-video thing yet, but on my old.old ATI AIW card I could capture live TV and record it and play it back quite well with no latency. That card only has 16 MB of memory on it, pretty lame by today's current video cards with 128 MB or more. As far as .rar files, never ran across them before, did do a google search and found out about them, downloaded an extractor, etc. My strengths lie in hardware, not software. I wish I had time to learn how to do some programming to write my own game for the Atari with the player and missle sprites. I just never got very far, been too busy with things like designing and building my own house and just this week finished helping some people with wiring a dual 240Watt laser cutting machine. Customer paid $325K for it. It was a fun and interesting project.

So Danno before you judge someone, get the facts and remember there is ALWAYS someone a little better and smarter than yourself. The above respectfully submitted to the 7800 forum . PS, I thought we were all here to learn and have some fun.

Well, I installed my 7800 vid mod from 8-bit today. The electrical was a piece of cake with his great pics and instructions. I would mention though for those of you that have not done it yet two things:

1. drill your holes for the jacks using 17/32 and 19/32 for the larger one and hold the holes up towards the top of the sloped rectangle as shown in the pic.

Drill them from the INSIDE. Also when you lay down the big power supply cap, you have to cut out a "door" in the upper shield so it will fit. I haven't tried audio yet or S-video, need the adapters but the composite video does look very nice on my new 27" TV! Gone is the rf noise, the muddiness of the colors, now crisp and vivid. The text on the CC2 looks much better and is easier to read. All in all 8-bit did a great job on the 7800 vid mod and it is well worth your time and money to do it to your 7800! It is just so much more fun to play!

PS my maria chip was in a socket which held the mod board up a bit but there was still plenty of pin contact in the socket and it works just fine.

If you don't have one of these mod boards and he gets tired of building them, you'll wished you had bought one!

I concurr.  All in all an excellent job!  I now have my 5200 and 7800 with 8-bit's video mods, and I cannot recommend them enough.  :love:

I have installed three of 8-bit's 5200 video mods and they are awesome! Easy to install, and the only permanent modifications are drilling holes in the expansion plate on the back. I look forward to installing a few 7800 s-video mods as well. :D

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
I have added the install manuals to the web site (in zip format) just click on the "more info" button on the main page of the mod you are wanting. There is a link just above the pictures that you can download from. Sorry about the crappy RAR format.

Mike:

I did not find this on your site. Where is the manual?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• 2 weeks later...
I concurr.  All in all an excellent job!  I now have my 5200 and 7800 with 8-bit's video mods, and I cannot recommend them enough.  :love:

I have installed three of 8-bit's 5200 video mods and they are awesome! Easy to install, and the only permanent modifications are drilling holes in the expansion plate on the back. I look forward to installing a few 7800 s-video mods as well. :D

..Al

821773[/snapback]

I did an S-video mod to my 7800, though I used bits from several of the modification instructions that are online to get the optimum video quality out of a combination of different parts of the circuits used in the various mods, it was well worth it and I now have my 7800 hooked up to my Commodore 1084S monitor and the games have never looked sharper! Not too mention the 2600 games like Solaris and Pitfall 2! Better get hopping on that mod Albert, it's well worth it.

Gunstar, could you please post a circuit diagram? I've tried several of them unsuccessfully on a PAL 7800. Too bright or too dim or rolling picture. :(

Mike, any news on the mod for us PAL folks in Australia, UK, etc.?

The directions provided with this are really good! It only took me about 25 minutes to do everything. Everything seems to work great too!

I did run into something that I haven't been able to figure out. The audio works fine and so does the composite video. However, instead of the yellow RCA connector being composite video, it's the white one. I checked the other two and they're either chroma or luma (I'm not sure which is which or how to tell.)

I checked the color coding of the video wires multiple times, and I can't see anywhere that I made a mistake. Any idea why the white is the composite and not yellow? I'm okay with this, but the second problem is how do I tell which is chroma and which is luma? (I want to cut off the RCA connectors and solder the wires directly to an s-video connector instead, that's why I'm asking.)

This is a really good product if you're considering it. The only drawback I can find is the dithering on some games can be a problem (like for Adventure), but it's not a fault of the s-video mod (as there are many games that look great.) It's just the game itself (since it was designed to be displayed over an RF signal not a direct signal like with this.)

My compliments on this awesome mod. Thanks!

