IGNORED

Hires & G2F

emkay

change colors 709<->710 = Negativ (Screen..Negativ)  

set 709=$00, 710=$xx and PMG Colors=$xx

? ...yes...but does that actually change (invert) the graphics bits in the bitmap??? The bit data should be EORred. My suggestion was just to use the 'change color' option to swap 709 and 710. I don't know if 'Negativ' has the same effect.

Hi!  

The time has come... Today I'd like to present you a picture that was shown at QUAST PARTY 1996. It was done by QBA, with using "POWERGRAPH" editor by FOX.  

Is there anybody willing to help on converting this piece of art into G2F  It was just started...

:wink: that's a coincidence. I just thought of the same picture today....but I couldn't find it on my PC harddisk. Maybe I'll try tomorrow (a little tired now).

The priority will need to be set not to show the PM over PF2(709) Normally the default is to show the player over the 710 background register and colours the overlayed playfield 709 with the same luminance value like a transparency. Which priority setting do I choose for this?

I don't know if you can set priority (GPRIOR $d01b) in HiRes mode, I think the current version of G2F doesn't support GPRIOR yet. But with GED-- turned on it can be solved by a midrasterline change at the top of the screen.

For setting the PMg and without getting blind, G2F needs a Zoom mode for the PM Setting mode.

Yes, that's a good point.....also when you try to fill in positions in the Sprite window strange things happen. Try to type in position 128 and you end up with something like 37 :P (or is it fixed now :ponder: )

Hi,

I have managed now to complete the manual raster settings for the Chimera picture :) (Thanks to Dracons post earlier) for the colour and mode change although, when I'm drawing in zoom mode in the midscanline changed area of Antic E I get a solid vertical line down the boundary between the graphics 8 and graphics 15 modes? Is this a G2F bug. I've not had chance to test this is the emulator yet. In my manual raster settings, I have had to swich to Graphics 9 by setting bit $40 into Prior then setting $00 straight after to get Graphics 15 in the area required. maybe this is causing the line? When I first applyed the rasters the line was not there it appeared when I started editing in zoom and it will not go, when you draw over it in zoom it does actaully draw over the pixels but when you zoom back out the line reapears again?

Any ideas? I will post the G2F file later today with a listing of the raster settings I have used because I'm at work at the moment ;)

@tebe

In order to show "what is possible" it would be a great thing if it would be possible to set the ANTIC modes by hand.

It would be enough if the user could switch between f<->e and 2<->4 per ANTIC line.

If you think about an interlace mode, please put a function in to set the time between frameswitching.

As for setting PMGs in ZOOM mode, there was an answer already posted. :yawn:

You can find it here and this is the first part of my post... That was what TeBe said about this idea so far...

@tebe

In order to show "what is possible" it would be a great thing if it would be possible to set the ANTIC modes by hand.

:? It's already done (from some time) !!! Take a look at this:

change_pixel_per_row.png

Do you need my assistance about this? ;)

Or am I forced again to translate another part of G2F's manual :?::roll:

You can change gfx mode also with using EDIT RASTERS command.

It's done when changing two oldest bits of $d01b register (GPRIOR):

$00 (%00000000) GTIA is turned off, may switches on 4-color mode

$c0 (%11000000) 16-color mode, you can change only brightness of color.

$80 (%10000000) 9-color mode, you can change every color

$40 (%01000000) 16-shades mode, only 1 color in shades

When changing this register, you alter sprites' priority as well (...).

If you think about an interlace mode, please put a function in to set the time between frameswitching.

nope. It would suck if it were done in future. Because Graph2fnt should work and show non-interlanced gfx.... And there's another TeBe's program for interlace lovers - it's called XL-PAINT v1.9. :D

@Heaven,

That's not so simple.... ;) TeBe had complete source of XL-PAINT that was originally programmed by Stanley/USG. This source I got from Stanley in the past (it was written in crossassembler on Amiga). And afterwards I posted it to Vasco, in order to search anybody who can finish/expand this tool. And so, TeBe did it!!! XL-PAINT v1.9 differs from XLP v1.5 particurarly in more available colors - 16 ones instead of only 7.

There is also a possibility to convert PC's pix through a special converter (that prepares them for XLP) - but it's not very easy task as I noticed.... And finally, X-PAINT v1.9 works best on emulator only due to some things, that shouldn't be mentioned here.... :| It's a pity few people tried it, maybe in some cases XL-PAINT v1.9 would come in handy for somebody else.... :roll:

What 'bout your experiences in JET GRAPHICS PLANNER, by the way??? :D

As for setting PMGs in ZOOM mode' date=' there was an answer already posted. :yawn:

You can find it here and this is the first part of my post... That was what TeBe said about this idea so far...

When the Picture screen is zoomed to the "full" PC screen, you can "overview" the whole picture & edit the PM Positions in a row ... so where is the problem?

If you think about an interlace mode' date=' please put a function in to set the time between frameswitching.[/quote']

nope. It would suck if it were done in future. Because Graph2fnt should work and show non-interlanced gfx.... And there's another TeBe's program for interlace lovers - it's called XL-PAINT v1.9. :D

A timed switching between different Pictures must not end as an Interlace, but it can be used for animations and demonstrations of what is possible...

