IGNORED

Help to fix an Atari 2800

eluccas

Hi!

I have one Atari 2800 and it have a problem: don't display correctly image. I have dissasembled and I think the problem is in the RF modulador. Opening the modulator box, I found one chip that I think is defective. However, I don't know what this chip is. It have an Atari code: 10174.

Anyone knows what this chip is ?

and does exist some equivalent ?

Thanks.

Hello Luccas:

If you were able to pinpoint a defective circuit, maybe you're able to perform the composite video mod, the video signals that are sent into the RF box are in composite format (chroma, luma, sync, audio). I think that's the only way to save your 7800.

Also try to use a 10db video booster to see if it helps.

BTW I live in Mexico. Is nice to see that many ppl in Latinamerica are getting into the Atari hobbie.

Feel free to emailme at: et2k@todito.com

@ Eduardo Ludday

You mean really a 2800 the japenese version of the 2600? Thats cool, I wish I had such a thing. I have many japanese games for the Nintendo consoles and some for Sega consoles.

But no for the Atari.

@ Both

The right link must call: http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp

I hope that will help you.

Matthias

[QB]Hello Luccas:

If you were able to pinpoint a defective circuit, maybe you're able to perform the composite video mod, the video signals that are sent into the RF box are in composite format (chroma, luma, sync, audio). I think that's the only way to save your 7800.

Hi !

Thanks for help.

Composite mod is a good option but the console is not mine, it's my friend's console, and he want to get "original" RF output, he not want to do any modifications.

Because this I'm try to find what is the C10174 chip in the RF modulator box.

BTW I live in Mexico. Is nice to see that many ppl in Latinamerica are getting into the Atari hobbie.

Thanks, I will write to you !!!

[QB]@ Eduardo Ludday

You mean really a 2800 the japenese version of the 2600? Thats cool, I wish I had such a thing. I have many japanese games for the Nintendo consoles and some for Sega consoles.

But no for the Atari.

Yes, it is the japanese version of Atari 2800

This is an interesting machine, it's look like an Atari 7800 (the case is the same) and the all switches are not mechanical, all difficulty, color-B&W are a "digital".

Unfortunately this Atari is my friend's console... :-((

The right link must call:

I hope that will help you.

Thanks for information.

I tried looking the part up and the closest match I can find is for Atari part number CO10174. It is a 14 pin linear IC LM3086, you should be able to pick one up at a well stocked electronics store. If you don't have one close to you the Atari dealer Best Electronics http://www.best-electronics-ca.com has them available for .80c US.

I hope this helps.

Mitch http://atari7800.atari.org

quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo:

Hello Luccas:

Also try to use a 10db video booster to see if it helps.

Feel free to emailme at: et2k@todito.com

I think I may be able to fix it if you forgot that atari 2800 is a japanese system. If you are using an american television, I beleive that may be the problem. You see, Most televisions only accept input from that country's brand of video game systems. An example is if you put a dvd from japan into an american dvd player,all you get is glitchy shit on the screen. Get it? If you don't, I'll explain the analogy for you. The atari represents the 2800. The dvd player represents the tv. Now do you get it? If you still don't I'd diagnose your atari 2800's problem is it's owner is a dipshit.

With all due respect, I think you're wrong Iandefor, look, USA(Latinamerica too) and Japan use NTSC format, Luccas lives in Brazil, that's in Latinamerica (South), a friend of mine owns a 2800 and it's NTSC, that 2800 Luccas is talking about is probably NTSC too, see?

What you're trying to say is that maybe his 2800 is having some sort of PAL/NTSC conflict (no way).

As for the DVD analogy, you mean that his 2800 has some kind of regional lockout circuit, but quite frankly I doubt it, as far as I'm concerned none of the VCS models came with regional lockout restrictions.

I just checked in the World TV Standards page, and Brazil is listed as PAL-M, what is more confusing is that some video hardware made in brazil that is being sold in Latinamerica is NTSC and I'm sure a couple of persons from BZ I met on the net a while ago mentioned they were using NTSC stuff too (maybe not all Brazil uses PAL hardware in order to watch TV stations from other adjacent countries or being able to use NTSC stuff that sells cheap over there).

Anyway that 2800 is NTSC, question is: Luccas is your friend's TV PAL or NTSC?

if PAL then Iandefor was right.

As for the DVD analogy with lockout circuits I still doubt it.

quote:

Originally posted by Iandefor:

I think I may be able to fix it if you forgot that atari 2800 is a japanese system. If you are using an american television, I beleive ...

y shit on the screen. Get it? If you don't, I'll explain the analogy for you. The atari represents the 2800. The dvd player represents the tv. Now do you get it? If you still don't I'd diagnose your atari 2800's problem is it's owner is a dipshit.

Hi !!!

Yes, I understand, thanks.

But I think this is not the problem.

As far as I know Atari 2800 uses NTSC color system, the same used in USA and others countries. Then I hope the 2800 work in any NTSC television. Is this correct, no ???

BTW, Atari's circuit is simple, old and did not have tecnology to "block" RF signal according TV type that the system is conected.

Right ???

But, TKS for help.

quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo:

I just checked in the World TV Standards page, and Brazil is listed as PAL-M, what is more confusing is that some video hardware made in brazil that is being sold in Latinamerica is NTSC and I'm sure a couple of persons from BZ I met on the net a while ago mentioned they were using NTSC stuff too (maybe not all Brazil uses PAL hardware in order to watch TV stations from other adjacent countries or being able to use NTSC stuff that sells cheap over there).

Hi !!!

Well, the PAL system used in Brazil, the PAL-M, different of the Euroepan PAL's, is very very similar to NTSC. Brazilian's PAL-M uses 525 resolution lines, 60 Hz frequency, like NTSC. Basically, the differences are the croma oscilator (NTSC is 3,579545 MHz and PAL-M is 3.575611 MHz) and the PAL is "alternate lines"; every scanline the signal is inverted en 180 degress. The intention of PAL-M is "correct" the NTSC color problems.

Due to this similarity PAL-M <-> NTSC conversion is easy. The 2600's from Polyvox uses the same PCBs from original 2600, with the little board that provides de necessary signal phases conversion and the oscilator cristal is changed. The 3 chips, TIA included, is the same as the original model.

quote:

Anyway that 2800 is NTSC, question is: Luccas is your friend's TV PAL or NTSC?

if PAL then Iandefor was right.

As for the DVD analogy with lockout circuits I still doubt it.

The TV used to test have both systems, PAL-M and NTSC. Of course, I adjust TV in NTSC mode. If you conect an Atari 2600, or other equipment, that use NTSC in a PAL-M TV the image will appear perfectly, except for the colors: the image show in B&W.

Because this I think the problem is not the color format.

Thanks for the help !!!

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

I tried looking the part up and the closest match I can find is for Atari part number CO10174. It is a 14 pin linear IC LM3086, you should be able to pick one up at a well stocked electronics store. If you don't have one close to you the Atari dealer ...

I hope this helps.

Mitch

Hi !!!

Thank you very much !!!

I will find this chip to buy and I will try to replace in 2800.

Thanks again for help.

• 4 years later...

To clarify a couple things.

The reason why japanese dvd's wont work in american players is the region code.

2nd off, Japanese RF is different than ours. Perfect example. I have a japanese pong system. I can get a fuzzy signal on channel 10, but never a clear signal because of the different frequencies. However, it works fine on my capture card, because it can adjust frequences from American to Japanese, to even PAL.

Its not the atari, its the tv ;)

Don't you DARE Audio/video mod that thing, that thing is ultra rare, leave it original.