IGNORED

Hires & G2F

emkay

(because the G2F Thread is a huge one already, please put hires into this thread)

In Hires it would be better to try optimizing Graphics in one color and with most brightnesses/luminance-steps

In GED Mode and bitmap graphics and (hopefully) G2F will show PM multiplexing, we could gain cool gr.8 pictures with 8 brightnesses.

Without flickering this will be the best option not only for hires pics, but for pics with the highest density (320*240(192)*8C)

Ofcourse it is possible to set colours, but think about the prior restrictions.

And, on the other hand, this prior "bug" in hires can help saving CPU time, because you don't have to change "709" and have automatically a new colour for more "depth"...

download.php?id=19773

Hi all, I need some help.. :/

Amongst the many pictures I'm working on at the moment, (yes I'm addicted too :) ) I'm working on the hi-res picture "Chimera" (GED--) Please see the WIP images below....

As you can see, I need to create a Graphics 15 "Window" to draw the planet with the other colour registers and also do one midscanline register (709) change to finish the picture.

Is this possible with the available cycles??

I could do with some help with the manual raster settings. I have had not much success so far with this. I have seen Our Softs 3 mode g2f (included with the g2f download) but I don't know they acheived this in the program. I assume you can choose any register to change manually as long as this meets no more than the maximum cycles available. I know the Chimera picture isn't too great but I think this will be a valuable lesson for me and others in the forum to learn from.

any advise anyone? .. or preferably a step by step ;)

post-4724-1076897195_thumb.png

post-4724-1076897195_thumb.jpg

post-4724-1076897196_thumb.png

as far as i know the 5our soft screen was made with playing around with the GTIA modes... (i haven't checked the DLI part in the G2f file just by remembering the demo...)

if in a DLI the GTIA modes are changed "on the fly" and switched back to "normal" highres mode on a certain position on the rasterline GTIA will switch into antic e mode.... i am not sure if this helps you... ;)

you should check the g2f file and the desired Raster section...

and it might be that in charmode (antic 4, you can see the gfx mode in the collum next to the colour strips) this effect does not work...so a highres section there might be the solution...

if in a DLI the GTIA modes are changed "on the fly" and switched back to "normal" highres mode on a certain position on the rasterline GTIA will switch into antic e mode....

Thanks for that,

I have to remember all this stuff because it's been some time since I coded anything on the A8 ! .. Yes I remember that when you set the GTIA bit during Graphics 8 mode it gives Graphics 15 (Antic E), I have been checking out the raster settings in the Our Soft Screen but I can't see how they have set the mode and positioned it correctly in the scanline.

Any other advice anyone....

??

/me hopes you will put a mini-tutorial on how to prepare such hires graphix (esp. how to set values for color and PMG).  :)   :idea:

What do you mean exactly?

I would apreciate an import function that is making it possible to adjust all available colours by hand until you have the colours in the best combination for easier editing with the XL's features...

I'm still feel uncertainly when it comes to enhancing hires graphix.

Especially I don't know how to set colors (or shades) that are combined together with sprite colors... :roll: How to match everything...

Also I'm wonder how to place sprite underlay so that it look good (without visible sprites where I don't like them to be).

So can you publish here a simple step-by-step of making MOONFACE??? :idea:

Did you notice that your MOONFACE picture look too dark on A800 emulator (even on Jakub.act pallette!) ??? :?

Hi all, I need some help.. :/

any advise anyone? .. or preferably a step by step ;)

Well, can you post the g2f file of your work in progress, maybe the others (me included ;) ) can fiddle a bit with it.

It seems we can always use GED-- mode without badlines in HiRes. We don't need a 5th Playfield color in HiRes, so no charmodes are needed. Instead we can use 5th player color (same register as 5th PF: 711) and use a lot of GED to solve Tezz's problem.

I'm still feel uncertainly when it comes to enhancing hires graphix.

Especially I don't know how to set colors (or shades) that are combined together with sprite colors... :roll: How to match everything...

Also I'm wonder how to place sprite underlay so that it look good (without visible sprites where I don't like them to be).

So can you publish here a simple step-by-step of making MOONFACE??? :idea:

Preparing on the PC a picture would be the first way...

a) create one for youself

b) Use a tool to shrink a picture until the abilities of the A8 are reached

So for a Hires Picture you can try to reduce (or create) a picture to(at) 320*(192)240 and 3 colors.

After the picture is finished, just set the brightest color to the darkest color.

Then you can import the picture with 2 colors and rebuild the 3rd color with the PMg.

Then comes the "hardest" work: Redraw the Graphics until PM fits behind the Playfield color and try to keep the looking as the image was built.

Did you notice that your MOONFACE picture look too dark on A800 emulator (even on Jakub.act pallette!) ???  :?

I noticed that G2F is mostly a bit brighter than the emulator..

Analmux wrote...

Well, can you post the g2f file of your work in progress, maybe the others (me included  ) can fiddle a bit with it.

It would be great to see if you can work this one out, I'll post the WIP tomorrow for all to fiddle with ! :)

Hi all ,

I guess I could swop the colour registers around to use a Player underlay. So in other words, as Tebe said negative the screen so 709 becomes te background colour with 710 painted out to show that colour. As I remember 712 if the border colour in Graphics 8/0 so this won't leave ugly raster bars on the border. So yes that's a good idea.. :)

The priority will need to be set not to show the PM over PF2(709) Normally the default is to show the player over the 710 background register and colours the overlayed playfield 709 with the same luminance value like a transparency. Which priority setting do I choose for this?

I guess it's time for me to dig out my mapping the Atari to refresh my memory

Thanks all

Hi!

The time has come... Today I'd like to present you a picture that was shown at QUAST PARTY 1996. It was done by QBA, with using "POWERGRAPH" editor by FOX.  :)  

Is there anybody willing to help on converting this piece of art into G2F  :?:   It was just started...  :roll:

For setting the PMg and without getting blind, G2F needs a Zoom mode for the PM Setting mode.