IGNORED

Puyo Puyo clone..

CabaretVoltaire

I'm working on a Puyo Puyo type game (basic "engine" is finished now!) and was wondering which direction to take it in:

1) Vs style

You fight against AI opponents. Each time someone clears some blocks, some blocks are transfered to their opponents side. So the more you clear the harder it is for your enemy. You play increasingly hard opponents until you get to the "boss" and complete the game.

2) Continuous

No enemy, you keep playing and playing and playing. The point isn't to complete the game, it's to get a highscore. The higher your score the faster the game gets.

3) ?? suggestions ??

I would add both, but for option 1 two games will be on the screen at once (so I would display the game normally) and for option 2 only one game will be on the screen so I would display the game vertically (like Klax for example). Doing both options would mean two sets of graphics (and so a bigger rom, and a bigger more expensive cart if I'm lucky enough to get it published).

I agree with chris_lynx1989, I personally can't stand having to hold the Lynx vertically. I say include as many options as possible in the game; the more, the better. That way anyone who purchases the game will feel they are getting a better value, as well as giving people more of a choice as to what game mode to play. Can't wait to see it! 8)

Right, I've drafted out the AI in javascript and it's pretty good.. I've left it going for about 2 hours and it's still showing no signs of losing, and has a score of over 3,000 (that's one point per block removed). So things are looking good there.

I'll rewrite the AI routines in C over the next few days..

There's a known bug I have to fix in the collision detection (you can rotate your blocks into previously dropped ones), and I have to change the system a tiny bit as this wont be a straight foward puyo clone..

Once that stuff is done I'll post another alpha, and spend some time doing proper testing.. I'll be greatful if you guys could give it a try and let me know if you find any bugs, and also give me some feedback on the game mechanics. Once I'm happy that it's bug free and that the game system is well balanced and fun I'll move onto graphics and sound :)

Sadly I don't think I'll be doing comlynx as I would have to buy another Lynx + 2 eeprom carts.. I'll see if I can get anywhere using Handy. The game engine is wrote in such a way that adding comlynx support shouldn't be that difficult, it's just a case of being able to test it