I did run into something that I haven't been able to figure out. The audio works fine and so does the composite video. However, instead of the yellow RCA connector being composite video, it's the white one. I checked the other two and they're either chroma or luma (I'm not sure which is which or how to tell.)

I checked the color coding of the video wires multiple times, and I can't see anywhere that I made a mistake. Any idea why the white is the composite and not yellow? I'm okay with this, but the second problem is how do I tell which is chroma and which is luma? (I want to cut off the RCA connectors and solder the wires directly to an s-video connector instead, that's why I'm asking.)

848243[/snapback]

Plug each of the other two connectors in to the composite in on your TV. One will give no picture, the other will give you a black and white, but otherwise normal, picture. The connector with no picture is Chroma and the one with the black and white picture is Luma.

As for why the colors are wrong, you probably reversed a couple of the pins when you popped them into the 7pin connector.

Mitch

As for why the colors are wrong, you probably reversed a couple of the pins when you popped them into the 7pin connector.

848336[/snapback]

I'm reviewing the color coding of the wires now. They're all in order.

4-Pin, looking at it from the top (left to right):

Grey, Orange, Green, Brown

7-Pin, looking at it from the top (left to right)

First 3 Audio: Black, White, Red

Next 4 Video: Black, Yellow, Purple, Blue

As for the chroma and luma.. I can't tell if the other two are correct. I'm getting scrolling video on both of them. One looks kinda black/white, but the video is not stable to see a picture. The other one has color, but scrolls too and is distorted.

Any other ideas? I'm completely lost as to where it's gone wrong. Anyone have know which RCA plugs connect to which portion of the stereo 1/8" phono plug? I could do a continuity test to make sure the cable is right.

post-6815-1115126036_thumb.jpg

Edited by ericd

I also checked the wires soldered to the resistors. They're correct too. In order (left to right), brown, gray, green, and orange shorted between the two.

Could my wires going to the socket be soldered in wrong? I'm looking at it now and I think it's different than the picture, but I can't tell.

It looks like: Yellow, Black (inbetween these, assuming this is ground), purple, and blue. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thanks.

Edited by ericd

I finished my AV mod .. and I discovered that I have a faulty Video Cable. Mike is sending me a replacement. Hopefully that will give me the video I expect.

On another note .. I drilled the holes for the outputs. The video was easy as the nut is screwed on the outside of the case. The audio was more difficult as the nut is screwed on the inside. So instead I epoxied the audio socket in place. This works well.

Plug sequence: Black, White, Red .. Black, Yellow, Purple, Blue.

I still can't seem to get the video right on this and I'm all out of ideas.

All I can think of is the video jack might be wired wrong that is why I'm getting composite video out the wrong RCA plug. So if someone could please verify for me the traces from the video cable when plugged into the jack of the video wiring harness map correctly, I would really appreciate this.

This is what mine goes to:

Red RCA (center pin) - Black wire, (shield) Yellow wire

White RCA (center pin) - Purple wire, (shield) Yellow wire

Yellow RCA (center pin) - Blue wire, (shield) Yellow wire

Does anyone get something different?

Thanks a bunch!

This is what mine goes to:

Red RCA (center pin) - Black wire, (shield) Yellow wire

White RCA (center pin) - Purple wire, (shield) Yellow wire

Yellow RCA (center pin) - Blue wire, (shield) Yellow wire

Does anyone get something different?

Thanks a bunch!

851755[/snapback]

I have the same problem. Your video cable is improperly wired. Mike got some bad video cables. Ask him about another. I am awaiting another from him.

It should be wired:

Black is Ground (shield).

Yellow wire to Yellow Center. (composite video)

Purple wire to White Center (Lumina - B/W picture)

Blue wire to Red Center (Chroma - Add Color to Lumina)

Edited by Rob Mitchell

I have the same problem.  Your video cable is improperly wired.  Mike got some bad video cables.  Ask him about another.  I am awaiting another from him.

It should be wired: 

Black is Gound (shield). 

Yellow wire to Yellow Center.  (composite video)

Purple wire to White Center (Lumina - B/W picture)

Blue wire to Red Center (Chroma - Add Color to Lumina)

851868[/snapback]

Weird, I emailed him several days ago regarding this, but he never responded. Sounds like he already knows about this too.

At least it's good to know I'm not going crazy and something is definitely wrong. Thanks for your help.