IGNORED

Dont forget about 2D gaming

JagMX

Some game ideas simply don´t work in 3D , for example Boulder Dash.You need the overview in such games.

Other games, like Ego.Shooters wouldn´t work as 2D games, because there would be no surprise when suddenly enemies appear (this is the point in 3D Shooters, you don´t know where they are..).

in the 80s, 2D games and 3D games coexisted - we had great 2D platformers and 2D space-shhoters like R-Type and 3D rpgs like Dungeon Master or lots of isometric 3D games or wireframe/vector graphics 3D games - flight simulations, adventures like Mercenary 1-3 or Driller,Darkside &Co.

IMO 3D is now used in some games were it doesn´t make sense, it just has to be 3D.That is the problem.

Some games would be more playable as 2D games.

There are good 3D games, games that wouldn´t work in 2D - Ego Shooters, flight simulations etc.

But IMO there should also be 2D Platformers like Lode Runner, Donkey Kong, Mr. Robot etc. and more 2D space-shooters and maybe a new Boulder Dash for the Ps2/XBOX,GC.

Thimo

Some game ideas simply don´t work in 3D , for example Boulder Dash.You need the overview in such games.

Yeah...I remember trying to come up w/ 3D "sequels" in middle school (this musta been around 1986 or so). I think "Dig Dug" was a notably incredibly poor idea...

Other games, like Ego.Shooters wouldn´t work as 2D games, because there would be no surprise when suddenly enemies appear (this is the point in 3D Shooters, you don´t know where they are..).

"Ego.Shooters"?

Anyway, I disagree wrt "3D Shooters". For example, I think "Star Fox 64" is very much a good extension of old school shooters, with the primary difference being rather than just dodging left and right you can dodge up and down as well (and have to aim vertically not just horizontally as well)

"2.5D" is a cute but over-used term.

Its been used to mean:

3D graphics that are somehow limited (DOOM, where you couldn't make a bridge object that you could go over and under)

2D game play w/ 3D graphics (ala Viewtiful Joe)

Apparently, isometric views as well, ala Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters or Marble Madness)

And of course, once we get proper 3D displays ALL 2D displays trying to display 3D stuff, like Metroid Prime, might be called 2.5D. (After all, "50 First Dates" isn't a "3D movie" even though its as 3D as Halo...)

I just have to say the Star Wars Trilogy just doesn't work as a 2D platform type game.

well if it wasnt so hard...way to many enemies and your armed with an unhelpful blaster....

Unforgiving, yes. But to be fair, probably the fastest and most hectic action of any Star Wars titles. I'll take these SW 2D games over most of the 3D efforts based on the franchise (maybe not Rogue Squadron)

Ummm, how about the GBA? The GBA has become a haven for new 2D games (as well as some re-releases). There are 2D Metroid games, a couple new Castlevanias, re-releases of a few Super Mario games, and a plethora of new side-scrollers (some better than others). Ninja Five-O is a great one that comes to mind.

2D isn't dead, but many people aren't willing to shell out $50 for 2D games anymore. Personally, I think the GBA (with its lower-priced games) is a great place for 2D gaming.

2.5D was a term invented to describe games that have 3d graphics but are limited in some way by 2D rules or conventions.

If you want 2d, just by a GBA or GBA/SP!! :lol:

Remember people, when the SNES and Genesis existed 2D platformers were done to death. It's only natural for people to want to get away from them. Although I think it has been long enough that 2D can make a reasonable comeback.

Also I think one of the biggest problems during the PSX/N64/Dreamcast era was the programmers were still trying to get a grip on the technology. Alot of games had problems with the frame-rate and camera. I would not be suprised if alot of time was wasted just adjusting the levels and graphics/engine so the framerate was reasonable.

nah GBA isnt for me, i dont like playing games on a tiny screen, and i dont have little hands to easily fit and hit the buttons - its just to small all around - For me the best 2D gaming will always come from the Jaguar, Saturn, SNES, NES, NEO GEO, 3DO, and others ;)

im just glad to see a new 2D game comin out for the box in metal slug - i cant wait :)