IGNORED

Problem with homebrew hardware

antron

Just so I understand this correctly, the games WORK with the PCB, you are just seeing the weird noise/paddle response? But, they function normally?

If that is the case, it is most definetely a noise issue and the boards obviously work (if they didn't, you wouldn't be seeing the game). You could try removing the metal shielding from a real cart and attaching it to your PCB, but you'd have to solder it to a ground connection in order for the shielding to work. But, it's worth a try if you have a soldering iron handy :)

Joe

Your Kaboom! screen looks familiar -- I was seeing the exact same pattern on my real Kaboom! cart when I had my 7800 hooked up using a NES switchbox. You could control it with the paddle and everything. Connecting it to a generic switchbox (with a switch) and using a different cable fixed the problem completely.

OK, I get the same thing with any TV I use, no matter where. I use a manual switchbox, but I get the same thing if I bypass it. I do have a very long, old cable - but it looks to be in good condition.

Also, the problem is not just affected by the paddles, when bombs fall in Kaboom! they shift and move. And in Super Breakout you can see that the darkness of the gray bar on the side is related to the colored bars.

I do not think shielding is my problem. The entire box is grounded and makes no difference open or closed.

EDIT:

Well, Thrust+ looks great. And the game itself is awesome.

I have tried another power supply (a brown atari one, 9V) that made no improvement to the homebrew boards.

post-4325-1077694182_thumb.jpg