IGNORED

could the atari jaguar ever handle the quake engine??

Andreaus44

While it may be possible to add SYSTEM ram to the Jag through the cart port, the Saturn memory carts you are refering too are only for saving games like the Jag's own memorytrack cart. I have a 1/4meg Saturn cart myself and this is what it is used for. if they actually add SYSTEM ram to the Saturn then I have been gravely misinformed and would like to know what Saturn games take advantage of the cart memory other than for saving games.

There are 1, 2 and 4MB ram carts for the Saturn. They were issued for Japanese releases, mostly for SNK and Capcom fighters.

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/RAMCompatibility.htm

Wow. I have been gravely uninformed about these ram carts and I think I even own one and didn't know it! Although mine is not on the list at the site, maybe it's a copy of one of those? I bought it thinking it was a cart strictly for allowing Japanese games to work on an american console, plus a save-game memory. I bought originally for saving my Hexen game, but it never worked for that. I figured I had a bad cart or something. here's a pic of mine, it's got a switch for 1M or 4M:

post-149-1076437236_thumb.jpg

While it may be possible to add SYSTEM ram to the Jag through the cart port, the Saturn memory carts you are refering too are only for saving games like the Jag's own memorytrack cart. I have a 1/4meg Saturn cart myself and this is what it is used for. if they actually add SYSTEM ram to the Saturn then I have been gravely misinformed and would like to know what Saturn games take advantage of the cart memory other than for saving games.

There are 1, 2 and 4MB ram carts for the Saturn. They were issued for Japanese releases, mostly for SNK and Capcom fighters.

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/RAMCompatibility.htm

Wow. I have been gravely uninformed about these ram carts and I think I even own one and didn't know it! Although mine is not on the list at the site, maybe it's a copy of one of those? I bought it thinking it was a cart strictly for allowing Japanese games to work on an american console, plus a save-game memory. I bought originally for saving my Hexen game, but it never worked for that. I figured I had a bad cart or something. here's a pic of mine, it's got a switch for 1M or 4M:

I had one of those... it worked well for several years until it finally went kaput.

Just so everyone knows... the additional RAM memory carts came in three configurations... 1 meg, 4 megs, and combo carts like the one listed above. There was no 2 meg cart, and there certainly wasn't a 32 meg cart.

Most of the games that required a cart came with it, though many games could be purchased separately. A few games could use the 1 meg cart but did not REQUIRE it (like Cyberbots.) The only game released in the USA that can use the ram cart is Marvel Super Heroes... use that 1 meg cart and you'll bring up an additional option in the option list to add some animation frames. Cool!

There are 2 or 3 games that came with their own specific cart... King of Fighters '95 did, as does Ultraman. KOf '96 may have one as well. The cart contains data ON THE CART that MUST be used in conjunction with the game CD or it simply won't run the game and you'll get an error message... the cart contains the background graphics or something like that. The regular RAM carts won't work.

Notice how I added absolutely nothing to the main topic of Quake on the Jag. I think it could have been done, albiet in a greatly compromised form.

• 3 years later...
A few friends of mine handle the QuakeForge project, so I've been picking their brains.

The main issue is not the processing power (the weakest machine I've seen running Quake was a 28Mhz 68030 Amiga 3000 w/o 3D accel) but RAM. If the Jag just had 1MB more RAM, it would not be an issue.

I still am trying to find this GCC port for the Jag for download, however, so I can set up a cross-compiler on my Linux box here.

I guess when you get right down to it, we gotta get past the yappin' and the yawin' and actually try it.

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

BLAST FROM THE PAST THREAD! YEEE HAAAWWW!!

Edited by JagChris

• 4 weeks later...

