IGNORED

Atari 800 vs. Atari 800XL

Great Hierophant

The Atari 800 has two very important advantages, two cartridge slots and four joystick ports and an OS compatible with older software. It has two major disadvantages, one only 48KB of RAM max, and second no guarantees that a GTIA or the full 48KB of RAM will be inside the machine if you buy one used off Ebay (but it's quite likely). The Atari 800XL has its own advantages. First, it has 64KB of RAM which should be sufficient for any game and almost every other type of application. Second, it has a GTIA and an OS newer games expect. Third, it has BASIC built in. Fourth it has the Parallel Bus Interface. For compatibility's sake while you can temporarily replace the XL's OS with a OS/B in an XL machine, how difficult would it be to get games that require 64KB or an XL OS to run on a plain 800? Is there a way to add two more compatible joystick ports to an XL machine?

I don't think the second cartridge port is much of an advantage in the 800 as there are very few cartridges that take advantage of it. And the OS isn't a big problem, as you can get around that with a Translator disk for XL and XE machines. I also don't feel the two extra controller ports are much of an advantage--how many games actually take advantage of four controller ports on the 8-bit? And then how often will you have four people together to play those four player games?

I like the 800 for its tank-like, over-engineered chassis, but I'd take an 800XL or 130XE for normal day-to-day 8-bit use.

..Al

One game sticks out in my mind, M.U.L.E. I would love nothing more than to play it with three friends, although perhaps their simpler minds would reject its subtle genius. The Atari 400 and 800 are the only ways I know to play it with four controllers, (no unfair advantages!) Unless you would advise me to use the NES port...

Is there a way to add two more compatible joystick ports to an XL machine?

There is no way as far as I know (XL/XE use PIA Port B for bankswitching/disable rom) but you can use Multijoy 8/16 to connect 8/16 joysticks to your A8.

There are some compatible games available (http://www.infos.cz/raster/atari/hw/multigam.htm)

Is there a way to add two more compatible joystick ports to an XL machine?

Any fully compatible solution can't exist because the PORTB ($d301) is used for memory switching on XE/XL models(ROM/RAM/SELFTEST/MEMORYBANKS).

But here is another possibility: MultiJoy interface for up to 16 (!) joysticks connected to any XE/XL. Modification of software which is using 4 joysticks (PORTA $d300 and PORTB $d301) so that it works with MultiJoy interface is very easy.

If you are interesting in MultiJoy interface, you can visit my pages:

http://www.infos.cz/raster/atari/english.htm#MULTIJOY

http://www.infos.cz/raster/atari/hw/multijoy.htm

http://www.infos.cz/raster/atari/hw/multigam.htm

Oh, Schmutzpuppe outran me!

Yep ;)

But here is another possibility: MultiJoy interface for up to 16 (!) joysticks connected to any XE/XL. Modification of software which is using 4 joysticks (PORTA $d300 and PORTB $d301) so that it works with MultiJoy interface is very easy.

Right, currently I patched MULE and Dandy for Multijoy use.

Unfortunately I didn't own a Multijoy interface (yet) but it seem to run perfect on Atari800Win with Multijoy enabled.

I will get my interface soon than I can do final testing.

Btw. patching MULE wasn't so easy, it took a day :(