IGNORED

Anyone ever finish Pitfall II??

shining slade

Not only have I completed it, I did so once - ONLY ONCE - with a perfect score. Wow, I about went blnd dodging the bats and condors on that looooong climb up.

However, I would've had TWO perfect games, but I once grabbed Quickclaw first - which ends the game - forgetting to go to the right and collect the cave rat. Lordy, was I pissed about that little snafu.

Ditto, and Ditto!

13 minutes??? Wow...

@RC: the link to the map for second part is already posed above.  It's for 5200 and 400/800 only.  The map for the first part of 5200/400/800 and all other version of Pitfall II is here:http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/strategy_pitfall_2_graphic.html

And of course this composite one..taken from the c64 version though. But still nifty :)

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/stra...ommodore64.html

I have recently achieved a perfect score on the 2600 version (never played any other.) I actually scored 198900, and was pissed because I fell down a friggin' hole. At that point I was determined to get the "perfect score." I also forgot to get the rat during one run as well. I am interested in playing this on the 5200 one day.

13 minutes??? Wow...

@RC: the link to the map for second part is already posed above.  It's for 5200 and 400/800 only.  The map for the first part of 5200/400/800 and all other version of Pitfall II is here:http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/strategy_pitfall_2_graphic.html

And of course this composite one..taken from the c64 version though. But still nifty :)

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/stra...ommodore64.html

If you go hover your mouse over that picture it says "Motezuma's Revenge Level 1"

Somebody got their picture text mixed up.

I think that's one of the hardest games on the system. I've always like the Activision games the best over the rest for the most part. Kaboom gets pretty tough too! ;)

Yep. I have gotten a perfect score on the 2600, 5200 (1st quest only) and Colecovision versions of Pitfall 2. I just love the game. I spent an entire afternoon finishing off the 5200 2nd quest.

Has anyone else gotten a perfect score on the Colecovision version? For some reason, I find the CV version ten times harder than the 2600/5200 versions.

I've beaten Pitfall II on the 2600.  I was going to try to beat both levels on the 5200, but I found out that Twin Galaxies does not track scores on the second level.  

Don't tell me you only play games for TG scoring, Yancey. Its about the love of games, not recognition. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't really play for the recognition. I enjoy the competition. There's nothing more fun than 2 or more gamers learning a game and racing to get the best or the perfect score. Often we write the latest updates of our scores to each other. Twin Galaxies is a way of having these scores verified, so you know they are true and no cheating was used. This is my motivation to get really good at a game. :wink: I agree with you though, it is about the love of the games; I do love Atari 2600 games by Activision. Game on!

I'm one of the few who doesn't like this game.  Sure it's an impressive effort, and nice to see a little variation for a 2600 title, but the game is nothing  but an exercise in annoyance.  It really isn't fun dodging a condor 500 times while running down identical corridors.  

But then I don't care for Pitfall either.

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'd have to say that I don't really care for Pitfall II either. It's one of those games that everyone loves, and in some ways I feel like I should like this game, but for some reason it doesn't hold my interest. I'd have to say that the main reason for this (and here comes the really heretical part) is the music. A great achievement, yes, but it drives me nuts. It's very in your face and, for me, detracts from the game immensely.

I wouldn't say I hate Pitfall II or anything, but if given the choice I prefer a nice, somewhat quiet game of Pitfall! instead.

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'd have to say that I don't really care for Pitfall II either. It's one of those games that everyone loves, and in some ways I feel like I should like this game, but for some reason it doesn't hold my interest. I'd have to say that the main reason for this (and here comes the really heretical part) is the music. A great achievement, yes, but it drives me nuts. It's very in your face and, for me, detracts from the game immensely.  

I wouldn't say I hate Pitfall II or anything, but if given the choice I prefer a nice, somewhat quiet game of Pitfall! instead.

Heretic,

Try playing with the game muted. ;)

Count me among those who are not enamored with Pitfall II.

Technically? It's brilliant.

As a game? Tedious and unchallenging. Takes way too long to die. I've never lost all my points, I've always turned it off long before.

Still, I can't say I hate it. It's just overrated.

Count me among those who are not enamored with Pitfall II.

Technically?  It's brilliant.

As a game?  Tedious and unchallenging.  Takes way too long to die.  I've never lost all my points, I've always turned it off long before.

Still, I can't say I hate it.  It's just overrated.

I agree that it is not a very challenging game, and even getting a perfect score is not terribly difficult as long as you are careful and patient. It's great fun playing it the first time, and maybe one more time after that to try and get a perfect score, but after that it doesn't have a lot to offer.

I do believe that the snazzy graphics and sound, as well as the Pitfall! legacy, have helped propel this game as a favorite in the eyes of many (myself included). But there are many other games I'd prefer to go back and play time and time again before I'd go and play Pitfall II again. I did recently play it several times when testing the GBA Anthology. Was definitely very cool playing it on a small portable game system. :)

..Al

I think Pitfall 1 is overated. But Pitfall 2? That's amazing for a 2600 game then and still is.

Pitfall 1 looked exciting when it came out.. but when I actually played it, it seemed like I was going nowhere. All you had to do was keep going and stay alive until the time ran out. I hate that! (timed games.. which seemed to be a lot of Activision games). That's why I stayed away from Pitfall 2. But in retrospect, I think I really would have liked it... at least there's concrete objectives. And look at the whole solid world to explore. I really regret not playing it back in the day when it would have had it's full impact on me :|

I do believe that the snazzy graphics and sound, as well as the Pitfall! legacy, have helped propel this game as a favorite in the eyes of many (myself included).   But there are many other games I'd prefer to go back and play time and time again before I'd go and play Pitfall II again.  I did recently play it several times when testing the GBA Anthology.  Was definitely very cool playing it on a small portable game system.  :)

..Al

Oh, don't get me wrong. I lusted after this game when I first got back into collecting Atari. It was the one game I really had to have.

I had never played it or even seen it played back in the 80's. In fact, I didn't know anyone back then who had it (My circle of friends had moved on to the various 8-bit computers in 1984.) But I did read all the glowing reviews in the video game magazines such as Electronic Games. If I remember correctly the praise was for the graphics and sound, not the game play. Of course I didn't notice this at the time.

I was just disappointed it had all the great eye candy with no great play to back it up. Could it be the first Modern game for the 2600? :D

*dodges flames*

• 11 years later...

Still waiting for someone to beat my Starmaster high scores. icon_wink.gif

I've seen those scores. You must have been psychic. I find it unbelievably difficult to keep that first space station alive at the Starmaster Level. I mean you need to be almost perfect and be really fast to clear those sectors or that first station is toast.

There also is some strategy involved, especially in the higher levels. Just clearing the sectors as fast as possible won't save the first station.

Hint: You have to use the map. :)

I have used the map. Perhaps I'm just not fast enough. If I'm not mistaken, the speed at which a station is destroyed is dependent on how many enemy ships are adjacent to the station. That's where I start. The station usually dies while I'm still trying to clear the sectors directly adjacent to it. I know it depends on the sectors that are occupied above, below, right and left of the station. I'm not sure about the diagonals