IGNORED

Yahtzee for 2600?

popeal

Wow, I forgot about that one! Russ Babylon programmed that, and he actually sent it to me a while back. I was way too busy at work at the time to do anything about it (this was back when I was running the Nexus), but I'll add it to the 2600 archive this week. In the meantime, here's the ROM.

This Yahtzee is an amusing diversion...

A warning to Stella for Windows users: the display's a little off. The image for the die in the upper-right is repeated, so it looks like you have six dice rather than five, with these two having the same value. It wasn't until I tried the game with PCAE that I figured this out. (I also was surprised by the lower-than-expected scores I got for some items because of it!)

Also, it took me a little while to figure out the interface. In order to roll the dice, move the joystick up or down until no die or line item is highlighted. I accidentally rerolled all five a number of times doing this.

Otherwise, it's very enjoyable. Nice for a quick game break...

• 14 years later...

Okay, I know I'm bumping a REALLY old thread here, but I have a reason, I promise! :P

I was chatting with a friend about the same age as me a couple days ago, we both had a 2600 as a kid as our first gaming system, and we talked about how 'cool' it was to play board or other old games on the 2600 such as Checkers and Chess. I mentioned that Boggle was in development as a pet project by David Crane at some point, and he asked me if Yahtzee was very considered. I responded 'at the time? I don't think the system could handle that' but then wondered if someone had made a homebrew of it, as modern programmers are amazing and all that. Went looking on here and found this really old thread with a ROM file still attached, and it seems like it was a homebrew made at some point in the 90's, and not BITD?

Also, I couldn't get the ROM to display properly on the newest version of Stella, but given the age of the game, I can't say I'm shocked. ;) Anyone know if there's a newer or fixed version out there? Next time my friend visits I'd love to shock him by showing him this. :-D

This is an hack I made to fix the scanlines count which cause the display to jitter on the latest version of Stella (it can also happen with certain TV sets on real hardware). I also slighty altered the display routine so that the leftmost die isn't duplicated anymore in Stella, altough that's due to a bug in TIA emulation and not in the rom itself. (the original rom displays the dice correctly on real hardware as it does the hacked one)

Yahtzee_display_fix.bin

To eliminate flicker in Stella, enable the "phosphor effect": while the game is running, hit TAB, then select "Game Properties". In the "Display" tab set the option "Use Phosphor" to "YES". Stella will remember the setting.

post-10599-0-99079200-1443560384_thumb.jpg

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 8

This is an hack I made to fix the scanlines count which cause the display to jitter on the latest version of Stella (it can also happen with certain TV sets on real hardware).

Interesting that the original didn't jitter on my 1084S, I would have expected it to considering how much the scanline counts were varying.

Cool - thanks for the fix! Yahtzee is something I load up in Stella all the time as a time killer (especially good for being stuck on hold when on the phone with tech support).

A little weird seeing it without that extra die though. I've gotten used to ignoring it. :D

Now then...

How about a hack to fix the spelling of "sixes"? ;)

post-2641-0-17239800-1443634953_thumb.png