Pff, even the Megadrive/Genesis, can handle a Quake like engine, check out this video

. :cool: ;)

I dont see why the Jag shouldnt be able to handle not only Quake, but Halo! :D :P ;) .You just have to forget about the RISCS and code as much as posible on the mighty Motorola, check what it does for the aformentioned Genesis game!!!! :D I know that the Jag is not as fast as the blazing Sega Genesis, after all nothing beats blast processing (7.8 MHZ!!!), but with a little hard work, i know it can be done. Just ask guys like Gorf and AtariOwl :D .

A few friends of mine handle the QuakeForge project, so I've been picking their brains.

The main issue is not the processing power (the weakest machine I've seen running Quake was a 28Mhz 68030 Amiga 3000 w/o 3D accel) but RAM. If the Jag just had 1MB more RAM, it would not be an issue.

I still am trying to find this GCC port for the Jag for download, however, so I can set up a cross-compiler on my Linux box here.

I guess when you get right down to it, we gotta get past the yappin' and the yawin' and actually try it.

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

BLAST FROM THE PAST THREAD! YEEE HAAAWWW!!

Just preliminary work. Found out the amount of RAM needed and didn't have time to design a RAM cart for it. If I could get the Jag to it's peak 8MB of RAM, would run without much problem. Would be software rendering mode, mind you, but that mode would be on the J-RISC not the m68k.

WOW, this old but anyway isn't "blast processing" SEGA's own ViperWare? I think it was just a marketing thing.

Yes, it was accute retardation on the part of the Sega marketing team of that time.

I thought so now back to Quake on the Jag, "id" thought it was possible, it might had custom levels and if the JagCD was made earlier I think we would had seen it.

WOW, this old but anyway isn't "blast processing" SEGA's own ViperWare? I think it was just a marketing thing.

Yes, it was accute retardation on the part of the Sega marketing team of that time.

I thought so now back to Quake on the Jag, "id" thought it was possible, it might had custom levels and if the JagCD was made earlier I think we would had seen it.

heh, my original plan was a 2-piece game, cartridge held the game engine and an ISO9660 driver for JagCD. You then put your regular Quake CD into the JagCD and it pulled the game data off of that.

heh, my original plan was a 2-piece game, cartridge held the game engine and an ISO9660 driver for JagCD. You then put your regular Quake CD into the JagCD and it pulled the game data off of that.

On one has done that yet, use a Cart and the JagCD at the same time, it would grate to see in action. :cool:

On one has done that yet, use a Cart and the JagCD at the same time, it would grate to see in action. :cool:

The only reason it would work is because the original Quake CD's stored the ISO data on an audio track.

Pff, even the Megadrive/Genesis, can handle a Quake like engine, check out this video

I dont see why the Jag shouldnt be able to handle not only Quake, but Halo! :D :P ;) .You just have to forget about the RISCS and code as much as posible on the mighty Motorola, check what it does for the aformentioned Genesis game!!!! :D I know that the Jag is not as fast as the blazing Sega Genesis, after all nothing beats blast processing (7.8 MHZ!!!), but with a little hard work, i know it can be done. Just ask guys like Gorf and AtariOwl :D .

:D

It would be limited but it can be done.

Wow, it's running that full screen?? Why the hell did they have to window Beyond Tolerance if it could do flat shaded polygons?

Can somebody mention a PC FPS from the mid-nineties that actually worked to the Jaguars strengths?. I know that there probably isnt since the Jaguar is a pretty unique piece of hardware, but i was just wondering. I would also like to be pointed to a PC racing game that used only gourad shaded polygons, to get an idea of what a game of that style would look on our cat, i am sure it would look pretty cool. I usually imagine a cross between Virtua Racing and Battlemorph, it would look sweet :cool: .

How many polygons per second does the Quake engine display, anyway?. Would an engine like Hover Strike CDs work for a FPS?. Gorfs told us that if you moved the code thats for the M68K, to the other procesors, Strike would run at 60 frames per second, correct me if i am wrong.

Man, i gotta start learning to code, all this talk really facinates me, but usually get lost once you guys start talking seriously :D .