IGNORED

Philly Classic

Joel D. Park

I would have loved to gone, but Philadelphia is quite a drive from California. Does anyone know if there's such an annual event in the San Francisco Bay Area? I've been out here less than a year, and while I've hooked up with some collectors out here I am not aware of anything along the lines of a Classic Gaming Show..

..Al

Hi Joel,

I definitely plan on attending the Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas. However, it would be nice to have an event locally (at least, locally to me!) where I could meet other collectors in the Bay Area. Plus, I'd be able to tote lots of stuff to such an event, vs. flying out to Las Vegas where I have to be very choosy about what I take along (leaving space to bring back tons of goodies! Or just having tons of goodies shipped home ).

If no such event exists in the Bay Area, I may have to organize one sometime in the future..

..Al

Was that you? I couldn't remember who I was playing Ballblazer with. That was only my second time ever playing that game (and probably my last). It just isn't my kind of game, too much movement :P

I can't wait for the CGE. Now I know what to take and how much I can display (I had too much stuff and too little time). Next time I'll have my prototypes running so everyone can play. I'll also get them dumped (there wasn't enough time). I can't wait to meet the programmers, I want to get my Xari Arena proto signed.

Tempest

I gave 40 bucks for it. I got it from the fellow who was getting all his prices directly out of the digital press guide. He said, the guide says 60 bucks but I'll take 40... What could I do? :-) He was excited when he sold it, he yelled "I Sold It!!" :-)

That was the only really rare find. It was just awesome to be there and hang out with all the Atari guys.

If you're in California, maybe you can go to the next Southern California Classic Collectors meet. Nothing as big as PhillyClassic, but a great way to spend an afternoon with some fellow collectors.

That's a bit far to drive for me, we need something along those lines for Northern California. There must be a classic gaming club here in Silicon Valley where it all started!!

..Al

Yep, it was me. You totally OWN3D me in at ball blazer .

So Tempest, did you get everything you wanted from Philly. I saw you buy the Compumate Keyboard. Get any other awesome stuff??

I got Miner 2049er Volume 2 and some great new homebrews. Thrust is awesome, and the 256 Game multi-cart works beautifully. QB is also very cool but I haven't taken alot of time to play the game.

The Compumate is awesome, I still don't know how I managed to snag that baby before everyone else. I also got a shrinkwrapped Bearenstain Bears from one of the Intellivision guys (I'm so bad with names), Tank Brigade, QB #48, a bunch of rare Intellivision boxes, a boxed Virtual Boy, some boxed Jaguar games, and a few Atari 400/800 carts. I just wish I had seen that Miner II cart before you did

QB is cool, I just haven't the paitence for puzzle games anymore. I used to love em' now they go to back of the pile. Funny how your tastes can change over the years.

Tempest

Yep, I agree with you there 100%. There was barely any room to walk around. I'm sure I missed looking at alot of stuff, but it was still alot of fun.

It was also very hot.

I mentioned how crowded the place was to a few of the staff guys. They had no idea it was going to be such a huge turn out.

Anybody know about any conventions here in Texas? I know that a few of you also live in Texas, and I haven't met another Atari collector in my area yet.  

You missed me, as I moved from Austin last August! Alex is still in Austin, though! I'm not aware of any classic gaming conventions there, though. Time to get one going! Given the high-tech nature of Austin there must be a good number of collectors there. And the fact that I could never find anything decent in thrifts there!

..Al