Chimera Progress so far,

Here's the G2f of my work in progress attached to this post (see png preview below). Please Ignore the garbage on the right of the picture, it's not been edited yet. The ship will be moved out of the way to the left and this area will be drawn in as the planet.

anyway.....

As you can see, I have now set some manual midscanline rasters in the way I planned although, not without problems. The Antic E (2:1) 4 colour mode change on the right hand side of the screen doesn't function correctly. A vertical white line has appeared in between the graphics 8 and graphics 15 mode which cannot be removed? also, when editing the graphics 15 area in zoom mode the screen is drawn over in other positions than the cursor and the changes made are garbled when I exit zoom mode.

Have a made a lame error with my raster settings or is it too early in G2Fs development to edit with midscanline changes in effect? in other words, are there a few bugs to iron out.

Here are the manual raster settings I have used:

01. LDX $0E (Load X with colour reg value to change)

02. STA $D01E (Wait 4 Cycles)

03. LDA $00

04. STX $D017 (Store X to PF1)

05. LDA $00

06. STA $D01E (Wait 4 Cycles)

07. LDA $00

08. STA $D01E (Wait 4 Cycles)

09. LDA $40

10. STA $D01B (Graphics 9)

11. LDA $00

12. STA $D01B (Graphics 15)

This is set from Line 0 ranging to line 162 with global offset -8

post-4724-1077152270_thumb.png

chimera_with_rasters.zip

you don't have to explain the functions of the A8 to me. Registerchangings in Rasters are nothing new to me.

I did so in order to let you (and the others) know that changing gfx mode can be done in G2F in various ways.... ;)

By the way: many years passed since your MCS' slideshow was released.... And nobody else tried to something to improve non-interlaced atari gfx. Were you alone in the ABBUC that know about A8 possibilities and its registerchangings or they (ABBUC people and the rest) just didn't

obey you ? :roll:

A timed switching between different Pictures must not end as an Interlace, but it can be used for animations and demonstrations of what is possible...

Well, you used a "interlace" word so I thought it was in that context. Luckily it turns out you meant a kind of animation support in G2F. ;) Yes, TeBe said something about adding an animation/map maker in future versions of G2F. We will see if this happens there... :)

Tezz - I'm sorry I can't help you now. So far I used and was successful only at AUTOMATIC mode in midline changing. And it work for me as for my FIGHT image (a shield is done that way). :|

By the way: many years passed since your MCS' slideshow was released.... And nobody else tried to something to improve non-interlaced atari gfx.  Were you alone in the ABBUC that know about A8 possibilities and its registerchangings or they (ABBUC people and the rest) just didn't  

obey you ?  :roll:  

That's a good question.

Dalmatian Dog is just finished and published together with next version of G2F. Enjoy and learn from it!! 8)

What's new or newer in this version (v3.7.5.7) of G2F:

- added: support for 5th player (you can set it in desired area of screen)

- added: midline changes for Pixel=4 mode

(example: Grunwald_Dracon_TeBe.g2f)

- added: moving data in MoveX option (you can also decide of what data is to be moved - pmg/gfx/colors)

- fixed: some errors when creating eXEXcutable file for GED-- and when checking out for errors (CTRL+C -> Check)

- added: midline changes for Pixel=4 mode

(example: Grunwald_Dracon_TeBe.g2f)

[/color]

Shure the picture is working on real hardware?

Remembering that the GTIA modes are built with overlayed hires mode.

When switching off the gtia mode before the half of the scanline, hires mode will stand. Switching behind the half of the scanline it will turn into an antic e similar mode.

When in Antic e and switching back to a GTIA mode, you don't have all bit combinations for 16 luminances/colors.

If I am right, on the real ATARI the middle of the screen must be in hires.

• 2 weeks later...

bug in displaying hires mode

you must runing attached files only with real Atari (emulator not work properly)

R - change color in raster

S - players, missiles graphics

bug if:

RRRRRR

SSSSSSS

bugs free if:

RRRRRR

SSSSSSS

Dog_kolorowane na Atari.xex -> ok, bugs free

Dog_kolorowane pod G2F.xex -> some bugs

hires_error.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't been here for quite a long time.... Here you can see my exercise on creating colorful hires mode in G2F....

Maybe it's not the best one can do in G2F, but... I'm glad anyway. :D

To tell the truth this picture comes partly from my work that won in gfx-compo at QUAST PARTY 2003. :) And who's there? His nickname is PINOKIO (PINNOCHIO) and he is gifted musican and very cheerful dude. 8)

In case you don't know him and like to see his true appearance go there. ;)

post-3920-1079473163_thumb.png

pinokio_g2f.zip

Well, I haven't been here for quite a long time.... Here you can see my exercise on creating colorful hires mode in G2F....

Maybe it's not the best one can do in G2F, but... I'm glad anyway.  :D

To tell the truth this picture comes partly from my work that won in gfx-compo at QUAST PARTY 2003.  :)   And who's there?  His nickname is PINOKIO (PINNOCHIO) and he is gifted musican and very cheerful dude.  

Well it's a very characterized one. Especially the ear is .... erm.... wide angled ;) but it's a cool picture.

• 3 months later...